No announcement yet.

Lady Shocks at the Cancun Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was so many things that could have won this game. Mizzou was definitely beatable. We took way to long bringing the ball down against the press. Constantly shoot last second shots will not increase shooting percentage. A 26% shooting percentage will not win many games. We do still have players that should be able to shoot the three but until we start there isn't going to be much room inside. We passed up tons of 3s, we even passed up many 2s. If we had played as hard the whole game like the last 3 min, the outcome would have been different also. If we can start improving any of these areas, we will win a lot more games.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
      Really don't understand why outside shooting wasn't addressed in recruiting last year. With a couple of 3 pt threats this team would look totally different.
      Against Missouri it wasn't just our perimeter shooting which is rarely good. We didn't make much mid-range, close-range, from the side, from the wing, from out front, from the free throw line. It was a pretty complete shooting melt-down. If Jessica had not found her shot in the second half it would be unimaginably bad.

Comment

Originally posted by NolenKemp View Post
        There was so many things that could have won this game. Mizzou was definitely beatable. We took way to long bringing the ball down against the press. Constantly shoot last second shots will not increase shooting percentage. A 26% shooting percentage will not win many games. We do still have players that should be able to shoot the three but until we start there isn't going to be much room inside. We passed up tons of 3s, we even passed up many 2s. If we had played as hard the whole game like the last 3 min, the outcome would have been different also. If we can start improving any of these areas, we will win a lot more games.
        Yeah, as bas as we were we almost won the game anyway. The 17-point deficit we dug ourselves into with around 8 minutes left was just too much to overcome. Jody said in her pre-game show today that Richmond will be the best of the 3 teams we play at Cancun.

Comment

Jessica not starting. Shocks with a shot clock violation on their 1st possession. A lot of standing around.

Richmond 8 - Shocks 4 at the 15:52 mark. Richmond is surprisignly playing man-to-man. Richmond not shy about taking 3's and the Shocks are giving them a lot of wide open looks. Shocks with 4 turnovers already.

Richmond 12 - Shocks 11 at the under 12:00 timeout. Shocks shooting the all well today but turning it over too much.

Richmond 14 - Shocks 13 at the 7:25 mark. Richmond has been mixing in some zone. Kelsey shooting 2 free throws after the time out.

Shocks 21 - Richmond 16 at the 3:23 mark. Shocks palying good defense and Richmond missing their 3's. Shocks doing a good job reounding. Shocks 8-14 from the field and 4-4 from the line.

Shocks 25 -Richmond 18 at the half. Shocks are more athletic than the Spiders. Jessica with an outstanding first half and Kelsey has probably played her best half as a Shocker. Not getting anything offensively from Jaz or Michelle. Shocks shooting the ball very well today. Good defense. Only issue was too many turnovers. Molly did not play so she apparently has lost favor with Jody and I think with good cause.

Second Half

Shocks 31 - Richmond 28 at the 15:45 mark. Richmond comes out shooting well in the 2nd half. 3 for 4 including two 3's and 2-2 from the line.

Shocks 38 - Richmond 36 at the 11:50 mark. Jessica has been putting on a pull-up jumper clinic, but air-balled her last 3-ball. This will be about the time legs start getting heavy. Shocks only playing 8 deep.

Richmond 42 - Shocks 38 at the 7:58 mark. Shocks are totallly stagnant and standing around on offense. No ball movement and no player movement. Most shots coming on one-on-one moves. Richmond shooting very well this half.

Richomond 44 - Shocks 42 at the 3:10 mark. Shocks with 1 FG from Michelle and 2 FT's from Alex in the last 8 minutes.
          Still can win this with a strong finish.

Shock 46 - Richmond 42 at the 2:12 mark. Alex with an offensive rebound, 2 FT's and a steal for a breakaway layup.

Richmond 48 - Shocks 46 with 0:06 left and Richmond shooting one more FT. I have been totally shocked that the Shocks have not looked for Jessica in these last two minutes.

Richmond 49 - Shocks 46. Unbelievable that the ball wasn't in Jessica's hands down the stretch. She may not even have touched in the last two minutes. That is just plain STUPID.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 23, 2012, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Come on ladies!!

Comment

Jody says it's a learning process. Give me a break. We have 6 seniors and a RS Junior on this team. Now if she meant it's still a learning process for the Coaching staff I can buy that.

Great job by the Shocks holding both Missouri and Richmond to under 50. But if that's not good enough to win it could be a challenging season.

Thought Kelsey had one of her best, if not her best outing as a Shocker despite fouling out.

Steam is still coming out of my ears that the ball wasn't in Jessica's hands at anytime during the last two minutes of the game.

Shocks with 15 turnovers and 5 assists. The 5 assists is more than I actually thought we had.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 23, 2012, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Well, I would have assumed with all the veteran players we have that we would be playing better. CBS Sports shows 39.5% FG and 14.3% 3FG. It was really a lack luster game. Still taking to long to get the ball down the court. I hate seeing it walked down the court. Just a pet peeve of mine. Too many shot clock shots. No offensive intensity. At least we are somewhat controlling our turnovers with 15. Beaten by another beatable team.

Comment

I am still amazed that while the other teams are having good stats and we have bad stats that we still only come up a couple of points short. If we could just play our game we would be killing them.

Comment

Originally posted by NolenKemp View Post
                    I am still amazed that while the other teams are having good stats and we have bad stats that we still only come up a couple of points short. If we could just play our game we would be killing them.
                    Kelsey is now showing what she can do. She may have only been two for two and four for four from the line. I would have considered giving a couple more looks, especially from 15 where she seems to have developed a shot. I don't need to give any more comments on our lack of offensive strategy. We play hard, we play D, but we have no half court offense. Richmond ran a nice motion offense, though we D'd up nicely. I still believe we have the horses to make it happen. Jessie, Alex, Chynna, Kelsey and Jaz or Michelle is the way it looks now. I don't see Bugg, Mollie or the rest contributing much. But, there is a lot of season to go.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      Jody says it's a learning process. Give me a break. We have 6 seniors and a RS Junior on this team. Now if she meant it's still a learning process for the Coaching staff I can buy that.

Great job by the Shocks holding both Missouri and Richmond to under 50. But if that's not good enough to win it could be a challenging season.

Thought Kelsey had one of her best, if not her best outing as a Shocker despite fouling out.

Steam is still coming out of my ears that the ball wasn't in Jessica's hands at anytime during the last two minutes of the game.

Shocks with 15 turnovers and 5 assists. The 5 assists is more than I actually thought we had.
                      Kelsey was an amazing athlete in CA and then was was thrown into a wall in her third game of HS in her senior year and destroyed her knee. She looks to finally be healthy. She is very long with quick hands and great timing on blocks. I don't like how Jody keeps telling the press and post game interviewers Alex can be an All American. Who cares, just have a great strategy, be a good team player and win the Valley. That's a lot of pressure on Alex and not necessary. Jody could be Coach of the year if we win the valley. How about run 4 on the base line, Jessie at the point against the man drive and dish or score. Not every time, but mix it up. Our offense, Jessie dribbles, pass right to Kelsey at the top of the key, Kelsey passes right to Chynna; Chynna dribbles, Kelsey sets a double screen with Alex for Jessie to pop off, clock at 7, throw up a shot. Really??!! Motion offense, Princeton Offense, UCLA High Post Offense. I'm not sure what we are doing. And, yes, the players have to play.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                        Kelsey is now showing what she can do. She may have only been two for two and four for four from the line. I would have considered giving a couple more looks, especially from 15 where she seems to have developed a shot. I don't need to give any more comments on our lack of offensive strategy. We play hard, we play D, but we have no half court offense. Richmond ran a nice motion offense, though we D'd up nicely. I still believe we have the horses to make it happen. Jessie, Alex, Chynna, Kelsey and Jaz or Michelle is the way it looks now. I don't see Bugg, Mollie or the rest contributing much. But, there is a lot of season to go.
                        I don't know if we have enough horses to make it happen or not. Jody only went 7 deep today. I don't think Molly or Darice ever saw the floor and Nicole made a cameo appearance for about 10 seconds in the 1st half. I can see sitting Molly. She has looked overmatched and overwhelmed in her last two games. Not sure what the deal with Darice is, but I suspect it's lack of the kind of defensive effort Jody expects. I don't know if Alie and Michaela will be of help when and if they return or not. Going through a season with only 7 bodies will be a tough chore.

I agree that Kelsey played well today and she has a nice touch out to 17'. She will only get better with time on the floor. 4 points and 4 rebounds in 2 games from Jaz Gordon won't get it done either. She's no doubt much better than that.

The die has clearly been cast with how to deal with the Shocks. Limit the the live ball turnovers and the Shocks transition points. Make the Shocks play offense in the half court against a packed-in zone or a sagging man-to-man. Wait for and take advantage of the inevitable scoring drought or two that will present themselves.

Comment

If you had told me that we would hold both Missouri and Richmond to 49 points I would have taken that in heart beat and would have expected 2 wins at this poing. As it is we have lost two games in Cancun that we could have and probably should have won.

Perhaps the 3rd time will be the charm but James Madison will be every bit as good as Missouri or Richmond. In Cancun they have beat a very good Wisconsin-Green Bay team 89-86 in OT (tied at 79 in regulation) and lost 80-62 to Minnesota. May boil down to whose legs hold out the best.

If we hold James Madison to under 50 we win.

Comment

I wonder if there is anyone Jody could consult with about offensive basketball.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I guess not.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              I wonder if there is anyone Jody could consult with about offensive basketball.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I guess not.
                              My great mentor, Coach Wooden is not with us. And, I'm retired. She could always speak with Coach Marshal, but I find women's coaches don't want advice from men's coaches. WSU's Kirk coaches NBA and WNBA post players. Her two assistants coached. It will go where it will. I really do think, they will figure it out, but when good talent (Briana, Chrystal) leaves, it always bites you, and they and former coaches recommend not to come to WSU. We need to make a great show this year and next or we won"t get good players. Heights has shut us down. Not with the Men's team. We need a big win tomorrow!!! I'm too old for this.

Comment

Gregg Marshall looked like Coach Wooden. It is all about teaching. We don't teach, we let the girls know how they don't get it done; it is their fault; they need to execute the plan. There is no plan, but play hard and D up. Come on.

Comment

Working...
                                X