Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#25/25 Shocker SB at Bearkat Classic (Sam Houston State)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #25/25 Shocker SB at Bearkat Classic (Sam Houston State)

The Shockers travel to east Texas (Huntsville) to open their 2022 season at the Bearkat Classic hosted by Sam Houston State. Two games on Friday are at 230 pm against Dayton and 7 pm versus Sam Houston. Saturday games are at 1215 pm against South Dakota and at 445 pm versus Houston Baptist. They wrap up their play with a Sunday game against the Bearkats at 1230 pm.

The Shockers are #25 in both the NCAA (Coaches) and ESPN pre-season polls.

Dayton are members of the Atlantic 10 Conference. Although there are no 2022 pre-season conference polls or all-conference teams, the Flyers did finish fourth last year and second in the conference tournament. Two returning members of the Mid-Atlantic All-Region Teams are Megan Ward (OPS of .936 and Second Team) and Alyssa Cacini (.960 and Third Team). Lefty Addy Bullis (ERA of 1.92 and WHIP of 1.02) is the only pitcher of note.

Sam Houston, members of the Southland Conference last year, are now one of the five schools in Texas who comprise the Southwest Division of the Western Athletic Conference. They are a pick for second in that division. Six other teams (NM and points west) are the West Division of the Conference. There are no pre-season All-Conference picks from the Bearkats. Hannah Scheaffer (.715) and Sheridan Fisher (.656) were selections last year to the second and third All-SLC teams respectively. Mika Vento (3.21 and 1.21) is the only pitcher to speak of for the Bearkats.

South Dakota are a member of the Summit League, another conference not into the pre-season stuff. The 'Yotes finished fifth among seven teams last year. Courtney Wilson (.847) was Second Team All-Conference. South Dakota has no returning pitching to talk about.

Houston Baptist are members of the Southland Conference where they are a preseason pick for fourth among seven teams. First Team Preaseason All-Conference players for the Huskies are Caitlyn Brockaway (.963) and Jasie Roberts (.934). Lyndie Swanson (1.25 and 1.18) is a selection to the Preseason Team as a pitcher.

The Shockers should be led by Sydney McKinney and Addison Barnard on offense and Caitlin Bingham and Erin McDonald in the circle. There are some big holes to fill, so it will be interesting to see who steps up.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; March 2, 2022, 09:06 AM.

Weather looks pretty good. Should get all 5 games in.

Be prepared with the most accurate 10-day forecast for Huntsville, TX with highs, lows, chance of precipitation from The Weather Channel and Weather.com

Comment

RH: Shocker Pitchers Prepare for Variety of Roles

"I have never claimed to be a leader in my life, until this year," McDonald said. "I felt like people needed to step up and lead."

Without Lange, the plan for Shocker pitching will look different. Everybody is a starter and everybody is a reliever, especially in the season's early weeks.

"Everyone is going to have to work together," pitching coach Presley Bell said. "Everyone has a role, and if you're playing your role to the best of your ability, the whole team is going to have success."

Bingham, 10-3 with a 3.00 ERA last season, is a groundball pitcher who relies on her changeup. McDonald, 9-1 with a 4.79 ERA last season, spent the summer working on her changeup while playing in Florida.

"Her changeup has been one of her most effective pitches these last couple weeks," Bell said. "Erin is a little more of a strikeout pitcher. We're looking for her to hit her spots and let her working ahead in the count let us use her riseball and changeup."

McDonald used the summer to throw changeups in a low-stress environment with the Manatee Squeeze in the Florida Gulf Coast League. Her goal was to throw that pitch without worrying much about if hitters hit. In previous years, she survived on her riseball. Now she wants to add more variety to her pitches.

Bingam and McDonald will be supported by redshirt freshman Jordyn Pipkin and freshmen Alison Cooper, a lefty, and Kenzie Schopfer.

Comment

Anyone know if any of these games will be on the +?
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          Anyone know if any of these games will be on the +?
          No indication of that on either the Shocker's schedule or Sam Houston State's schedule. I am guessing no video streams for this tournament.

Comment

That's too bad. I'm really excited about this squad.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

There will be a Facebook live video. We have streamed it via Facebook if they weren’t on anywhere else for the last 4-5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by barry1305 View Post
                There will be a Facebook live video. We have streamed it via Facebook if they weren’t on anywhere else for the last 4-5 years.
                Dynamite drop in Barry, that broadcasting school has really paid off.

Comment

Not too sure about the broadcasting ability, but we will have a live feed. Better than nothing :)

Comment

Shocker website article for the tournament

Comment

RH: Podcast with Madyson Espinosa and Neleigh Herring on Shocker Softball

https://shockernet.net/forum/wichita...te#post1333988

High praise from Madyson and Neleigh for Alison Cooper, freshman lefty pitcher, and Krystin Nelson, freshman infielder.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 10, 2022, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Easy on my sore eyes… go Shockers!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I need to figure out how to find this on FB. Never actually used it to watch a sporting event of any kind.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

My extremely uneducated guess on the starting lineup

SS - Syd McKinney
                            2B - Arielle James
                            RF - Addi Barnard
                            1B - Neleigh Herring
                            DP - Lolo Mills
                            LF - Zoe Jones
                            3B - Krystin Nelson
                            C - Lainee Brown
                            CF - Bailey Urban

SP - Caitlin Bingham

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                              My extremely uneducated guess on the starting lineup

SS - Syd McKinney
                              2B - Arielle James
                              RF - Addi Barnard
                              1B - Neleigh Herring
                              DP - Lolo Mills
                              LF - Zoe Jones
                              3B - Krystin Nelson
                              C - Lainee Brown
                              CF - Bailey Urban

SP - Caitlin Bingham
                              I think you will be pretty close with that lineup. I do think that HCKB will use this tournament to play as many players as she can.

Comment

Working...
                              X