Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
    Originally posted by dregn
    If we're gonna run a 6-2 we need to find 2 front row players who can play the whole rotation or we'll run out of subs. As of right now we have 0 of those types of players returning.

If we play 6-2, Hooper & Feekin would stay in through all 6 rotations. When in the front row, they would be OHs; when in the back row, they would be Ss. This uses fewer subs. (Of course, if MEH or CF are not good hitters, we would have to sub them. However MEH has plenty of blocks and CF is taller than MEH and is said to be an excellent hitter.)
    http://www.strength-and-power-for-vo...ceive-6-2.html
    That's an interesting thought although I would think very rare to leave both your setters in through 6 rotations plus if you are concerned with the back-row play already I'm not sure a 6-2 resolves those issues. Lambo might try a 6-2, but I doubt he would leave both setters through all rotations. I would expect them to be back row players only if we play a 6-2. I guess you never know as Lambo does like to think outside the box on ocassion.

As Dregn points out we may not have the right personel to play a 6-2, but that remains to be seen.

One thing is for certain, next year will be the 1st year in many that we don't have an heir apparent star coming back. The succession of Younes, Lungren and Stockman sure was nice. We also had the succession of Augspurger, Broussard and Granville at Libero and there is not a real heir apparent for that position. The setter position is one place we would seem to be vey solid with MEH and CF. However, it seems pretty clear that we have some significant rebuilding to do next year.

Right now I'm setting my expectations pretty moderately for next year figuring at best we have at least one year of transition as we will be very young and inexperienced next year.

Emily Adney shows a lot of promise. Not sure how Jada and Dana will pan out. Who knows what will develop out of the large redshirt freshman class we have this year. In any case, I think we will need at least one year to develop some of that potential.

Comment

Hooper played all six rotations in 2008 and is doing so now. You expect your setter to play in the back row; it's the front row where you sub out your setter.

Lining up in serve receive when running a 6-2 offensive system is popular because of the many options of how to line up on the court. In a 6-2, you have two setters so it's much easier to adjust the teams line up on the court than when running a 5-1.

For example, in a 6-2 volleyball offense, a team has 2 setters and 6 hitters. If a team get's stuck in a rotation, they can change their formation so the other setter can set.

Because of this flexibility, and the fact that you always have 3 attackers attacking on the front row, the 6-2 is probably the most common offensive system in volleyball.

6-2 serve receive rotations for running a 6-2 offense is the most common volleyball offensive systems. In a 6-2, you have 6 attackers and 2 setters. Each setter sets...
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
        Hooper played all six rotations in 2008 and is doing so now. You expect your setter to play in the back row; it's the front row where you sub out your setter.
        That is true and also applies to 2009. Of course, that is true of all 5-1 teams. However, in a 5-1 your server is on the back row on only half the rotations.

In a 6-2 with both setters playing 6 rotations one of your setters will always be in the back row and one on the front. That may be our best option next year or maybe not. I don't think MEH is necessarily one of our better defensive players although that aspect of her game is improved over last year. How good CF is defensively I have no idea. I do know that more often than not the actual performance of incoming recruits and redshirts usually falls short of the hype and hope they receive coming in.

We may see a 6-2 next year (and we may not). If we do play a 6-2 I would expect a more traditional approach with CF and MEH rotating in and out on the back row.

You obviously follow VB much closer than I do. Do you know of anyone else that plays a 6-2 with both setters playing 6 rotations?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
          Do you know of anyone else that plays a 6-2 with both setters playing 6 rotations?
          A number of years ago, a year they made it to the Final Four, I believe Penn State played a 6-2 with one of the setters also hitting in the front row. My memory is sketchy, and it could have been someone else, but some program at the elite collegiate level did this.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose
            Do you know of anyone else that plays a 6-2 with both setters playing 6 rotations?
            A number of years ago, a year they made it to the Final Four, I believe Penn State played a 6-2 with one of the setters also hitting in the front row. My memory is sketchy, and it could have been someone else, but some program at the elite collegiate level did this.
            If I am understanding you correctly one setter played all six rotations and, in effect, converted to a attacker when on the front row at which time the 2nd setter would sub into the back row. When the 2nd setter rotated to the front row, the 1st setter would rotate to the back row and then they would sub for the 2nd setter on the front row. I suppose is all boils down to whether or not your setters are also your best options as attackers on the front line.

Comment

If I am understanding you correctly one setter played all six rotations and, in effect, converted to a attacker when on the front row at which time the 2nd setter would sub into the back row. When the 2nd setter rotated to the front row, the 1st setter would rotate to the back row and then they would sub for the 2nd setter on the front row. I suppose is all boils down to whether or not your setters are also your best options as attackers on the front line.
              I can look into your question later. If Feekin is terrible as a back row player, we may not play a 6-2. However, fans from Nebraska said that she is a excellent attacker and, being left-handed, might give us options we don't have now. (I can find comments on Feekin's attacking ability later when I look at volleytalk and elsewhere.)
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

6-3's an interesting lineup that i've played in. with a 6-3, it was 3 setters that were two rotations from each other, a middle, a libero to replace the middle in back row, and two opposites/outsides depending on what the setters hit (this was in a club setting, meaning few people actually get to play, in a school setting, there would be a lot more substitutions).

This rotation is actually quite effective if you have 3 good setters and allows them to play defense (especially since the setters are usually the best all-around). Also, with 2 setters in the back row, it makes it hard for the other team to keep track of who's setting, and it allows the coach to mix it up. It is harder on the front row because they have to adjust to different setters but it also introduces a lot more variety.

However, the effort the train 3 setters is hard, though it becomes easier to run setting drills. It also provides the option of having one of the setters switch to opposite and running a 6-2 or having 2 opt out of setting and play a 5-1.

:lol:

Comment

Although we all hope these latest numbers are moot, here they are nonetheless.

RPI

20 UNI
                  28 Shocks
                  51 Missouri State

Pablo

13 UNI
                  30 Shocks

Comment

Stanford made the the 1995 Final Four with Lisa Sharpley and Cary Wendell both setting and hitting out of a 6-2. The pair were both 1-2 in team assists and kills on the season.

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

Comment

From a thread in Volleytalk regarding Pablo rankings:

Today at 4:41pm, Ye Olde Dawg wrote:
                      Apropos of nothing, I just noticed that WSU (Washington State) and WSU (Wichita State) are tied at 30. It's one of those coincidences that's a little fun.

« Reply #38 Today at 5:33pm »
                      Pablo has discovered they are secretly the same team. Strange how no has ever seen them in the same room together. The NCAA should force their hand by matching them up in the first round. I'll bet WSU wins.

Incidentally, one Bracketology thread in Volleytalk thinks Missouri State will make the NCAA tournament in addition to UNI and the Shocks. Another thinks they are on the bubble, needing a championship match appearance.

Comment

Thanks. I have not been to VolleyTalk recently; I need to look there soon.

Comment

I was asked earlier to provide the latest RKPI. Here are the Top 100 in the RKPI. RankTeam 1Te

RKPI:
                          UNI #21
                          WSU #27

Comment

Now it is:

UNI #15
                            WSU #29
                            MSU #52
                            CU #80
                            Rice #32
                            Louisville #38
                            Oklahoma #49
                            Pittsburgh #50
                            North Carolina #76

Comment

UNI should be a host school we shall see.
                              First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

I predict we are in and headed to Nebraska

Comment

Working...
                                X