WBB Home Stand vs ILS, INS, UNI and BU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBB Home Stand vs ILS, INS, UNI and BU

The Shocks (13-6, 7-0) begin a key 4-game home stand beginning Friday, Feb 1st, at 7:00 pm against Illinois State.

I think it will be very important for the Shocks to take advantage of this homestand because they finish with 5 of 7 on the road.

ILS (13-6, 5-2) ended the Shocks 7-0 start in Valley play last year defeating the Shocks 68-59 in Koch Arena, one of the Shocks 6 losses over its final 11 games in Valley regular season play.

The key for the Shockers will be controlling Illinois State's big 3:

Janae Smith, 6-2 So F, is averaging close to a double-double at 15.5 PPG and 9.1 RPG and shoots 48.4% from the field and 77.1% from the line. Smith is an Illinois girl who lead College of Charleston in scoring and rebounding as freshman two years ago and then transferred to Illinois State and sat out last year. Probably the Valley newcomer of the year and, if Illinois State wins the league, a candidate for Valley POY.

Candace Sykes, a very athletic 5-10 Sr G, averages 13.9 PPG and 5.5 RPG and is by far the Redbirds most prolific 3-point shooter taking 55% of her shots from beyond the arc and hitting 43-117 (36.8%) on the year. Alexis Foley, a 5-10 Fr G, is shooting 40.6% from 3 but on 90 fewer attempts than Sykes. Sykes was very tough on the Shocks last year.

Jamie Russell, 5-8 Sr G, averages 13.5 PPG and shoots 85% from the FT line. However, she is not much a 3-point shooter at 3-17 (17.6%). She has a non-stop motor though and has 48 steals in 19 games so she can be disruptive on the defensive side of the ball.

Keys for the Shockers:

1. Hopefully, Jaz Gordon is recovered from her concussion and is released to play after missing the last 4 games and Kelsey Jacobs ankle improves to the point she can play effectively. There availability could go along way in helping the Shocks deal with Smith.

2. I am going to assume that the primary responsibility for defending Sykes will fall upon Shocker sophomore Alex Harden who is probably the only Shocker who can match Sykes' size and athleticism. Alex needs to stay out of foul trouble.

3. Shocks don't want to get into a free throw shooting contest as ILS shoots 75.1% from the FT line as a team vs 69.6% for the Shocks.

4. The Redbirds outrebound their opponents by 5 per game. Rebounding has not exactly been a strength of this Shocker team. Again getting Jaz and Kelsey back in reasonably effective mode would be helpful here. If the Shocks can't hang with ILS on the boards than it will become imperative for them to take care of the ball and minimize turnovers.

The ILS game will probably be the toughest game of the 4 on this homestand, although you just never know for sure. I think if the Shocks can get by the Redbirds their chances of sweeping the homestand are decent.

Go Shocks.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 28, 2013, 03:07 PM.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    The Shocks (13-6, 7-0) begin a key 4-game home stand beginning Friday, Feb 1st, at 7:00 pm against Illinois State.

I think it will be very important for the Shocks to take advantage of this homestand because they finish with 5 of 7 on the road.

ILS (13-6, 5-2) ended the Shocks 7-0 start in Valley play last year defeating the Shocks 68-59 in Koch Arena, one of the Shocks 6 losses over its final 11 games in Valley regular season play.

Janae Smith, 6-2 So F, is averaging close to a double-double at 15.5 PPG and 9.1 RPG and shoots 48.4% from the field and 77.1% from the line.

Candace Sykes, a very athletic 5-10 Sr G, averages 13.9 PPG and 5.5 RPG and is by far the Redbirds most prolific 3-point shooter taking 55% of her shots from beyond the arc and hitting 43-117 (36.8%) on the year. Alexis Foley, a 5-10 Fr G, is shooting 40.6% from 3 but on 90 fewer attempts than Sykes. Sykes was very tough on the Shocks last year.

Jamie Russell, 5-8 Sr G, averages 13.5 PPG and shoots 85% from the FT line. However, she is not much a 3-point shooter at 3-17 (17.6%). She has a non-stop motor though and has 48 steals in 19 games so she can be disruptive on the defensive side of the ball.

Keys for the Shockers:

1. Hopefully, Jaz Gordon is recovered from her concussion and is released to play after missing the last 4 games and Kelsey Jacobs ankle improves to the point she can play effectively. There availability could go along way in helping the Shocks deal with Smith.

2. I am going to assume that the primary responsibility for defending Sykes will fall upon Shocker sophomore Alex Harden who is probably the only Shocker who can match Sykes' size and athleticism. Alex needs to stay out of foul trouble.

3. Shocks don't want to get into a free throw shooting contest as ILS shoots 75.1% from the FT line as a team vs 69.6% for the Shocks.

4. The Redbirds outrebound their opponents by 5 per game. Rebounding has not exactly been a strength of this team. Again getting Jaz and Kelsey back in reasonably effective mode would be helpful here. If the Shocks can't hang with ILS on the boards than it will become imperative for them to take care of the ball and minimize turnovers.

The ILS game will probably be the toughest game of the 4 on this homestand, although you just never know for sure. I think if the Shocks can get by the Redbirds their chances of sweeping the homestand are decent.

Go Shocks.
    Agree on all fronts. Dap is too small to handle their bigs. I hear Jaz will be back and hopefully Kelsey will be improved after another week of re-hab on a bad ankle. In Jody's post-game radio talk she was so pleased with the Shox heart and toughness. She gave praise to the seniors and Kelsey for toughness. She also said her previous teams wouldn't have come back like this year's Shox. I've never heard Jody give such praise to her team. Again, short of paying people to attend the game, I sure hope we get decent attendance. It's Friday night, come root on the Shox. Last year I believe we were close to 2000 when we were on our 10 game streak; lost and then the seats were empty.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
      I sure hope we get decent attendance. It's Friday night, come root on the Shox.
      I second that motion. This is a very key game for this season. Not sure I can call it a must win, but it would sure go a very long way to putting the Shocks in position to make a serious run at their first ever MVC regular season championship.

We had the same opportunity last year and were unable to cash in. Hopefully, this is our year.

Dana Eikenberg, filling in for Jody on the radio tonight, confirmed that they expect to have both Jaz and Kesley available for the Illinois State game Friday. Jaz is bound to be a little rusty after missing 4 games and Kelsey will probably still not be 100% with her ankle, but any quality minutes they can contribute will be helpful.

BTW, Dana did a nice job filling in for Jody tonight.

Hopefully, when the dust settles on the week Sunday evening it would be great to say that Shocker basketball is 19-1 in Valley play.

Go Shocks!

Comment

I second that motion. This is a very key game for this season. Not sure I can call it a must win, but it would sure go a very long way to putting the Shocks in position to make a serious run at their first ever MVC regular season championship.

We had the same opportunity last year and were unable to cash in. Hopefully, this is our year.

Dana Eikenberg, filling in for Jody on the radio tonight, confirmed that they expect to have both Jaz and Kesley available for the Illinois State game Friday. Jaz is bound to be a little rusty after missing 4 games and Kelsey will probably still not be 100% with her ankle, but any quality minutes they can contribute will be helpful.

BTW, Dana did a nice job filling in for Jody tonight.

Hopefully, when the dust settles on the week Sunday evening it would be great to say that Shocker basketball is 19-1 in Valley play.

Go Shocks!
        Just heard Kelsey's ankle is very serious; she wants to play, but could be out for most of the season. Poor kid. blown knee in high school, foot and back stress fracture in college, now tendons torn off of the ankle and it was done in practice. We'll see if she can go Friday, but she won't be the same.

Comment

Janae Smith, 6-2 So F, is averaging close to a double-double at 15.5 PPG and 9.1 RPG and shoots 48.4% from the field and 77.1% from the line. Smith is an Illinois girl who lead College of Charleston in scoring and rebounding as freshman two years ago and then transferred to Illinois State and sat out last year. Probably the Valley newcomer of the year and, if Illinois State wins the league, a candidate for Valley POY.

Keys for the Shockers:

4. The Redbirds outrebound their opponents by 5 per game. Rebounding has not exactly been a strength of this Shocker team. Again getting Jaz and Kelsey back in reasonably effective mode would be helpful here. If the Shocks can't hang with ILS on the boards than it will become imperative for them to take care of the ball and minimize turnovers.

Go Shocks.
          In regards to Alex, I read in today's Eagle the All American hype for Alex. I just don't get it. Why not just let her play, have a good season, win the Valley and if accolades come, great.

Comment

In regards to Alex, I read in today's Eagle the All American hype for Alex. I just don't get it. Why not just let her play, have a good season, win the Valley and if accolades come, great.
            I agree. Maybe she should should make the All-Conference team first. No doubt Alex has a nice tool kit to work with and has some potential, but it is hard to say what her ceiling is or will be. I don't have a problem pushing her to be all she can be, but the All-American hype is over the top at this point in time.

A good 1st step would be to lead the Shocks to their 1st ever MVC Championship. Friday night's matchup with ILS is a key game in that regard. Personally, I think ILS is the team to beat this year, at least in terms of talent.

One of the key individual matchups I am anticipating in this game is Alex on ILS Sr Candace Sykes. We will need Alex to be successful in this matchup if the Shocks are going to win this game. Maybe Jody has other ideas how she wants to matchup with Sykes, but Alex would be my choice.

Maybe Jody is just pushing the AA hype to try to generate some interest in her team. Fans will respond when they start seeing AA performances on the court. I don't think they will respond to talk.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 31, 2013, 02:09 PM.

Comment

WSU promoting the Illinois State game with 7 ticket give aways to fans in attendance tomorrow night:

Wichita State Athletics is rolling out a ticket extravaganza for the women's basketball game on Friday, Feb. 1 when the Shockers take on third-place Illinois State at 7:05 p.m.

Too little, too late to help much with attendance IMHO.

My preference would have been to run a #WATCHUS GO FOR AN ALL-TIME BEST 8-0 START IN VALLEY PLAY AGAINST ONE OF THE PRE-SEASON FAVORIITES media promotion throughout this week.

At least they are trying.

Comment

WSU promoting the Illinois State game with 7 ticket give aways to fans in attendance tomorrow night:

Wichita State Athletics is rolling out a ticket extravaganza for the women's basketball game on Friday, Feb. 1 when the Shockers take on third-place Illinois State at 7:05 p.m.

Too little, too late to help much with attendance IMHO.

My preference would have been to run a #WATCHUS GO FOR AN ALL-TIME BEST 8-0 START IN VALLEY PLAY AGAINST ONE OF THE PRE-SEASON FAVORIITES media promotion throughout this week.

At least they are trying.
                I'd prefer a 100% healthy team, but we need to know how to win even when not firing on all cylinders. This team has heart and deserves some fan support.

Comment

Does anyone have any updates on the health of our banged up players?

Comment

Originally posted by cmoore View Post
                    Does anyone have any updates on the health of our banged up players?
                    Ali Decker won't play tonight and don't know when she returns, Kelsey tore a tendon off of the ankle and will still tape an go, but I'm sure not the same. Jaz can play, but will be rusty.

Comment

According to Dana Eikenberg, who sat in for Jody on last Monday's radio show, Alie's current knee injury is a little more severe than her other knee she injured earlier in the year and may take a little longer, but she did not indicate how much longer.

Alie went down around November 5th with her left knee and returned for the Northern Colorado game on December 7th. So she was out about a month.

Alie then went out with an injury to her right knee against Missouri State on January 3rd. So she is just about a month out on that knee, but not sure what her current prognosis is.

From today's Eagle article:

Coach Jody Adams expects the Shockers to be close to full strength against the Redbirds. She said Gordon, who has missed the last four games with an undisclosed injury, and Jacobs, who sprained an ankle on the road swing last week, will be available this weekend. Decker’s return remains uncertain.
                      As @oldtimewomen's hoopcoach points out the real quesion will be how rusty will Jaz Gordon be after missing 4 games and how hobbled will Kelsey Jacobs be with her ankle. Kelsey tried to play last Sunday against Evansville but was not really effective.

Comment

According to Dana Eikenberg, who sat in for Jody on last Monday's radio show, Alie's current knee injury is a little more severe than her other knee she injured earlier in the year and may take a little longer, but she did not indicate how much longer.

Alie went down around November 5th with her left knee and returned for the Northern Colorado game on December 7th. So she was out about a month.

Alie then went out with an injury to her right knee against Missouri State on January 3rd. So she is just about a month out on that knee, but not sure what her current prognosis is.

From today's Eagle article:

As @oldtimewomen's hoopcoach points out the real quesion will be how rusty will Jaz Gordon be after missing 4 games and how hobbled will Kelsey Jacobs be with her ankle. Kelsey tried to play last Sunday against Evansville but was not really effective.
                        I actually caught the kids coming out of practice. As always very kind and polite to an old fan. Kelsey said she will give all she can, but she can tell the ankle isn't responding on cuts and jumps. A tendon torn off the bone will cause this. Jaz is excited to get back on the court. I see a winning attitude, but a damaged body will only let you do so much. I remember playing with a torn ankle and broken nose; really throws the shot off; not that coach wanted me to shoot that much :-)

Comment

I actually caught the kids coming out of practice. As always very kind and polite to an old fan. Kelsey said she will give all she can, but she can tell the ankle isn't responding on cuts and jumps. A tendon torn off the bone will cause this. Jaz is excited to get back on the court. I see a winning attitude, but a damaged body will only let you do so much. I remember playing with a torn ankle and broken nose; really throws the shot off; not that coach wanted me to shoot that much :-)
                          And I thought basketball was a non contact sport.

Comment

Great performance by the ladies to move to 8-0 in the Valley. Alex, Jessie, and Jaz were all on top of their game.

Just for the record, while I think the Illinois State coach is a good basketball mind, I don't have a lot of respect for how she conducts her program. Last year when they won at Koch, both she and her team made a show of celebrating on the court; then they made a show of doing a cheer during our intro video this year; then she delays the game and berates the officials because her own player decided to shove one of our girls instead of just walking out of bounds to inbound the ball; then she calls at timeout with 20 seconds to go in a double digit game and orders her players to press and attempt the steal while we were willing to run the clock out. I'm not saying you don't have the right to do that stuff, but people remember and it comes back around on you. Jessie deciding to take that layup at the end is no mistake. She was willing to run it out, but having #23 trying to steal it from her made her choice easy.
                            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                              Great performance by the ladies to move to 8-0 in the Valley. Alex, Jessie, and Jaz were all on top of their game.

Just for the record, while I think the Illinois State coach is a good basketball mind, I don't have a lot of respect for how she conducts her program. Last year when they won at Koch, both she and her team made a show of celebrating on the court; then they made a show of doing a cheer during our intro video this year; then she delays the game and berates the officials because her own player decided to shove one of our girls instead of just walking out of bounds to inbound the ball; then she calls at timeout with 20 seconds to go in a double digit game and orders her players to press and attempt the steal while we were willing to run the clock out. I'm not saying you don't have the right to do that stuff, but people remember and it comes back around on you. Jessie deciding to take that layup at the end is no mistake. She was willing to run it out, but having #23 trying to steal it from her made her choice easy.
                              We have a championship level team fans. And, we did get fans, lets hope for more Sunday when we sweep the first round of the Valley.

Comment

Working...
                              X