No announcement yet.

WBB Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5-7 Princess Anderson only started 8 out of 61 games she played in at Pratt CC. Yet she averaged 27.8 mpg in which she averaged 25.3 ppg.

As a sophomore this past season she started 2 of 31 games played averaging 26.7 ppg while playing 26.4 mpg. Her jersey number should be 1/M. Her shooting line was 42.3/34.1/77.3. She is not bashful as she averaged 21.6 shots per game including 7.5 three pointers. She averaged 5.3 rpg which is very good for a 5-7 guard and 3.7 steals per game which is pretty decent.

https://gobeaversports.com/sports/wb...=career&pos=sh

5-6 Kyleigh Ortiz started 60 of the 65 games she played in at Coffeyville CC. She was no where near the volume shooter that Pratt's Princess Anderson was. She averaged 8.5 shots per game with 7.1 shots per game being 3-pointers. She averaged 9.7 ppg with a shooting line of 38.0/37.0/90.5 in her 2 years at Coffeyville She averaged 2.0 APG vs 1.7 TPG

I am not sure how Coach Nooner plans on using Kyleigh. Perhaps as a combo to spell KP at the point and Princess at the 2.

So with KP, Princess and Kyleigh we are getting three small guards which I hoping will upgrade our speed and quickness at the point and 2 guard positions.

5-11 Salese Blow and 5-10 Raissa Nsabua provide some needed size at the the guard positions as well and provide coverage at both the 2 and 3. 6-1 Ornella Niankan, although I am not sure she isn't closer to 5-11 can provide some coverage at the 3 as well.

So at this point in time the Shockers seem pretty well situated at the guard position although you can always you another 3-point sniper if you can find one.

Update: Raissa Nsabua is now in the transfer portal.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

As I see it the big challenge for Coach Nooner will be putting together a frontcourt especially now that Dani Abies has entered the portal. No idea what is motivating Dani. Could be just about anything, but whatever it is losing her is the equivalent of losing Jane Asinde last year when she followed Keitha Adams to UTEP.

Right now we basically have Jayla Murray and Ella Anciaux.plus two small forwards in Ornella Niankan and Carla Budane, who has been used very sparingly in her 4 years at WSU with the 22-23 season being a redshirt year. In terms of eligibility Ornella will be a senior and Carla will be a junior next year.

Jayla showed steady improvement during the season and as she gradually trusted her surgically repaired knee more and more and recovered from the fractured nose she sustained in late November. If Dani moves on as would seem to be her intent Jayla is not primary piece of our front court pending on what Coach Nooner can add through recruiting channels.

Ella who played very little this past season until Sierra Morrow disappeared over the last 5 games of the season. This was after the Shocks were blown out at Charlotte 48-74. In that game Sierra started and played 18 minutes, but Ella who had averaged 3.3 mpg over the previous 26 games of the season played 24 minutes. Sierra was not seen again on the floor or on the bench after that Charlotte game. Over the remaining the remaining 5 games of the season Ella averaged 19.4 mpg. Something must have not sat well with Sierra or the coaching staff during or after that Charlotte game. In any case Ella exceeded my expectations in those last 5 or 6 games and she certainly has the size at big bodied 6-4. But she has her limitations and weaknesses and really doesn't bring her size to bear. I don't think she is the answer but Coach Nooner may have to rely on her much more next year if he is unable to shore up hos front court. Great teammate though.

Lala and Carla are tweeners with so-so skill sets. Lala is a pretty good defender although foul prone (usually because she is stuck trying to guard bigger players inside). Carla just has not played much.

Speaking of Keitha Adams she may be facing an even bigger challenge at UTEP in the 2nd year of her return engagement. While looking through the transfer portal listing I notice UTEP had 6 players in the portal in addition to graduating their top 2 scorers, including Jane Asinde. Their 3rd, 4th and 5th top scorers are in the portal.

So Coach Nooner is not the only one with roster challenges heading into next year.

Comment

2 more Shockers listed in the portal today which now includes:
        Dani Abies
        Sophia Goncalves
        Ambuh Kowcun
        Raissa Nsabua
        Jeniah Thompson (I did not realize she had any eligibility left)

Continuously updated rundown of women's basketball transfers, covering D-I transfer portal activity, from August 2023 to July 2024

Dani and Raissa are the most significant departures, especially Dani.

At this point Coach Nooner has 6 ships available if he decides to use his full alotment. That assumes none of the returning players are walk-ons. Jordan Jackson, a 6-0 forward who transferred to the Shockers from D-II Texas Women's University last year redshirted this past season. The only player on the roster who did not see any game action this past season. Her numbers in her 1 year at TWU were not anything special. Pretty much an unknown quantity. She played on the Missouri Phenonm club team coached by Shocker assistant Nick Bradford.

A step forward next season, even from the low bar set this past season, is dependent on how successful Coach Nooner and staff are in utilizing his available scholarships.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; 1 week ago.

Comment

So I'm speculating that Dani and Raissa in the portal are player decisions. I suppose there is a chance one or both might decide to return. .I think there is a good chance that Sophia, Ambuh and Jeniah were coaches decisions not to renew their scholarships.

I don't see that the AAC overall is losing all that much through the portal but the 3 biggest names are UAB's Denim DeShields, a 5-6 So PG, FAU's Aniya Hubbard, a 5-8 So. W and the Shocker's Daniella Abies.

Also there doesn't seem to be all that much portal activity on women's side among the P-5 teams. Oklahoma State and Coach Jacie Hoyt with 6 players in the portal kind of stands out.

At this point Morehead State is the leader with 10 players in the portal. Alabama A&M has 9. Cal State Northridge, LaSalle, Arkansas State and Weber State have 8 each, 9 teams have 7, 21 teams have 6 including Oklahoma State.

Kansas has 1 player in the portal. Paris Gaines is a 6-3 Freshman center out of Orlando, FL. I don't know if Coach Nooner had any recruiting contact with her when he was at KU or not.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

I heard through an acquaintance that WSU is recruiting 5'7 SG Kiki Smith, the leading scorer from HCC, who just completed an undefeated season and won the national championship. She is just a freshman, so I don't know if she was a qualifier out of HS or not. Averaged 17.6 pts, 56% FG, 44% 3FG (shot nearly 6 per game).

She attended Topeka HS.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              I heard through an acquaintance that WSU is recruiting 5'7 SG Kiki Smith, the leading scorer from HCC, who just completed an undefeated season and won the national championship. She is just a freshman, so I don't know if she was a qualifier out of HS or not. Averaged 17.6 pts, 56% FG, 44% 3FG (shot nearly 6 per game).

She attended Topeka HS.

https://bluedragonsports.com/sports/...=career&pos=sh
              She qualified and was going to go to Evansville before she went to JUCO. I live in Topeka and keep up with local basketball teams.

Comment

Signed a NLI to attend Evansville but ended up at Hutch? I'm sure there is a valid reason, but curious at least.

Comment

The 3 guards we have signed are 5-5, 5-6 and 5-7. Not sure that we really need another 5-7 guard. 2 of those are Juco sophomores this year. And of our upsized guards, 5-10 Raissa Nsabua is in the portal leaving only 5-11 Salese Blow.

Whether it would be wise to sign another smaller guard is hard to say. At this point I think upsized guards and front court players are a bigger need. Of course, Coach Nooner does has 6 ships he can use.

ECU's Danae McNeal, a 6-0 guard, was the AAC POY this past season. Tulsa's Delanie Crawford, a 5-11 guard, was a real problem for the Shocks this past year. Now UAB's Denim Deshields and Mia Moore, were small (5-6) guards who were lighting quick that gave the Shocks problems as well. And the Shockers could use more quickness in their lineup.

Whether or not we are getting that with 3 guards we have coming in I do not know for sure. Sounds like 5-5 KP Parr may fit that bill.

The problem these smaller shooting guards have is that they find it much more difficult at the D-!/AAC level to find good looks especially if you get bogged down in the half court. But maybe the Shocks will be able to play a more uptempo game going forward.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    I don't see that the AAC overall is losing all that much through the portal but the 3 biggest names are UAB's Denim DeShields, a 5-6 So PG, FAU's Aniya Hubbard, a 5-8 So. W and the Shocker's Daniella Abies.
                    Looks like FAU's Aniya Hubbard is staying in the the AAC moving over to UAB.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

This seems to have slipped through the cracks.

AOL - 'Means the world': Wichita State women's basketball brings home another local talent

Some of Taylor Jameson’s favorite memories from her childhood in Wichita are watching the Wichita State women’s basketball team win three straight championships at Koch Arena from 2013-15.

By the time she was ready to graduate from high school at Heights, Jameson was hoping to wear her hometown colors for college. But she was never offered a scholarship by WSU and instead enjoyed a successful four-year career at George Mason, racking up 115 games of experience with 62 starts.

So when she recently hit the portal as a graduate transfer with one more year to play, Jameson was elated when new WSU women’s basketball coach Terry Nooner reached out to set up an official visit.

On Wednesday, Jameson announced she would finish her career in her hometown by committing to Wichita State.

“It means the world to me,” Jameson said. “Wichita is filled with so many talented athletes and with the coaching changes over the past few years, it’s opened opportunities for other athletes and younger ones in the area to represent the city in a positive way. I knew I couldn’t miss out on this opportunity.”
                      Also of note:

Jameson and Jobe returning to play as Shockers is an important pipeline to build in the opinion of Ken Palmer, Jameson’s former coach at Heights. WSU has already extended offers to upcoming Wichita-area talent like Kendal Brueggen (2025), Kennadi Jackson (2025) and Zoey Buckner-Franklin (2027).
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Coach Nooner announces first 2024 portal signing:

Taylor is a 5-6 Wichita Heights product who is coming to the Shockers as a grad transfer after 4 years at George Mason.
                        https://gomason.com/sports/womens-ba...r-jameson/7626

Another smallish guard to go with the 3 previously signed guards 5-5 Kiyleyahh Parr, 5-6 Kyleigh Ortiz and 5-7 Princess Anderson. Perhaps a similar signing to Tre-zure Jobe last year. In this case maybe another point guard to go with the incoming freshman Parr. Ortiz and Anderson are both juco transfers and touted as shooting guards.

Nothing in her George Mason stats point to this being a significant upgrade in talent at the guard position but we could certainly use the experience at the point.

Comment

It is perplexing when a local talent wants to play here, clearly has D1 ability, and we didn't recruit her. We haven't recruited 3 decent players in 10 years.

This is great, I hope she has a fantastic final season, and this is someone I will gladly support.

Congrats Taylor, I'm glad WE finally saw the light.

Comment

Wichita State Inks Three Early in Spring Signing Period

Taylor Jameson – 5-6 Grad Transfer Guard – Wichita, Kan. – George Mason (See Above)
                            Jameson, a Wichita native, comes to Wichita State as a graduate transfer after playing four seasons at George Mason. The guard has scored 1,033 points in her career, scoring in double figures 48 times with a career-high 26 points against Florida International as a junior. Jameson etched her name on George Mason's all-time top-10 list for three-point makes, finishing her Patriot career at No. 9 all-time with 138. In high school, Jameson led Wichita Heights to the 2020 sub-state championship, earned the Top-5 All-Metro Girls Award and was named First Team All-GWAL.

"I'm passionate about representing my hometown, and I leave it all on the court every single night," Jameson said.

Coach Nooner on Jameson:
                            "Taylor making her way back to Wichita State is a game-changer for our team! Taylor's connection to Wichita runs deep, and her commitment to being a positive influence for the young girls in our community who dream of playing for their hometown team is truly inspiring. Her toughness, tenacity, and competitive drive are unmatched, and I have no doubt that our fans are going to be blown away by her skills on the court. As a true lead guard, Taylor has the ability to make a significant impact on both ends of the floor, and I can't wait to see her in action."

image.png

Jasmine Peaks – 5-6 Junior Guard – Palm Bay, Fla. – Indian River State College
                            Peaks joins the Shockers as a junior after spending two years at Indian River State College. The guard started 28 games for the Pioneers last season, averaging 11.4 points per game as the Pioneers finished as the Citrus Conference runners-up. In 2022-23, Peaks helped her team to the Citrus Conference title, and prior to college, Peaks led Tampa Bay Tech to the 2019 state championship title.

2023-24 Stats: https://www.indianriverstateathletic...ge?view=lineup

Coach Nooner on Peaks:
                            "Jasmine is a true leader and coach on the floor, known for her exceptional court vision and playmaking abilities, she is poised to wow fans with her highlight passes and creative scoring opportunities for her teammates. Her leadership both on and off the court will be instrumental in guiding the team to success."

image.png

Maimouna Sissoko – 6-2 Junior Forward – Bamako, Mali – Cloud County CC
                            Sissoko comes to Wichita State after two seasons with Cloud County CC, where she set the single-season rebounds record with 392 rebounds last season. The forward averaged 12.6 rebounds per game and led the team in scoring with 16.5 points per game on 44.6 percent shooting from the field in 2023-24. She recorded 48 steals and 28 blocks for the T-Birds, and finished her Cloud County CC career with a total of 852 points and 581 rebounds. Sissoko was named First Team All-KJCCC as a sophomore after earning Second Team All-KJCCC as a freshman.

(Note: Sissoko also lead Cloud County in scoring this past season with 16.5 points per game.)

2023-24 Stats: https://cloudtbirds.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats

Coach Nooner on Sissoko:
                            "Mai will bring a formidable physical presence to the paint for Wichita State. As a dominant force on both ends of the court, Mai has established herself as a double-double machine and ranked in the top eight in NJCAA rebounding. Her tenacity, athleticism, and relentless work ethic will bolster the team's front court and provide a valuable inside presence."​​

image.png

The 6-2 Sissoko probably fills the biggest need at this point with Dani Abies in the portal. Sounds a little bit like former Shocker Jane Asinde. If she comes close to that this will prove to be a very good signing.

Jameson and Peaks increase our stable of small (5-5 to 5-7) and hopefully quick guards to 5.

I believe Coach Nooner has 3 scholarships remaining. Another 6-2 to 6-3 front court player would be nice and another 5-10 to 5-11 shooting guard/wing would be nice as well to go along with Sales Blow. Still about 1,000 D-1 transfers in the portal.

Perhaps keep a scholarship in his pocket for next year.

Comment

At this point in time the Shockers have 12 players committed (with the portal open to new entrants for 12 more days) with the following breakdowns by class and postion:

Seniors & Grad Transfers - 3 (Ella Anciaux, Orenella Niankan, Taylor Jameson)
                              Juniors - 7 (Jayla Murray, Maimouna Sissoko, Princess Anderson, Kyleigh Ortiz, Jasmine Peasks, Jordan Jackson, and Carla Budane)
                              Sophomores - 1 (Salese Blow)
                              Freshman - 1 (Kiyliyahh Parr)

Small Guards - 5 (5-5 Parr, 5-6 Jameson, 5-6 Ortiz, 5-6 Peaks, and 5-7 Anderson)
                              Big Guards/Wings - 1 (5-11 Salese Blow)
                              Small Forwards - 3 (6-0 Niankan, 6-0 Jackson, 6-0 Budane)
                              Big Forwards/Centers - 3 (6-1 Murray, 6-2 Sissoko, 6-4 Anciaux)

Years of D-1 Experience: 11

If Coach Nooner could convince 6-0 Dani Abies and 5-10 Raissa Nsabua to withdraw from the portal he would be pretty much done but I wouldn't wait on them unless you just don't have other good options.

Comment

I noticed that Houston has a player in the portal from the same hometown, Bamako Mali, as Maimouna Sissoko.

6-3, Junior, Djexxira Diawara. Might be worth a look.

Djessira Diawara (30) Forward - PRIOR TO UH Named a 2023 NJCAA All-American Third Team selection. Averaged 18.4 points per game on 63.8 percent...

Comment

Working...
                                X