Lady Shocks at the Cancun Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Shocks at the Cancun Challenge

IF the Shocks can score enough they are capable of beating any or all of the 3 teams they face in Cancun. They are also capable of losing all three of these games.

1st up is the Missouri Tigers on Thanksgiving day at 2:30 CST. Mizzou is picked to finish in 12th (tied with Alabama) by the Coaches and 13th by the media in the 14 team SEC. Size-wise the Shocks will match up well with the Tigers. The key match-up could be 5-11 Shocker So. Guard Alex Harden vs 5-10 Missouri Sr Guard Sydney Crafton who leads the Tigers in scoring at 13.3 PPG and also grabs 3.7 RPG.

Other key players for the Tigers include:
    6-1 Jr Forward - Bri Kulas 12.7 PPG, 6.3 RPG
    5-9 So Guard - Morgan Eye 12.3 PPG, 5.0 RPG
    5-7 Fr Guard - Lianna Doty 10.3 PPG, 3.7 RPG
    6-1 Fr Forward - Darian Saunders 6.7 PPG, 4.3 RPG
    5-7 So Guard - Kyley Simmons 4.4 PPG, 1.0 RPG
    5-10 Sr Gurad - Liene Priede 3.7 PPG, 2.3 RPG

Mizzou is averaging 75 points per game in their 3 wins over St. Louis, Chicago State and Western Illinois. All three games at home. Not exactly a tough schedule to this point.

Reports on Richmond and James Madison to follow.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 18, 2012, 11:28 PM.

On the Menu for Friday at noon CST is the Richmond Spiders. Richmond is picked to finish 2nd in the 16-team A-10 conference. Richmond returns four starters from last year's 23-9 squad, including two of its top three scorers in redshirt senior Rachael Bilney (14.7 ppg) and junior Genevieve Okoro (7.0 ppg). Bilney sunk a school-record eight threes in a win over George Washington and led the Spiders with 60 long-range shots last season, while Okoro, an All-Conference third team selection, returns to lead the frontcourt after recording a team-best nine double-doubles in 2011-12.

Again the key matchup may be 5-11 Shocker So Guard Alex Harden vs 5-10 Richmond Redshirt Sr. Guard Rachael Bilney. The Spiders are 1-3 so far this year with a 10 point home win over Longwood and 3 single digit losses to #24 Miami and @ Boston University and @ Hartford. Statistical leaders are primary players are:

5-10 RSr Guard - Rachael Bilney 14.5 PPG, 2.3 RPG 44% (11-25) on 3-point shots.
    5-10 Jr Guard -Kristina King 12.8 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 50% (4-8) on 3-point shots.
    6-0 Jr Forward - Genevieve Okoro 10.3 PPG, 10.5 RPG
    6-3 So Center - Liz Brown 8.8 PPG, 5.5 RPG
    5-10 Jr Guard - Becca Wann 7.5 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 50% (3-6) on 3-point shots.
    6-4 Sr Forward - Ryann Dannelly 2.0 PPG, 3.0 RPG

Richmond has 3 other players on their roster listed at 6-3 but none play much.

Turnovers appear to be a litte bit of an issue for Richmond as they have 83 turnovers in 4 games (20.75 per game). Hopefully, the Shockers pressure D can do some business with Richmond.

Richmond will have a little size advantage on the Shocks, but I don't see it being anything the Shocks can't overcome.

Comment

The Shocks close out the Cancun Challenge with a noon contest on Saturday against the James Madison Dukes. James Madison is picked to finish 2nd in the 11-team CAA this year behind defending champ Delaware.

James Madison advanced to the postseason for the seventh straight season in 2012 and reached the championship game of the WNIT. The Dukes welcome back four starters from last year's 29-8 squad. The backcourt includes a pair of All-CAA guards in 5-7 Tarik Hislop, who topped JMU in scoring in 2011-12 (14.8 ppg) and assists (3.5 apg), and 6-0 Jr Kirby Burkholder (11.5 ppg). The Dukes also return 2012 CAA Defensive Player of the Year 6-2 So G/F Nikki Newman (5.8 ppg), the Dukes' top returning rebounder (7.8 rpg), and 6-1 RSr G Jasmine Gill (9.0 ppg). 6-0 So F Toia Giggetts (4.7 ppg), a strong contributor last year for JMU's frontcourt, also returns to the line-up.

6-3 Rsr F Kanita Shepherd, 6-3 So F/C Crystal Ross and 6-2 RFr G Jazmon Gwathmey will probably see about 15 minutes of playing time also based on the Dukes 3 games they have played to date.

James Madison is 1-2 with a roal loss to Virginia, a home loss to Quinnipiac and a home win over Murray State. Here are there stats for those 3 games: http://www.jmusports.com/fls/14400/s...3/teamcume.htm

Key matchups will probably be Jessica Diamond vs Tarik Hislop and Alex Harden vs Kirby Burkholder. Sounds like Nikki Newman could present a matchup problem for the Shocks, but that chore may go to Jaz Gordon. The Shocks will probably need solid games out of Michelle Price and Kesley Jacobs as well whenever James Madison has a bigger lineup on the floor.

James Madison has also turned the ball over quite a bit. 62 times in 3 games (20.7 per game). Another chance for the Shockers pressure to reap some rewards perhaps?

Roster depth may have a key impact on this game as both teams will be playing their 3rd game in 3 days.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 18, 2012, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know if these will be online or tv somewhere for us poor people that can't afford to be there??

Comment

Originally posted by NolenKemp View Post
          Does anyone know if these will be online or tv somewhere for us poor people that can't afford to be there??
          I know our less than stellar Shocker Vision won't have it. I looked at the Mizzou web site and it doesn't look like they will be web streaming. I haven't checked ESPN3.com yet as they sometimes have games. I think radio will be our best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
            I think radio will be our best bet.
            Yeah, looks like we will be going old school on this tournament.

Hope the Lady Shocks play well.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 20, 2012, 10:29 AM.

Comment

After looking at these 3 opponents it seems obvious to me that the Shocks will need substantially more than 15 to 20 good minutes of basketball that they generated in the last two games otherwise this could be a long weekend for them.

A consistent LSU-type effort and performance on their part will be needed IMHO.

Go Shocks!

Comment

@RoyalShock posted this on the men's board.

The Cancun Challenge twitter feed says the games are being streamed on CBS U Live, but it looks like premium only. One month is $15.

Looks like the Missouri (Thursday) and Richmond (Friday) games are on the schedule of live video events, but I don't see the James Madison (Saturday) game listed.

Edit: I found the James Madison game listed on Friday at the same time as the Richmond game so that is obviosuly an error. Looks like the Men's games are live audio only. The women's games seem to be scheduled as live video.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 20, 2012, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  @RoyalShock posted this on the men's board.

The Cancun Challenge twitter feed says the games are being streamed on CBS U Live, but it looks like premium only. One month is $15.

Looks like the Missouri (Thursday) and Richmond (Friday) games are on the schedule of live video events, but I don't see the James Madison (Saturday) game listed.

Edit: I found the James Madison game listed on Friday at the same time as the Richmond game so that is obviosuly an error. Looks like the Men's games are live audio only. The women's games seem to be scheduled as live video.
                  Great. The men are on TV as they were last night. Cox 260 or 2260 in HD.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                    Great. The men are on TV as they were last night. Cox 260 or 2260 in HD.
                    I haven't seen anything on whether the Ladies games will be televised or not. Anyone else have any info on this?

Comment

Shocks have never beaten Missouri. 0-4 all-time. Sounds like Missouri is a pretty good 3-point shooting team.

Shocker radio broaccast well synchronized with the online video stream.

Shocks struggling to score as is not uncommon with them.

Jessica is going to have to start knocking down some shots for the Shocks.

Michelle missed two point blank layups.

Kelsey has come in with some good minutes and her nice drive and score seemed to get the Shocks going.

Missouri's big advantage may be in the post. She is about the same height as Jaz and Kelsey, but she is also as big as Jaz and Kesley combined. She moves well and has a good touch.

Missouri 10 - Shocks 9 at the 11:15 mark.

Missouri 15 - Shocks 11 at the 6:03 mark. Missouri will be shooting a 1 + 1.

Shocks getting plenty of good looks. They simply can not make anything.

Missouri 15 - Shocks 13 at the 3:45 mark. Shocks something like 6-27 from the field.

Missouri 22 - Shocks 15 at the half. Simply are not going to beat anyone scoring 15 points a half. I think the Shocks are 7-32 from the field. Actually playing pretty good D.

Molly O'Brien is somewhat of a liability on both ends of the court but played quite a few minutes. Nobody really played well in the first half. No one.

Missouri 25 - Shocks 18 at the 15:53 mark.

Missouri 35 - Shocks 23 at the 11:18 mark. Just don't see it happening for the Shocks. Jessica has hit a couple of nice shots but the Shocks body language is not good. Shocks 10 - 43 from the field.

Missouri 40 - Shocks 28 at the 7:51 mark and that is after a 5 point burst by Jessica. Unfortunately, Jessica is getting no help at all on the offensive end.

Missouri 43 - Shocks 33 at the 3:59 mark. Jessica with a good 2nd half.

Missouri 46 - Shocks 40 with 1:16 to go. Chynna hits a trey to give the Shocks a chance.

Missouri 49 - Shocks 44. Final score. I think the Shocks were something like 16 for 61 from the field and missed 10 free throws. They did play well and hard defensively. The Shocks forced Mizzzou into 22 turnovers while only turning the ball over 7 times themselves to help keep them within range. Missouri has followed a perfect game plan. A soft press to use a little bit of the shot block falling back into a packed-in zone. A game the Shocks could have and probably should have won. Very disappointing and somewhat discouraging. Hopefully this kind of offense/shooting will not be the norm this year. If it is the Shocks will not go far.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 22, 2012, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Tough game for the ladies but they fought hard and I look forward to watching them play in the roundhouse and cheering them on to winning the valley

Comment

Really don't understand why outside shooting wasn't addressed in recruiting last year. With a couple of 3 pt threats this team would look totally different.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                            Really don't understand why outside shooting wasn't addressed in recruiting last year. With a couple of 3 pt threats this team would look totally different.
                            Jody from day one said, it is all about defense and the Shox played with heart, they played hard and they played defense. I know I've said this way too many times, but when the opponent forces them into a half court offense, we've got nothing! I do have to admit we did get some nice looks this game, but just didn't hit them. I'm seeing heading into the valley, the bigger athletes will be surrounding Jessie. Chynna, Kelsey, Jaz, Alex, Michelle. Give Daurice a chance to shoot, then pull her out if she doesn't hit. When the majority of practice and approach is defense, even good shooters can get out of synch. I believe Mizzou will beat LSU. They are more physical and have a more disciplined game planed.

Comment

No doubt Jody's emphasis is on defense. But you still have to put the ball in the basket enough to win. 44 points will not win many games. Considering our ineptitude on offense we did well not to get blown out in this game. I would expect to win the great majority of games where the Shocks hold the opponent under 50. Unfortunately, it didn't happen today.

Comment

Working...
                              X