What Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rrshock
    Does this appear to be the most winnable regional that the Shocks have been put in since Lamb has been here?
    It depends on how your measure winnable.

Iowas State, while very good, is not as good as the Texas and Nebraska teams we have been put with who were top 3 national seeds.

SLU, on the other hand, is a tougher first round opponent than any we have seen so far.

If we can win our first match, we have a better shot to win the regional than in years past, but winning the first match will be harder.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
      Originally posted by flyingMoose
      Originally posted by shocks02
      Are we the 2 or 3 seed?
      Based on the way the NCAA normally places the teams in the various slots in the bracket, both the Shocks and UNI are 3 seeds at Ames and Lincoln, respectively. Only by the colors of the jerseys will we know for sure.
      Beyond that it is not really relevant who is seeded 2 or 3.
      True - obviously, 2 and 3 play each other.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
      Who knows how they assign who wears what uniforms.
      That is how Lambo learned we were the 3 seed and Rice was the two seed last year in Austin - the color of the uniforms. But like you suggested, the question was not worth answering to begin with. :)

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
        Does this appear to be the most winnable regional that the Shocks have been put in since Lamb has been here?
        It probably is in that Iowa State is "only" a #7 national seed. I believe the two trips to Nebraska and one to Texas all involved a Top 4 national seed.

On the other hand, St. Louis may be the best first round opponent we will have lined up against. So while ISU may be the most beatable seed we will have the chance to face, getting the opportunity to face them may be the most difficult challenge we will have faced.

1st things 1st. Getting by St. Louis will be no easy task. The Billikens went 14-1 to tie Dayton for the A-10 regular season championship and then lost to Dayton again in the A-10 Tournament Championship game.
        Their 5 non-conference losses were to Penn State, Hawaii, Texas, Illinois and Cincinatti, all NCAA Tournament teams including the #1, #2, #5 and #12 national seeds. Our only common opponent was Creighton in Omaha. We lost 3-1 to Creighton in Omaha while St. Louis swept the Bluejays 17, 16 and 22. St. Louis will and should probably be favored over the Shocks.

If we are fortunate to get by St. Louis, the #7 seeded Cyclones will be a very formidable opponent. Their four losses were all on the road to #2 Texas, #10 Nebraska, #11 Minnesota and Top 40 Baylor. They are undefeated at home meaning they returned the favor to Texas, Nebraska and Baylor. Iowa State did play UNI in Cedar Falls and won a very hard fought 4 set match (25-23, 25-23, 16-25 and 25-23).

So if it is the best opportunity we have had, it is only marginally so.

Good luck Shocks!

:goshocks:

Comment

St. Louis played Penn State, Texas, Illinois, Hawaii & California in the non conference season.

The swept Cal and took a game from Hawaii.

They will be every bit as good as UNI. Imho, this is a BRUTAL regional but certainly not playing at NU or UT when they were 1 or 2 in the country does make it more possible to advance. However, we are more likely to exit in round 1 than in any previous tourney.

Comment

Best of luck to the Shockers in Ames against St. Louis.
            And I hope we DO meet again in Omaha. hahaha.

I'll probably pass/meet some of y'all on the interstate on my way to Lincoln for UNI's match(es).
            (I'm envious that you guys only have to pay $14 for your tickets while I had to pay $32+$8 service charge, but I suppose it is worth it for good vb)

Safe travels, and have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79

I'll probably pass/meet some of y'all on the interstate on my way to Lincoln for UNI's match(es).
              (I'm envious that you guys only have to pay $14 for your tickets while I had to pay $32+$8 service charge, but I suppose it is worth it for good vb)

UNI has a great team this year.
              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                Originally posted by JayJ79

UNI has a great team this year.
                I concur. Hope you have a great tournament in Lincoln.

Comment

Working...
                X