Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Shockers Overpower Gorillas in Fall Opener

There doesn't appear to be a box score available but based on the recap this was a 10-inning scrimmage with the Shock cruising to a 31-3 win over Pitt State.
    I think I have read in the past that the NCAA does not allow a box score to be published for the fall games. The one ten-inning game is a special fall rule also. Hopefully, this was just a nine and one-half inning game, although I think a full ten-inning game no matter the score is permitted.

Comment

Shockers Blank Southern Nazarene 24-0 in 10 Inning Scrimmage

Wichita State welcomed Southern Nazarene Friday night for the second exhibition contest of the fall and posted a 24-0 shutout in 10 innings.

22 hits for the Shocks including 3 home runs. Addison Barnard with an inside-the-parker, Lauren Lucas and Lolo with a grand salami.

Freshman Alison Cooper got the start in the circle and threw 3.0 innings of shutout ball.

The Shocks will find out a lot more about this year's team tomorrow when they host Kansas at noon.

Comment

Sydney McKinney not in the lineup vs Southern Nazarene nor vs Kansas. Injury? Covid Protocol?

The Shocks score a run on a wild pitch in the 2nd to go up 1-0 but leave the bases loaded.

The Shocks tack on 3 more runs in the 3rd to make it 4-0.

A Lauren Lucas solo home run in the 4th makes it 5-0.

Caitlyn started in the circle for the Shocks. Not sure how far she went. Erin did come in to pitch the 6th and struck out the side.

After 9 innings the Shocks still leading 5-0.

The Shocks finish off the Jayhawks 5-1 in the 10 innint exhibition.

I suppose the highlight is that Shocker pitching only allowed 1 run in the 10 innings plus the Shocks got the job one without thier best player.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 25, 2021, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Shockers v Kansas

Kansas 1-5 Shockers

The write-up says three innings each for Caitlin and Erin (seven Ks). Then Jordyn with two innings and Alison and Kenzie, each with one inning, finished up the game.
          Last edited by flyingMoose; September 25, 2021, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Erin reportedly had a pretty good summer in the Florida Collegiate Softball League so hopefully has figured some things out.

Lauren Lucas showing a little pop with home runs in each of this weekend's games.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 25, 2021, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Decent crowd last night, maybe 50% of the volleyball fund raiser.

Comment

Shockers Shutout Seminole State, 13-0

Behind 20 hits and 13 runs, Wichita State defeated Seminole State, 13-0, Wednesday night at Wilkins Stadium.

Comment

I know it's a fall, almost all lower level competition, but 73-4 combined has to mean something kind of good, doesn't it?

Comment

I watched some of yesterday’s game. Freshmen pitchers looked good, especially the girl from Missouri.Like Doc said, hard to tell, but I like what I’m seeing.

Comment

A lot of holes to fill and questions to answer this year. My biggest concern for this year is how would our pitching be without Bailey Lange. Caitlyn Bingham has been pretty inconsistent as a Shocker and Erin McDonald has had her ups and downs as well and certainly is not going to overpower anyone. The 3 freshman pitchers are all unknow quantities. Nice to hear good comments about Kenzie Schopfer, a 5-10 RHP from Savannah, Missouri. Jordyn Pipkin, a 5-6 RHP, and Alison Cooper, a 5-4 LHP, are the other 2 freshmen. Jordny and Alison are a bit on the diminutive side for D-1 pitchers. That doesn't mean they can't pitch but I am guessing there approach relies on a lot of finesse.

Perhaps the most impressive thing from that 73-4 is only allowing 4 runs over 40 innings. Assuming all 4 runs were earned that's an ERA of 0.70 per 7 innings. I know Caitlyn and Erin pitched well against Kansas. Not sure who else pitched in that game. KU beat the Shocks 5-2 last year in Lawrence during the regular season Wished we had box scores and stats on these games.

Again what this really means is hard to say. The final game of the fall exhibition schedule against Oklahoma State will be interesting.

Of the position players we need to replace I think transfers Zoe Jones and Arielle James will fill in nicely at 3rd and 2nd in place of Ryleigh Buck and Kaylee Huecker and I think we will be able to adequately replace Bailee Nickerson in center. At least in terms of skill. Now leadership might be a different story.

There wasn't a starting lineup posted for the Seminole State game so I don't know if Sydney McKinney was back in the lineup or not. I'm guessing probably not.

The one place we probably will take a step back at will be at the catching position, especially at the plate as Madison Perrigan was a stud. I am interested to see how that develops.

Comment

Shockers v Kansas

The write-up says three innings each for Caitlin and Erin (seven Ks). Then Jordyn with two innings and Alison and Kenzie each with one inning finished up the game.

Comment

Wichita State Rolls vs. UCO

https://goshockers.com/news/2021/10/...ls-vs-uco.aspx

Erin went 4.0 innings striking out 5 and allowing no runs and no hits. The Shockers lost the shuout in the 10th inning when freshman Alison Cooper, after pitching 3 scoreless innings, gave up 2 runs on 4 hits.

Good to see that Sydney was back in the lineup and contributing 3 hits and 3 RBI.

Addison was 4 for 4 with a grand slam.

Lainee Brown, perhaps the heir apparent to Butters behind the plate, and transfer Zoe Jones both homered.

The Shocks play Emporia State today at 1:00 pm.

Comment

Shockers Cruise Past Emporia State

Wichita State topped the 20-run mark for the third time this fall in a 23-2 win over Emporia State Saturday afternoon at Wilkins Stadium.

Wichita State topped the 20-run mark for the third time this fall in a 23-2 win over Emporia State Saturday afternoon at Wilkins Stadium.

The Shockers pounded out 20 hits and four home runs in the contest, while only allowing two runs on four hits.

Lainee Brown, Paige Rocha, Neleigh Herring and Lauren Mills all left the yard, while Brown led all Shockers with six RBI. Herring and Mills hit back-to-back home runs in a five-run bottom of the seventh.

Emporia State took an early 2-0 lead in the top of the 2nd on a two-run home run, which was Wichita State's first deficit of the fall. The Hornets' lead would not last long, as Brown promptly hit a two-run bomb over the scoreboard in the bottom of the second. Wichita State tacked on two more in the bottom of the second and never looked back.

No mention of the pitching rotation for today. Just guessing it was Caitlyn and the 3 freshman pitchers.

The Shockers have one fall home game remaining, next Sunday, Oct. 17 vs. Fort Hays State at 1 p.m.

Comment

The wind was absolutely howling out at Wilkins and the Eck today. HOWLING.

Comment

The early take on the catcher to replace Butters was Lainee was the defensive catcher and Jessica Garcia was the catcher with some offense. Not the greatest competition, of course, but Lainee has two homers in the past two games. Another catcher who was recruited for her defense but turns out to be a significant contributor on offense? Yes, I know, way, way early.

Comment

Working...
                                X