the schaus short list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shockedatu
    I want a coach that will put a hardworking team on the floor that will represent WU well. I don't want a win at all cost team. I don't want a team that trash talks the other team. I don't like to see a lack of respect for the officials. These girls are not going to make a living playing ball. They must get an education, and learn to live well off the court. Yes, I love to win just as much as the rest of you. I know nothing about anyone you are pushing for to coach our team, but I will quit going if we get a bunch of thugs, just to win games. I'm not for or against keeping Jane. I think we need to be careful what we wish for.

This has to be considered in any discussion for post of the year.

WELL DONE!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Oh, btw, 3 posts and off to a roaring start.

Comment

I totally agree! We need to put 5 on the floor right now that will play hard regardless of age!! Let's build a program not bandage the current mess.

Comment

Originally posted by shockedatu
        I want a coach that will put a hardworking team on the floor that will represent WU well. I don't want a win at all cost team. I don't want a team that trash talks the other team. I don't like to see a lack of respect for the officials. These girls are not going to make a living playing ball. They must get an education, and learn to live well off the court. Yes, I love to win just as much as the rest of you. I know nothing about anyone you are pushing for to coach our team, but I will quit going if we get a bunch of thugs, just to win games. I'm not for or against keeping Jane. I think we need to be careful what we wish for.
        I know of no one on this board who has been promoting the kind of team you would be opposed to.

Quality kids and quality basketball players are not mutually exclusive, especially in the women's game. The team's we are losing by 40 to have young ladies that appear to be every bit the quality of people that we currently have, which is very high.

Personally, I'm not familiar with any women's teams that are made up of a bunch of thugs, although maybe there are a few.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. It is highly unlikely that Jim Schaus would hire anyone that he thought would run anything other than a first class program.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
          Personally, I'm not familiar with any women's teams that are made up of a bunch of thugs, although maybe there are a few.
          Originally posted by Don Imus
          Rutgers?
          :whistle:
          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
          -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
            To a point I agree 1972, but losing anyone off this team isn't exactly going to be taking a step back.
            I have to say Doc after watching Kiki today against Missouri State I am going to have to disagree with you. We are losing our one and only go to player. We don't come close to winning today without Kiki.

Also Kyrie and Taylor, while both a little under-sized are two of our smarter and scrappier players. Easier to replace than Kiki for sure, but a little like Tony Young at SIU. They will probably be missed more than you think.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
              To a point I agree 1972, but losing anyone off this team isn't exactly going to be taking a step back.
              Actually Doc, it's arguable that the Shocks may be losing as much or more "production" as any of the other MVC teams. I looked at Seniors on the various rosters and (ignoring those that play less than a couple of minutes a game - mop up time) found the following based on stats to date:

Shocks will be replacing 85 minutes per game (MPG) and 45.1% of their scoring.

Illinois State: 29 MPG and 13.8%
              Evansville: 62 MPg and 37.5%
              Drake: 62 MPG and 45.7%
              Creighton: 58 MPG and 28.5%
              Indiana State: 61 MPG and 39.6%
              Missouri State: 61 MPG and 32.1%
              Northern Iowa: 28 MPG and 14.6%
              Southern Illinois: 60 MPG and 30.2%
              Bradley: 56 MPG and 19.7%

The hope will be that Val Siemens will be able to fill Kyrie Kinder's role. We have couple of guard recruits coming in, but who knows how much they will be able to contribute. Replacing Kiki's production may be an issue.

Comment

Val Siemens averaged about 23 MPG and 7.8 PPG as a freshman at Tulsa so she seems perfectly capable of stepping in to, at a minimum, fill the production from Kyrie Kinder. Val does bring a little more size to the table at 5'10" than did Kyrie who is listed at 5'8". Kyrie brought a lot of heart and toughness to the table, which is difficult to measure. On paper anyway, Val looks like a good replacement for Kyrie. Perhaps Jenn DeGarmo will have something to say about this also.

It is very difficult to know how much the two incoming freshman guards will be able to contribute, if much at all.

From what I could find it appears Haleigh Lankster, a 5'9" guard out of Booker T. Washington High in Tulsa is averaging around 14.0 PPG and is the 5th leading scorer among Tulsa's 9 public schools. Reportedly she is a pretty good perimeter shooter.

Kayla Rice, a 5'8" guard out of Westran High in Huntsville, MO puts up a lot of points but plays in a the second lowest classification in Missouri (Class 2 out of 5 Classes). Not necessarily a bad thing (i.e. Jackie Stiles from Claflin) but hard to know what quality of competition she is seeing.

Personally, I don't think either player will make a major impact in their Freshman season, but that is strictly a gut feeling and not based on any good first hand information.

If my gut feeling about the incoming recruits proves accurate, then we could be even more offensively challenged next year then we have been this year, unless we have several returning players step up their games significantly next year.

Comment

Val is a better shooter than Kyrie from what I remember but not as good a slasher. Although I don't think Kyrie has been as aggressive as she could be.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I agree with 1972shocker that Val could be the replacement the shocks need for kyrie and that Degarmo might have something to say about that. I personally do not think we have seen what she (Jenn) is capable of. But this is also where the issue of player development comes in. In order to build a program you MUST develop your talent from the time they arrive on campus .

Comment

Working...
                    X