• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Great article on LA.

Neleigh's game winner:

Comment

Game Three

ECU 4-3(8) Tulsa
      Three of the four Pirate runs were unearned as Tulsa committed four errors. The #2 seed is gone, although I still think they will get an NCAA bid.

Game Four

UConn 2-3 Houston (suspended in the top of the fifth)
      The game is to resume at 1pm Friday.

Comment

Semifinal Action Postponed Friday

Due to severe weather in the Houston area overnight and a forecast for further inclement weather, Friday's scheduled games of the 2019 American Softball Championship have been postponed.

The conference office, in coordination with the University of Houston, will continue to monitor the conditions and will have further updates as they become available.

Comment

Semifinal Action to Resume Saturday Afternoon

The 2019 American Softball Championship will resume on Saturday afternoon with the completion of the final quarterfinal matchup and the two semifinal contests.

The Championship game has been moved to Sunday at 11 a.m. ET/10 a.m. CT. All remaining games will be carried live on the American Digital Network.

The final quarterfinal matchup between No. 3 Houston and No. 6 UConn was suspended due to severe weather in the Houston area on Thursday night in the top of the fifth inning with the Cougars leading 3-2.

Following the completion of that contest, the first semifinal between No. 1 USF and No. 4 Wichita State will be played at 2:30 p.m. CT, followed by the second semifinal between No. 7 ECU and the Houston/UConn winner at 6 p.m. ET/5 p.m. CT.

Comment

The completion of Game Four between Houston and UConn is scheduled to begin at 430pm CT here on a Saturday with the Semifinal games to follow.

And then 90 minutes later, it is decided the games will not start at 430pm.
            Last edited by flyingMoose; May 11, 2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              Right now the AAC scoreboard is showing the WSU - USF scheduled to start at 7:00 pm.

The AAC Tournament has been cancelled and will not be completed. USF as the highest remaining seed will receive the AAC's automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.

Most likely the Lady Shockers' season is over. Everything considered I think the Shocks had a pretty decent year.

Comment

• shockerfanmas
              shockerfanmas commented
              Editing a comment
              What are the chances if they don't get an NCAA at-large, that they accept a bid to the NISC? I guess it is equivalent to the NIT in basketball

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              I would think they would probably accept an invite to that tournament if it came their way.

Due to a continuous pattern of inclement weather, the 2019 American Softball Championship will not be completed.

Per American Athletic Conference policy, USF, as the highest remaining seed, will be awarded the American's automatic bid to the NCAA Championship

bit.ly/2WBsd2p

Comment

• pogo
              pogo commented
              Editing a comment
              So in my book that means a four way tie right

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, it's a 4-way tie. I don't know what the tiebreaker in your book is but apparently in the AAC's book it's the highest remaining seed in the tournament.

• flyingMoose
              flyingMoose commented
              Editing a comment
              I certainly was not continuously checking the radar, but they have a tarp for these fields, so that is not the issue. Yet they couldn't even find a break in the weather to play a single additional inning?!

That is a huge load of BS.

Comment

The weather in Houston today is low 80 's , sunny and no chance of rain. But I guess it did rain a ton in the Houston area this week with as much as 16 inches in some places. At the Astro's game Thursday night it rained so hard that the roof began leaking in certain areas with some fans getting drenched.

Not sure what time today they would need to be done with the NCAA selection show this evening. Easy to 2nd guess but I'm confident the decision to cancel was not made lightly.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 12, 2019, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I’ve seen a lot of complaining on social media but have not seen this question answered: WHAT WERE THEY SUPPOSED TO DO?

The rain interfered. It sucks. It’s highly unfortunate. Logistically though, the conference’s hands were tied. The NCAA had a deadline to submit auto bid. Not to mention, there were teams that probably had commercial flights to catch. Trying to change flights for multiple parties of 40ish people would be incredibly expensive, if not impossible.

I feel awful for the team. They likely had a legit shot to win two more games. The seniors didn’t get their final game/inning/at-bat. I just don’t know what a realistic alternative was, given the circumstances.
                78-65

Comment

Taylor Eldgridge: An incomplete ending: AAC cancels softball tournament, leaving WSU short of NCAAs

According to an American spokesperson, tournament officials explored the possibility of moving the games to nearby fields. But the heavy rains had made those fields unplayable. Conference tournaments had to be completed by 1 p.m. Sunday. The NCAA Tournament field was announced Sunday night.

Bredbenner said it was gutting to have to inform her team that the tournament was canceled.

“It’s just unfortunate because there’s not a lot we could do about it,” Bredbenner said. “You can’t do a whole lot about mother nature and rain.”

WSU returns nearly 80 percent of its at-bats from the No. 1 offense in the American, while ace Bailey Lange will return from injury and WSU has its top two pitchers return from this season.

“Hopefully next year’s team will be motivated by this,” Bredbenner said. “We have to be ready to compete and learn from our slumps this year. We have to take care of business against the teams we’re supposed to beat so we aren’t the team that has to put it on the line and get into the postseason through the conference tournament.”

Comment

#22.1
                    shockerfanmas commented 1 day ago

What are the chances if they don't get an NCAA at-large, that they accept a bid to the NISC? I guess it is equivalent to the NIT in basketball
                    The Shockers are not in the NISC. In fact, there are no AAC teams in the NISC. Whether or not bids were extended to UCF and/or the Shockers I can't say.

It's an odd field with 19 teams which suggests to me that some bids may have been turned down although that is just a guess.

The NISC Tournament Field

The NISC Tournament Bracket

Comment

• flyingMoose
                      flyingMoose commented
                      Editing a comment
                      On principle, I suspect this is a tournament the Shockers would rarely be interested in. If you had a very young team, maybe.

• 1972Shocker
                      1972Shocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Maybe. Do you know if they even were offered an invitation?

From what I was told by my buddy in Houston they actually had an optio to play in College Station but that never happened.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                      From what I was told by my buddy in Houston they actually had an option to play in College Station but that never happened.
                      In Taylor Eldridge's article he reported that:

According to an American spokesperson, tournament officials explored the possibility of moving the games to nearby fields. But the heavy rains had made those fields unplayable.
                      Whether that included the TAM field or not I could not say.

Comment

• flyingMoose
                        flyingMoose commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The SEC was playing its tournament at TAMU. Its championship game was on Saturday, so I doubt that that site was ever a possibility.
                    Working...
                    X