WBB Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    That fills the upsized guard need to go along with 5-11 Salese Blow along with 3-years of D-1 experience.

image.png

I am not exactly sure what we are getting in Kaysia. She played in 15 of Xavier's first 17 games this past season, starting 13 of the 15 games she played.then according to one Xavier fan "(Kaysia) was on pace to lead the team in three-pointers made before vanishing after 15 games". Another fan posted "It’s Time for Greg Christopher (the Xavier AD) to enter into the Portal and leave town.. he has literally screwed up this women’s program". Kaysia did not make an appearance again for the remainder of the season. Xavier had a horrible year this past season finishing 1-27 overall and 0-18 in Big East play while averaging only 50.7 points per game while giving up 72.6 points per game.

Here Kysia's Xavier Bio: https://goxavier.com/sports/womens-b...ia-woods/11424
    Click on stats, then career to see her career stats.

Not sure these stats support the elite shooter narrative and the team's record doesn't exactly say BBIQ although it doesn't necessarily preclude that as a possibility.

It's possible Coach Nooner was familiar with Kaysia from her high school days in Lincoln, Nebraska.

From what I can tell it appears the Kaysia Woods has decommitted from Wichita State and is heading to SMU.

The tweet announcing Kaysia joining the Shockers has apparently been deleted. But according to WBB Blog Kaysia is now shown as heading to SMU:

Continuously updated rundown of women's basketball transfers, covering D-I transfer portal activity, from August 2023 to July 2024

I haven't seen any announcement on the SMU site but WBB is in a recruiting shutdown from May 6 - May 12.

I did see this entry on an SMU message board posted on Sunday, May 5th:

If this is, in fact, the case then I believe that puts Coach Nooner back at 3 available schollies plus an assistant coach position to be filled.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

5-10 Shocker Junior Raissa Nsabua appears to be heading to Robert Morris for her final year of eligibility. I was a little surprised that Raissa left the program as she showed pretty good progress this past season while averaging 17 mpg and starting 19 games mostly in the back half of the season and was 1 of only 2 upsized guards along with Salese Blow with eligibility remaining.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

I guess this confirms that Kaysia Woods did dump the Shocks for SMU:

Comment

Go Shockers - Shockers Sign TCU Transfer White

Wichita State head women's basketball coach Terry Nooner announced the addition of senior transfer forward Bre'Yon White to the 2024-25 roster Wednesday morning.

"Bre'Yon is every coach's dream," Nooner said. "She's ready to do whatever it takes to lead her team to victory. Bre brings the toughness, grit, physicality and competitiveness that our program truly needs."

White comes to Wichita State after spending two seasons at TCU and one season prior at Oklahoma. The Pearland, Texas native helped TCU to nine-straight victories last season as a junior. In the 2022-23 season, she was one of two Horned Frogs to appear in all 31 games with a career-high 11 rebounds against Nicholls and nine points against Oklahoma.

"She never backs down from a challenge, and her experience in the Big 12 will be invaluable to us," Nooner said.

In high school, White led Shadow Creek High School in scoring for three seasons, averaging a double-double as senior with 15.7 points and 11.2 rebounds per game. She was a two-time district Defensive Player of the Year.​
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

OK. That was a positive spin bio.

22-23 she did play in all 30 games but was 8th in mpg (12.2 mpg). In 23-24 was 12th in total minutes (33).

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

OK. That was a positive spin bio.

22-23 she did play in all 30 games but was 8th in mpg (12.2 mpg). In 23-24 was 12th in total minutes (33).
              Most recruiting announcements are positive spins.

Bre'Yon was injured this past season and apparently will get a medical redshirt and have 2 year's of eligibility remaining. Not sure what her injury was. Looks like a pretty strong player.and perhaps can provide some rebounding help which the Shocks will need with the departure of Dani Abies.

Nothing in her stats indicates much more than a front court role player off the bench. Doesn't seem to bring much scoring punch to the court. 3-point shooting doesn't appear to be a skill she possesses.

Comment

Here is the recruiting announcement/hype piece for Bre'Yon White when she signed with OU out of high school:

BRE'YON WHITE / F / 6-0 / HOUSTON, TEXAS
                • 9.6 PPG
                • 8.2 RPG
                • 3.5 SPG
                • 1.5 BPG
                Forward Bre'yon White has scored over 1,000 points and pulled down over 1,000 rebounds while at Shadow Creek High School in Houston. White has twice been named to the All-District First Team and in 2019-20, was tabbed a First Team All-Greater Houston and All-Region selection.

Sherri Coale on White:

"Bre'yon White is explosive. There are lots of things Bre can do but the one thing I continue to go back to is explosiveness. She's an explosive offensive player, she's an explosive rebounder, she's an explosive personality. Bre plays with great enthusiasm and great intensity and she's big and strong. I think for Bre, the development of her perimeter shot turns her into a player to really be reckoned with at the college level. The things she does instinctually right now. There are lots of things she can do to give defenses trouble."

About 1:30 of video available here: https://soonersports.com/news/2020/1...-four-for-2021

I guess the question what kind of injury sidelined Bre'yon who played her last game on December 1st last year and how does that effect her "explosiveness" if that was, in fact, was he best attribute.

While I have not been able to find out what the nature of Bre'Yon's injury was I did discover that by mid-January TCU had sustained so many injuires that they forfeited 2 Big 12 games to K-State and Iowa State due to a lack of players and held open tryouts to add players and also picked up a 6-3 player from the TCU VB team in order to restart their season.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

So at this point Coach Nooner has a roster of 13 players. Assuming all 13 are on basketball scholarships Coach Nooner has 2 more scholarships available he if chooses to use them. So what are the needs and what is left in the portal.

With the signing of Bre'yon White Coach Nooner perhaps feels like he has his frontcourt set with 6-4 Ella Anciaux, 6-2 Maimouna Sissoko, 6-1 Jayla Murrray, 6-1 Ornella Niankan, 6-0 Bre'Yon White, 6-0 Carla Budane and 6-0 Jordan Jackson. Budane and Jackson have seen very little floor time as Shockers.

Coach Nooner also has a stable of smaller guards on the roster: Small Guards Signed: 5-5 KP Parr, 5-6 Taylor Jameson, 5-6 Kyleigh Ortiz, 5-6 Jasmine Peaks, and 5-7 Princess Anderson.

The gap in the roster is on upsized guards/wings. At this point Coach Nooner only has 5-11 Salese Blow for that role. Perhaps Niankan and White might be able to play some on the wing.

Personally, I wouldn't be in too big of a hurry to use those last 2 scholarships unless you can find a nugget that is just too good to pass on. Most of the shiniest nuggets have probably already been mined in the portal. What I think the Shocks could really use is 5-10+ perimeter sharpshooter. However, most of the shiniest nuggets have probably already been mined in the portal So unless you can find that shiny nugget just put those 2 scholarships in your pocket for next year although I probably would take grad transfers 5-10 Ambuh Kowcun and 5-9 Jeniah Thomspon back if they wanted to withdraw from the portal and finish up the eligibility at Wichita State.

Comment

Didn’t need to start a new thread; classifies as recruiting.

Coach Nooner ‘recruited’ a new assistant coach…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Local guy who has spent some extended time in KC and the Texas area. Has some experience under Hoyt and Adams which isn't bad at all. On the surface, it seems like an upgrade to me.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        Local guy who has spent some extended time in KC and the Texas area. Has some experience under Hoyt and Adams which isn't bad at all. On the surface, it seems like an upgrade to me.
                        He was immediately named Associate Head Coach at SFA when he was hired by the Lumberjacks for the 2023-24 season.

According to his SFA Bio:

Overall, Harrison has been a college basketball coach for 17 years. He brings an impressive line of recruiting excellence over his 17-year career, including bringing in eight NJCAA All-Americans, eight top-300 players and five First Team All-WAC/All-Summit League players. Harrison has created global recruiting connections in Spain, Germany, and Australia.

Harrison received his Associates degree from Hesston College (2007) while earning his Bachelor’s degree from Friends University in Psychology Human Services (2009) and his masters from Wichita State University in Sports Management (2013). Harrison is married to his wife, Tiffany.
                        So a similar amount of coaching experience as Coach Nooner although at lower levels. Perhaps more importantly his recruiting resume is much deeper than the rest of Coach Nooner's assistants.

Welcome aboard Coach Harrison.​

Comment

The international connections are nice as well. I wasn't aware of that.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

The Shocks still have 2 scholarships available for the 2024-25 season. Perhaps Coach Harrison has some contacts that might prove helpful if Coach Nooner wants to fill those final 2 scholarships.

Comment

RH: Podcast with Patrick Harrison on Shocker Basketball

Listen to the podcast

Wichitan Patrick Harrison is the new assistant women's basketball coach. We talk about playing at Campus High School for his father and a coaching journey through junior colleges, an NAIA stop, and other places before returning to WSU. Harrison, a Shocker graduate assistant under former coach Jody Adams, discusses lessons from those successful seasons and why he wants to work for Terry Nooner. We also discuss his favorite James Bond movies and favorite Bond actor.

Harrison worked as associate head coach at Stephen F. Austin last season and has also coached at New Mexico State and Kansas City, among others. He served as a graduate assistant at WSU from 2011-2013, helping the Shockers get started on a streak of three MVC titles and NCAA appearances.

His father is Dan Harrison, who coached WSU's women's golf team from 1989-93.​

Comment

Alabama, Creighton, Syracuse, Alabama State, UAB, Clemson, Missouri and Wichita State will be the eight-team field in the inaugural Emerald Coast Classic Women's Basketball Tournament.

Comment

Working...
                                X