No announcement yet.

Lady Shocks at the Cancun Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can you not be able to learn and coach offense when you play for one of the greatest coaches in history?

Or is Summit overrated in that she just out talented everyone else? I don't get it.

Comment

Got to disagree with you all. Passing up open shots is not in the play. Having horrible shooting percentage is not in the play. Stalling the ball while no one moves is not in the play. Not being able to make a three is not in the play. Look at those proudy ratings, its fairly easy to see what our problems are. You cant have 1 or two hot players and win a game. If you knock the FG percentage up just a little in any of those games, we would have won. Dont go running the coach into the ground because we have horrible shooting. They all know how to shoot, they have done it in the past. Teaching Basketball IQ is one thing, Teaching them to shoot is another. Sound like a lot of players need to start spending more time in the gym after practice to me.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
        How can you not be able to learn and coach offense when you play for one of the greatest coaches in history?

Or is Summit overrated in that she just out talented everyone else? I don't get it.
        Pat, in Jody's and Bridgett's years knew how to have great sets on offense. It wasn't just great talent. Jody is still a rookie coach. She did good in recruiting, but this isn't Tennessee; kids will leave to be able to play. I do believe we'll get through this. I only wish we didn't put so much emphasis on the Jody's connection to Summit. They did that at UCLA with so many coaches. I think only KU's Larry Brown did anything. Coach Wooden's former players didn't do so well as coaches. Walt Hazzard fell apart.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
          Jody is still a rookie coach.
          I have seen this sentiment expressed a number of times, but is it so? I can understand moving from one level to another and being considered a rookie coach at the new level. But when you have been at the collegiate level for a number of years, are you a rookie coach? She has been coaching on the collegiate level since 1996-97. No, you are not making the final decision as an assistant, but surely you are developing a coaching philosophy - both offensively and defensively - and are ready to implement those philosophies when you get your head coaching position.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
            I have seen this sentiment expressed a number of times, but is it so? I can understand moving from one level to another and being considered a rookie coach at the new level. But when you have been at the collegiate level for a number of years, are you a rookie coach? She has been coaching on the collegiate level since 1996-97. No, you are not making the final decision as an assistant, but surely you are developing a coaching philosophy - both offensively and defensively - and are ready to implement those philosophies when you get your head coaching position.
            Good point. My uncle once told me, good teachers or coaches (Same thing) are made, great teachers/coaches are born. Therefore, we have Wooden, Summit, 49er's Walsh, Rockne, and on and on. Hopefully, she wakes up, loses the arrogance of her pedigree and gets down to business.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
              Hopefully, she wakes up ...
              Or hires an offensive guru as an assistant. They did some nice things to create shots against LSU's zone, but not so much since? That was the only game that I watched any of, so I really have no idea.

Comment

You guys are something else.
                So, all this emphasis on how Jody is coaching but in fact if we had made a couple of missed shots in all of the games we have lost so far, which would have bumped our horrible shooting percentage up a little bit, we would have won the games and everyone would be happy and somehow we wouldn't be talking about Jodys coaching and inexperience or comparing her to other great coaches, except maybe in a good light.

The numbers speak for them self, Start listening.
                Any one here ever heard of KISS "Keep it simple stupid"

Comment

Originally posted by NolenKemp View Post
                  You guys are something else.
                  So, all this emphasis on how Jody is coaching but in fact if we had made a couple of missed shots in all of the games we have lost so far, which would have bumped our horrible shooting percentage up a little bit, we would have won the games and everyone would be happy and somehow we wouldn't be talking about Jodys coaching and inexperience or comparing her to other great coaches, except maybe in a good light.

The numbers speak for them self, Start listening.
                  Any one here ever heard of KISS "Keep it simple stupid"
                  First, I've made no comment on this thread regarding the coaching staff. That said, I guess I'm just not understanding your position on this. If indeed it was only a couple of quality, well taken shots that just didn't go in, I would understand it. However, on page one of this thread, you list a plethora of things you feel the players are not doing or doing wrong.

With any coach, the buck stops with them. Whether its the plays or their execution, how one brings the ball up, how one shoots the ball, a player's practice habits outside of team practice, the classroom, or so forth, it falls under the direction of the coach. If the players are just not that talented, they're the players the coach recruited and signed. It starts and stops with the head coach. That's the KISS of it.

Comment

Well since I started my comment out by saying "You guys are something else" and you haven't even posted in this thread, I guess I wasn't talking to you then. Maybe you should go highjack someone else's thread. And your right, the buck does stop with the coach. At the end of the day it is Jodys record. That said, I'm talking about how everyone is down on Jodys coaching and offense strategy. If the players did or didn't do just one of the plethora of things that I have said, we would have won. In fact if we just had the shooting percentage that the other teams had, we would have won big. In my opinion, shooting percentage is the players responsibility. How about we have a constructive conversation as to how a coach gets the teams shooting percentage up, considering how they all know how to shoot.

Comment

We took way to long bringing the ball down against the press. Constantly shoot last second shots will not increase shooting percentage.
                      Still taking to long to get the ball down the court. I hate seeing it walked down the court. Just a pet peeve of mine. Too many shot clock shots.
                      Without getting into the techniques of shooting which I know very little about, seems like this is controllable by the coach and would improve the shooting %.

Well since I started my comment out by saying "You guys are something else" and you haven't even posted in this thread, I guess I wasn't talking to you then. Maybe you should go highjack someone else's thread. And your right, the buck does stop with the coach. At the end of the day it is Jodys record. That said, I'm talking about how everyone is down on Jodys coaching and offense strategy. If the players did or didn't do just one of the plethora of things that I have said, we would have won. In fact if we just had the shooting percentage that the other teams had, we would have won big. In my opinion, shooting percentage is the players responsibility. How about we have a constructive conversation as to how a coach gets the teams shooting percentage up, considering how they all know how to shoot.
                      A thread hijacking occurs when one or more individuals commenting on the original posting, go off topic, creating a separate conversation. Sorry if I did that.

Comment

=A thread hijacking occurs when one or more individuals commenting on the original posting, go off topic, creating a separate conversation. Sorry if I did that.
                        Think you got the point I was making but I do appreciate you taking the time to look the definition up for me at http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...read hijacking

Comment

The Shocks actually did not shoot the ball that badly today, at least by their standards. 40% from the field and 85% from the line. We were on 1-7 from beyond the arc, but we have never had a good 3-point shooting team under Jody. That's just not our game. Yes there were several shot clock violations by the Shocks during the game and there is obviously a lot of standing around and stagnation on the offensive end. If that is on the players, then it is absolutely on Jody to get that corrected. Perhaps the problem is we don't have a true point guard. Not sure, that's a factor, but if it is that is certainly on Jody.

The main issue I had from a coaching standpoint in this game was that we failed to get the ball where it should be down the stretch. The Shocks lead 46-42 with 2:12 remaining. Jessica, who was 8-15 in the game, who is clearly our best offensive threat and who is about the only player on the team that can create her own shot, was never really involved on the offensive end down the stretch. I have a hard time putting that at the feet of the players. Perhaps it would not made any difference but you have to go with the odds in that case and that would be to make sure the ball gets into Jessica's hands at crunch time.

One thing in our favor is the Valley is not real strong league and will be a one bid league again this year. Winning the regular season is just for pride and All-Sports Trophy points. The real prize is winning the MVC Tournament and the Valley's lone bid to the NCAA Tournament. We have plenty of time to get things corrected. So in the big picture how we do in Cancun is not all that important as long as we learn from the experience. Still I would prefer the Ladies learn while winning.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 24, 2012, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            One thing in our favor is the Valley is not real strong league and will be a one bid league again this year. Winning the regular season is just for pride and All-Sports Trophy points. The real prize is winning the MVC Tournament and the Valley's lone bid to the NCAA Tournament. We have plenty of time to get things corrected. So in the big picture how we do in Cancun is not all that important as long as we learn from the experience. Still I would prefer the Ladies learn while winning.
                            I completely agree. Lets hope we have learned from these games.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              The Shocks actually did not shoot the ball that badly today, at least by their standards. 40% from the field and 85% from the line. We were on 1-7 from beyond the arc, but we have never had a good 3-point shooting team under Jody. That's just not our game. Yes there were several shot clock violations by the Shocks during the game and there is obviously a lot of standing around and stagnation on the offensive end. If that is on the players, then it is absolutely on Jody to get that corrected. Perhaps the problem is we don't have a true point guard Not sure, that's a factor, but if it is that is certainly on Jody.

The main issue I had from a coaching standpoint in this game was that we failed to get the ball where it should be down the stretch. The Shocks lead 46-42 with 2:12 remaining. Jessica, who was 8-15 in the game, who is clearly our best offensive threat and who is about the only player on the team that can create her own shot, was never really involved on the offensive end down the stretch. I have a hard time putting that at the feet of the players. Perhaps it would not made any difference but you have to go with the odds in that case and that would be to make sure the ball gets into Jessica's hands at crunch time.

Bingo 1972! I like the passion of all of you. I hope you are all at every home game cheering on the Shox. Jody's plan for this team is to actually play Alex at the 1 to free up Jessie to be our #1 offensive threat. Alex has a ways to go, but by MVC time if our top six or seven players are clicking on all cylinders and we realize how the opponents are going to defend us, we'll be fine. Good discourse everyone; and an old guy like me learned some blogger lingo, like hijacked.

Comment

Doesn't matter what position Jessica is slotted in, she is our #1 scoring threat especially in the half-court. Playing the point doesn't eliminate you as a scoring threat. The MVC has had many good scoring point guards. MVC POY award winners Kristi Cirone of ILS and Jacqui Kalin of UNI come to mind. Kemba Walker and Jimmer Fredette on the men's side of the ledger were great scoring point guards.

The bottom line is, in a tight game, we have to get Jessica some touches and some looks down the stretch. I guess it's always possible she told Jody or that Jody thought she was out of gas and could not get it done, but I doubt that was the case.

In any case, I will be at all the games (except the mid-day, mid-week, schoolhouse rocks game - Northern Colorado on Dec 7).

Comment

Working...
                                X