X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
    The Conference Softball Award Winners have been announced.

Shockers on the First Team are

C - Madison Perrigan
    1B - Ryleigh Buck
    SS - Laurie Derrico
    3B - Sydney McKinney (also on the All-Rookie Team)

Second Team

P - Erin McDonald
    Olna Corrick of USF is the Pitcher of the Year. The Players of the Year, both seniors, are Sarah Barker of Houston and Julia Hollingsworth of Tulsa.

Butters Adds Another Post-Season Honor to Her Resume

Junior catcher Madison Perrigan has been named to the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) Central Region Third Team, it was announced Thursday morning.

Perrigan was a stalwart behind the plate for Wichita State once again this season, starting all 56 games and leading the team in batting average (.331), home runs (11), doubles (15), RBI (43) and walks (40). Her offensive numbers place her in the top five in several categories in The American: first in home runs, RBI, total bases, walks, second in slugging percentage and runs scored, third in doubles and fifth in on base percentage. In conference games only, Perrigan hit .371 with five home runs, eight doubles, 20 runs scored and 21 RBI.

Oklahoma dominated the selections placing 7 players on the 13-player Central Region 1st team and an 8th player on the 2nd team.

Leave a comment:

• flyingMoose
    commented on 's reply
    The SEC was playing its tournament at TAMU. Its championship game was on Saturday, so I doubt that that site was ever a possibility.

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Originally posted by pogo View Post
    From what I was told by my buddy in Houston they actually had an option to play in College Station but that never happened.
    In Taylor Eldridge's article he reported that:

According to an American spokesperson, tournament officials explored the possibility of moving the games to nearby fields. But the heavy rains had made those fields unplayable.
    Whether that included the TAM field or not I could not say.

Leave a comment:

• pogo
    replied
    From what I was told by my buddy in Houston they actually had an optio to play in College Station but that never happened.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    commented on 's reply
    Maybe. Do you know if they even were offered an invitation?

• flyingMoose
    commented on 's reply
    On principle, I suspect this is a tournament the Shockers would rarely be interested in. If you had a very young team, maybe.

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    #22.1
    shockerfanmas commented 1 day ago

What are the chances if they don't get an NCAA at-large, that they accept a bid to the NISC? I guess it is equivalent to the NIT in basketball
    The Shockers are not in the NISC. In fact, there are no AAC teams in the NISC. Whether or not bids were extended to UCF and/or the Shockers I can't say.

It's an odd field with 19 teams which suggests to me that some bids may have been turned down although that is just a guess.

The NISC Tournament Field

The NISC Tournament Bracket

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Taylor Eldgridge: An incomplete ending: AAC cancels softball tournament, leaving WSU short of NCAAs

According to an American spokesperson, tournament officials explored the possibility of moving the games to nearby fields. But the heavy rains had made those fields unplayable. Conference tournaments had to be completed by 1 p.m. Sunday. The NCAA Tournament field was announced Sunday night.

Bredbenner said it was gutting to have to inform her team that the tournament was canceled.

“It’s just unfortunate because there’s not a lot we could do about it,” Bredbenner said. “You can’t do a whole lot about mother nature and rain.”

WSU returns nearly 80 percent of its at-bats from the No. 1 offense in the American, while ace Bailey Lange will return from injury and WSU has its top two pitchers return from this season.

“Hopefully next year’s team will be motivated by this,” Bredbenner said. “We have to be ready to compete and learn from our slumps this year. We have to take care of business against the teams we’re supposed to beat so we aren’t the team that has to put it on the line and get into the postseason through the conference tournament.”

Leave a comment:

• WuShock16
    replied
    I’ve seen a lot of complaining on social media but have not seen this question answered: WHAT WERE THEY SUPPOSED TO DO?

The rain interfered. It sucks. It’s highly unfortunate. Logistically though, the conference’s hands were tied. The NCAA had a deadline to submit auto bid. Not to mention, there were teams that probably had commercial flights to catch. Trying to change flights for multiple parties of 40ish people would be incredibly expensive, if not impossible.

I feel awful for the team. They likely had a legit shot to win two more games. The seniors didn’t get their final game/inning/at-bat. I just don’t know what a realistic alternative was, given the circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    The weather in Houston today is low 80 's , sunny and no chance of rain. But I guess it did rain a ton in the Houston area this week with as much as 16 inches in some places. At the Astro's game Thursday night it rained so hard that the roof began leaking in certain areas with some fans getting drenched.

Not sure what time today they would need to be done with the NCAA selection show this evening. Easy to 2nd guess but I'm confident the decision to cancel was not made lightly.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 12, 2019, 12:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• flyingMoose
    commented on 's reply
    I certainly was not continuously checking the radar, but they have a tarp for these fields, so that is not the issue. Yet they couldn't even find a break in the weather to play a single additional inning?!

• 1972Shocker
    commented on 's reply
    Yep, it's a 4-way tie. I don't know what the tiebreaker in your book is but apparently in the AAC's book it's the highest remaining seed in the tournament.

• 1972Shocker
    commented on 's reply
    I would think they would probably accept an invite to that tournament if it came their way.

• AndShock
    replied
    That is a huge load of BS.

Leave a comment:

• pogo
    commented on 's reply
    So in my book that means a four way tie right
Working...
X