No announcement yet.

Jam the Gym - Personal Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great win for SHOX. Last game we put it to them. Blocking lights out, passing sharp, and hitting da ball down.
    GO SHOX!

Comment

When the dust cleared 4,206 Shocker fans saw another 5-set battle royale with MSU. However, the ebbs and flows of this match were a little bit unusual.

Shocks cruised to an easy win in Set 1. The Bears returned the favor in Set 2 to tie the match at intermission. Set 3 was a more typical tight set with the Shocks holding on for a 25-23 win. Set 4 was weird. Shocks fell behind 10-14 when Lambo called a timeout. Shocks roared back behind Emily's serving to take a 19-15 lead. After an MSU timeout the Bears took off on a 10-2 run close out a 25-21 win and force a 5th set. At that point I did not know what to expect, but the Shocks responded big time. I think it was fitting the match ended on rock solid stuff block by Sarah McGee.

Very big win for the Shocks with two more big matches coming up next weekend against Creighton and Drake.

This Shocker team could be very dangerous by year end especially if they can cut back on their proclivity for charitable giving. OTOH they can be pretty stingy at times when they have the blocking game going.

:clap: :goshocks: :good:

Comment

There are times we look fantastic. The first set was a clinic. Then we look timid and weak.

Tough to figure out sometimes, but that was a good win against a really good team that played well.

Not a big fan of the 3 Bear male stalkers on the floor. A few years ago we'd have words but I have softened in my old age.

Comment

By the way, Bear freshman Christine McCartney is an absolute stud and is going to be a nightmare in the league for 4 years.

She's the biggest 5'10" I've ever seen. Help us all if she gets much better.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
            Not a big fan of the 3 Bear male stalkers on the floor. A few years ago we'd have words but I have softened in my old age.
            I hate to admit it but you went right over my head with this one. :noidea:

Comment

By the way, Bear freshman Christine McCartney is an absolute stud and is going to be a nightmare in the league for 4 years.

She is a very impressive freshman. Thank goodness she is only 5'10".

Still the Shocks actually did a pretty darn good job on her holding her to a .074 hitting percentage (15-11-54).

In comparison Camri (17-7-52 = .192) and Emily (16-5-55 = .200) were a little better tonight.

MSU actually recorded 3 more kills than the Shocks (62 -59) but the Shocks more than offset that with 17 blocks to 10 for the Bears with Sarah, Elizabeth, Hoop and Amanda leading the block party.

The Shocks had 6 aces but also had 10 service errors several of which were not even close.

All-in-all though a really good win and, hopefully, a confidence builder for this team.

Comment

BTW, can someone explain to me how Camri only managed to be a part-time player at Arizona State.

Another good example for the local high school stars. Sometimes it really is Home-Sweet-Home.

Comment

McCartney is very good, but I still have questions about her. She gets the ball to the floor quickly when she is receiving very good sets, but I didn't see a lot of ability to adjust to less than ideal setting nor did I see many shots in her repertoire besides the hard smash. In her defense, she has plenty of time to develop these skills, but it is worth watching to see if she does. Some big hitters develop into well rounded attackers, others don't. Time will tell, but she has a lot of potential.
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                    I hate to admit it but you went right over my head with this one. :noidea:

Behind the MSU bench, there were 3 MSU fans that appeared to be college students. They spent most of the evening involved in a variety of cheers, jeers and the occassional taunts.

I applaud their support, but this is girls volleyball and heckling the other team is bad manners. I seriously about had it with them.

Comment

I applaud their support, but this is girls volleyball and heckling the other team is bad manners. I seriously about had it with them.
                      Aren't such things ALWAYS bad manners?

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79
                        Certainly, but there is a generally accepted expectation rule I believe in women's sports that doesn't exist in men's. For instance, you rarely if ever here the crowd try to disrupt a girl shooting a free throw, but it happens all the time at a guy's game.

Admittedly, I don't expect much at all from any MSU fan....as far as I am concerned, they're just redneck versions of cocky BJs. I hope our students act better than that, whether at home or on the road.

Cheer for our team, not against the other.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Certainly, but there is a generally accepted expectation rule I believe in women's sports that doesn't exist in men's. For instance, you rarely if ever here the crowd try to disrupt a girl shooting a free throw, but it happens all the time at a guy's game.

Admittedly, I don't expect much at all from any MSU fan....as far as I am concerned, they're just redneck versions of cocky BJs. I hope our students act better than that, whether at home or on the road.

Cheer for our team, not against the other.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:
                          I am not of the opinion that there are special rules for women's sports, or at least that to the extent that there used to be it is disappearing (and I believe beneficially so - it is a sign of increased quality in women's collegiate sports).

On the other hand, I strongly believe that there are special rules about how you act when you are a visiting fan. You have every right to be loud and supportive of your team, but it is inappropriate to create a hostile atmosphere. When you are at home, you have every right to do so. When you are on the road you are a guest. Act like one.
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                            On the other hand, I strongly believe that there are special rules about how you act when you are a visiting fan. You have every right to be loud and supportive of your team, but it is inappropriate to create a hostile atmosphere. When you are at home, you have every right to do so. When you are on the road you are a guest. Act like one.
                            IMO, you are only a "guest" if you got in via the pass list.
                            If you paid for admission, you have just as much right to attempt to create a "hostile atmosphere" as any member of the home crowd.

I'm not saying that visiting fans should act like total arses, but then, I don't think home fans should do that either.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                              BTW, can someone explain to me how Camri only managed to be a part-time player at Arizona State.

Another good example for the local high school stars. Sometimes it really is Home-Sweet-Home.
                              I believe she was recruited by the former ASU coach and new coach took over at the beginning of her freshman year. SHe apparently did not fit into his playing scheme. She appears to be a consistent all around player, not flashy, but gets the job done. I recall a few doubters after the scrimmage at the beginning of the season, myself included. But she has proven she is a workhorse. Oh well, ASU's loss is WSU's gain. :D

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                                IMO, you are only a "guest" if you got in via the pass list.
                                If you paid for admission, you have just as much right to attempt to create a "hostile atmosphere" as any member of the home crowd.

I'm not saying that visiting fans should act like total arses, but then, I don't think home fans should do that either.
                                Whether or not you paid for admission, it is bad manners to go into someone else's gym and act like you own the place. You might as well say that I can do whatever I like to someone else's house when I'm at a party because I paid for a brought a vegetable platter. Having spent money doesn't make it your home.

Comment

Working...
                                X