No announcement yet.

IUPUI Hampton Invitational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SBNation report on Marquette's split with WSU and IUPUI.

My (the author's) usual complaint about the absurdity of 15 point fifth sets was magnified on Saturday as Marquette and Wichita went to extra points to decide this match....How many times has a team rallied from down 19-17 to end up winning? This is silly.
    My counterpoint. How many times do teams come back from 11-13 to win a 5th set. I'm sure at that specific point Marquette was very glad that it was a 15 point set. Not sure why he would be happier if the Shocks rallied from a 21-23 deficit to win.

As he said Marquette had its hands on a 3-0 weekend and let it slip away. That's sports. Deal with it.

Perhaps some
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 3, 2017, 12:22 PM.

Comment

The Shocks have played 5 deuce sets this season with 4 of those going into overtime. The Shocks are 5-0 in those sets. While I would prefer to win by more than the minimum 2-point spread a 5-0 result is an encouraging trend and reflects well on the competiveness of the team in tough situations.

Comment

So happy for Brooke, our little group has watched her some over the last several years at Goddard. Have felt she is ahead of where Abby was as a incoming freshman, what we heard yesterday seems to confirm and hope she can keep building on it.

Comment

Here is the link to the KNSS Podcast on Lambo's Monday, September 4th, radio show in case you missed it live.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 4, 2017, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Been listening to all the games - seems like we’re off to quite a start!
            Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              GoShockers.com Match Report

Tabitha Brown was the Touranment MVP and she was joined by Emily Hiebert and Abbie Lehman on the All-Tournament team.

16 ties and 7 lead changes in the 4th set.
              Tabitha had quite a week.. Has there ever been a more successful sister brother combo in sports at WSU?

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                Tabitha had quite a week.. Has there ever been a more successful sister brother combo in sports at WSU?
                If Greg Dreiling had hung around for more than 1 year he and his sister, Theresa, might be in the discussion. But he didn't, so their not in the discussion.

Nikki and Taylor Larch-Miller were quite the sister-sister combo. On the brother-brother side we have we had a few in baseball. Gene and Phil Stephenson. Darren and Todd Driefort. The Bluma Brothers. And I can come up with at least one father-daughter combo (Bob and Lisa Hodgson) and one mother-daughter combo (Alicia McQueen and Audacia Moore).

In the future husband-wife combo category we have Kenny Steenstra and Denise Brungardt-Steenstra.

But in terms of a brother-sister combo I can not come up with a better one. But I wouldn't rely on my menory as the best authority on this.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 5, 2017, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post
                  Been listening to all the games - seems like we’re off to quite a start!
                  Off to a decent start but we will find out a lot more about this team over the next 2 weekends. Once we get past Duquesne next Friday (and hopefully the Shocks won't overlook the Dookies) the Shocks will face by far their toughest 4 match stretch of the season with matches at #14 Oregon and vs a very good Cal Poly program in Eugene this weekend and #9 Creighton and #22 Iowa State the following weekend in Koch Arena.

If we can go 2-2 in those 4 matches and play competitively in all 4 matches I will consider this non-con season to be a very successful one. Anything better than 2-2 would be outstanding. But this is the kind of competition where going 0-4 has about the same potential as going 2-2.

Comment

Off to a decent start but we will find out a lot more about this team over the next 2 weekends. Once we get past Duquesne next Friday (and hopefully the Shocks won't overlook the Dookies) the Shocks will face by far their toughest 4 match stretch of the season with matches at #14 Oregon and vs a very good Cal Poly program in Eugene this weekend and #9 Creighton and #22 Iowa State the following weekend in Koch Arena.

If we can go 2-2 in those 4 matches and play competitively in all 4 matches I will consider this non-con season to be a very successful one. Anything better than 2-2 would be outstanding. But this is the kind of competition where going 0-4 has about the same potential as going 2-2.
                    Doc and I were discussing those four big matches over the next two weekends. The ladies of course need to beat Duquesne first, but at what point would regional hosting start to become possible? Would two wins start the conversation or would three of those wins be needed?
                    78-65

Comment

Tabitha Brown wins this week's American Conference Offensive Player of the Week award for her performance at the UIPUI Hampton Invitational. Her teammate Emily Heibert won this award last week.

Well deserved honor for Tabitha who has been smokin' hot for the Shocks early this season.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                        Doc and I were discussing those four big matches over the next two weekends. The ladies of course need to beat Duquesne first, but at what point would regional hosting start to become possible? Would two wins start the conversation or would three of those wins be needed?
                        That's a darn good question. I'm thinking the AAC is not strong enough this year to support a regional hosting opportunity if we go 2-2. I think the conversation gets started at 3-1 if the Shocks can follow that up with a dominant run through the American Conference. It's a conversation I would love to have but getting there will not be an easy chore especially with the inexperience Lambo is dealing with in the middle. Hopefully, Brooke Smith will be the answer but that is a lot to to put on a player who has only played in 7 sets of D-1 Volleyball.

Maybe the Shocker fans can give the NCAA Selection Committee something else to think about this year if we can back up a great team performance with some big attendance numbers.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 5, 2017, 05:00 PM.

Comment

In the future husband-wife combo category we have Kenny Steenstra and Denise Brungardt-Steenstra.
                          Don't forget Casey Walkup and Sarah Lungren-Walkup. They have a couple of future middles running around I think.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            Don't forget Casey Walkup and Sarah Lungren-Walkup. They have a couple of future middles running around I think.
                            Hopefully, Mom's genes will dominate. Not that Casey wasn't a good athete but he wasn't exactly long and lanky.

Comment

Dusty Coleman and Sarah Waldorf were both legit athletes.

Ryan Bradley and Katie Niggemeyer probably win award for potentially tallest children.

Anthony Capra and Jacie Hoyt were married at some point, but I'm not sure that is the case anymore.
                              78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                                Dusty Coleman and Sarah Waldorf were both legit athletes.

Ryan Bradley and Katie Niggemeyer probably win award for potentially tallest children.

Anthony Capra and Jacie Hoyt were married at some point, but I'm not sure that is the case anymore.
                                Good pull but it will tough to top Mr. and Mrs. Steenstra with both being in the Shocker Hall of Fame.

Comment

Working...
                                X