Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 NCAA Tournament

The lastest posting of a VolleyTalk thread I cited earlier:

Well, I do this every year. And since it is about the halfway point through conference play it seems like as good a time as any to put this out. I will update this list each week as the teams go

Reply #38 and then #30 for his "bonafides".

The poster still projects four teams from the Valley in the NCAAs.

I assume that would be a record showing for the MVC if they were to get 4 teams in.

I think UNI, WSU, CU and MSU are all NCAA quality teams. However, I think both CU and MSU need to avoid a Thanksgiving Day loss in order to make the Tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
      However, I think both CU and MSU need to avoid a Thanksgiving Day loss in order to make the Tournament.
      I definitely agree, especially Creighton since they have the highest RPI of the four.

Comment

I assume that would be a record showing for the MVC if they were to get 4 teams in.
        The MVC got 4 teams in in 2007: Illinois State, Missouri State, UNI, and Wichita State
        (ILS lost to Colorado State, MSU lost to Oregon, UNI lost to Wisconsin, WSU beat Western Kentucky then lost to Nebraska)

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79
          The MVC got 4 teams in in 2007: Illinois State, Missouri State, UNI, and Wichita State
          (ILS lost to Colorado State, MSU lost to Oregon, UNI lost to Wisconsin, WSU beat Western Kentucky then lost to Nebraska)
          Thanks JJ. One thing about MVC teams in the NCAA is that for the most part they have been pretty competitive, even in losses.

Comment

Just watched the WAC championship final, where Utah State upset Hawaii, 3-0. Even though the Aggie win took away a spot from a bubble team (possibly an MVC team), I couldn't help but pull for them.

(pardon my off-topic rambling on your board, but there just isn't much vb discussion on PantherNation)

Comment

Just watched the WAC championship final, where Utah State upset Hawaii, 3-0. Even though the Aggie win took away a spot from a bubble team (possibly an MVC team), I couldn't help but pull for them.

(pardon my off-topic rambling on your board, but there just isn't much vb discussion on PantherNation)
              I saw that game too. I hope it doesn't hurt the Valley, but we'll see.

I, for one, can say that there's no need to apologize for these kinds of posts. It's been nice to have some extra volleyball discussions going on.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

That is a surprise. One thing I noticed the other day was that Hawaii played 20 of their 28 regular season matches at home.

But why not. They have the best fan support in the country and teams are not exactly pouting about having to make a roadie to the Island.

Shocks get the honor of playing in Hawaii next year.

Comment

twice as many home matches as UNI had during the regular season. heh.

Comment

That's the 4th time I've seen Hawaii this year. They are ranked 3rd in the country.

It's not that they are bad, they most certainly are not, but they aren't dominating either.

I think they'd be lucky to go 5 and 5 with UNI.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                      That's the 4th time I've seen Hawaii this year. They are ranked 3rd in the country.

It's not that they are bad, they most certainly are not, but they aren't dominating either.

That's the first time I watched them play, and I can't judge them on that match alone.

Frankly, some of their fans on VolleyTalk get on my nerves sometimes. But on the other hand, I can kind of understand where they are coming from, having to constantly deal with some of the "power conference" snobs always looking down on them because they play in the "lowly WAC".

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu

That's the first time I watched them play, and I can't judge them on that match alone.

Frankly, some of their fans on VolleyTalk get on my nerves sometimes. But on the other hand, I can kind of understand where they are coming from, having to constantly deal with some of the "power conference" snobs always looking down on them because they play in the "lowly WAC".
                        Plus, whenever you have a large, loyal fanbase there is always the risk of coming off as more annoying, just because the same percentage of annoying fans as everyone else will be more noticeable just because there are more of you.

I also noticed that a number of Hawaii fans have been supportive of WSU and other Valley schools because they sympathize with being dismissed by big conference fans, and I have appreciated that.
                        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I guess we can only hope for a decent path to the Sweet 16 now, but I'm not sure how favorable a draw we will get.

Comment

Originally posted by IAmWu
                            I guess we can only hope for a decent path to the Sweet 16 now, but I'm not sure how favorable a draw we will get.
                            I'm sure our path to the Sweet 16 will be quite difficult as usual. However, I don't think we are a Sweet 16 team this year in any case. I'm just hoping we keep our string of NCAA 1st round wins intact.

Comment

For those interested in detailed analysis of who might be in and who might be out:

Bubble Analysis : 1st of all. Conference tournament surprise Utah State burst one bubble. 2nd of all, Utah (RPI 91) was really a tremendous 'barometer' team. Utah made for probably

This poster (one of two who project who is in and seem to have some cred) still has Missouri State in the NCAAs, though not without some reservations (no good road wins).

Comment

Working...
                              X