the schaus short list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dregn
    I still think the replacement is currently sitting on the bench...
    That's possible, but it would not be like Jim Schaus to set his sights so low in terms of resume and coaching accomplishments.

No head coaching experience, in his first year coaching the women's game and as far as I know a very limited (at best) midwest recruiting network.

Furthermore, his addition to the staff this year has not had a major positive impact on the team performance. May not have anything to do with his efforts, but also nothing to point to as a positive on his record.

Finally, the coaching experience he does have has not exactly been under the oversight of highly touted head coaches.

Maybe the decision has already been made, but on paper there really is no comparison between Jim Littell's long and outstanding record and Mike Gillespie's short and nondescript experience.

As I have said before, I could see Mike Gillespie continuing as an assistant under Jim Littell if Jim felt like that would be a good fit for him.

Comment

Read "Jeffery Parsons" parting shots from last night:

Comment

I have thought that since the day I realized that we didn't hire his dad. I think he would do a very good job and make us competitive starting next year.

However, today, I am not sure that he is making long term plans around WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu

I have thought that since the day I realized that we didn't hire his dad. I think he would do a very good job and make us competitive starting next year.

However, today, I am not sure that he is making long term plans around WSU.
          I think next year will be a diificult year for whoever we hire. We are losing our two most potent offensive threats and 2 of our top 3 rebounders from a very offensively challenge team.

Turning around a program with 30 years of mediocrity (at best) with the situation that will be inherited will take some patience.

Comment

To a point I agree 1972, but losing anyone off this team isn't exactly going to be taking a step back.

There are on court problems with this team that aren't simply going to be solved with a coaching change but in women's basketball the ability to move forward is much easier than at the men's same level, imho.

Comment

Many of us think that on the men's side, we could see a couple of more guys leave the team. Well, for a new coach on the women's side, I can really see him or her asking a few to leave. They have pretty much proven that some of them don't belong in a D1 game. A new coach is gonna see that and pretty much have to start over.

Comment

So assuming Schaus dismisses the current coaching staff, what does it cost the department financially? I have heard that they have a 5 year contract. Does the department have to pay the remainder of the 5 years? Or do they negotiate a severance package? Does anyone know how these things work?

Comment

Originally posted by trufan
                  So assuming Schaus dismisses the current coaching staff, what does it cost the department financially? I have heard that they have a 5 year contract. Does the department have to pay the remainder of the 5 years? Or do they negotiate a severance package? Does anyone know how these things work?
                  My guess is that there are some outs in Jane's contract, especially after 5 years, that are not that costly. A lot of the extensions that are given are primarily for recruiting purposes.

Regarding the assistants my guess is they are hired on a year-to-year basis.

Jim Schaus is far too sharp to put himself in a position that he would have to retain a severely underperforming coaching regime for financial reasons, especially when that regime has had 5 full years of performance to evaluate.

However, I do not know any of this as a fact.

I do know that if Jane is retained for another year I probably will not renew my season tickets and I'm probably already one of the last of the Mohicans. That is really the only way I can effectively express my opinion.

Comment

I know she signed an extension but I thought it contained no guarenteed years or money?

Comment

Jim Littell is a great coach, recruiter, man and has great ties to the area. If he isn't the #1 guy to step in and turn the program around, then this part of the athletic program will continue to struggle. He should have been hired when they gave JA the job.

Comment

Originally posted by TJ925
                        Jim Littell is a great coach, recruiter, man and has great ties to the area. If he isn't the #1 guy to step in and turn the program around, then this part of the athletic program will continue to struggle. He should have been hired when they gave JA the job.
                        In hindsight you're absolutely correct. But at the time nobody could fault them for bringing in Jane. Maybe this is the year we correct that wrong.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

After reading Littell's bio, he has my vote too. He sounds like a Coach that can come in and turn things around in short order. In fact, I am a little surprised that he isn't a head coach already.

Comment

I think that everyone really would like to see Little as the HC here. But more importantly, we all just want a new HC period!

Comment

AMEN brother rrshock!!

Comment

I want a coach that will put a hardworking team on the floor that will represent WU well. I don't want a win at all cost team. I don't want a team that trash talks the other team. I don't like to see a lack of respect for the officials. These girls are not going to make a living playing ball. They must get an education, and learn to live well off the court. Yes, I love to win just as much as the rest of you. I know nothing about anyone you are pushing for to coach our team, but I will quit going if we get a bunch of thugs, just to win games. I'm not for or against keeping Jane. I think we need to be careful what we wish for.

Comment

Working...
                                X