No announcement yet.

2017 Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought they took the Top16 RPI for Regional Sites. It would be sad if they bent the rules because two teams were close. They wouldn't do that if the sites were USC and UCLA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
      I thought they took the Top16 RPI for Regional Sites. It would be sad if they bent the rules because two teams were close. They wouldn't do that if the sites were USC and UCLA.
      No, they do not automatically take the Top 16. Let me poke around and see if I can find the teams who hosted the first weekend last year and their RPIs.

Comment

• I think most, but not all, of the 16 national seeds get a shot at hosting. RPI ranking does not necessarily equate to seeding. As flyingMoose stated with the Shocks finishing up at RPI 141 Tulsa, RPI 65 SMU and especially back-to-back matches with RPI #272 Memphis they will be hard pressed to move up or perhaps even avoid dropping in the RPI. But a Top 16 RPI certainly does not assure a team of a national seed. Remberber that in Volleyball the only teams that are seeded are th 16 national seeds. I don't see the Shockers being a national seed and with the number of teams in our geographic area that will be national seeds I think hosting is a real long shot for the Shocks.

I think a trip to Lawrence is as good a guess as any. For one thing a very good crowd would be expected if a match between KU and Wichita State resulted. Personally, I would prefer that over being sent to Nebraska or Texas again.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 13, 2017, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• Shocks ranked 21st in this weeks AVCA Coaches Poll down from 20th last week. Missouri State moves into the rankings at #25 replaciing Colorado.

Shocks may have to win out to stay in the Top 25. Maybe they could survive a road loss to SMU. Hopefully, we won't have to find out about that.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
            No, they do not automatically take the Top 16. Let me poke around and see if I can find the teams who hosted the first weekend last year and their RPIs.
            Last year, Western Kentucky with an RPI of 14 did not host, and K-State with an RPI of 18 did.

San Diego with an RPI of 16 did not even make the tournament!! (behind BYU in their conference and not an AQ), while Penn State with an RPI of 25 was a host.

All other 16-or-better RPIs hosted, but their National Seed was not necessarily in RPI-order.

As 1972Shocker noted above, geographic considerations have some influence who hosts and who doesn't. For non-revenue sports, minimizing fly-ins is an admitted factor.

Comment

• It sounds like a corrupt system where if you kiss somebody's behind and lobby with the right people, you get what you want, instead of someone earning it by the data. It reminds me somewhat of the "Washington Swamp".

Comment

• flyingMoose
                flyingMoose commented
                Editing a comment
                My reply to this gets a Click Here for Next Page, but there is no next page. When this rolls to Page 10 somehow, I can reply.

• Kung Wu
                Kung Wu commented
                Editing a comment
                Are you using "Quote" to reply, or some other button/method?

It sounds like a corrupt system where if you kiss somebody's behind and lobby with the right people, you get what you want, instead of someone earning it by the data. It reminds me somewhat of the "Washington Swamp".
              Here is a link to a conversation with the VB chair for the 2016 tourney if you are interested in the rationale offered, the factors considered.

Comment

It sounds like a corrupt system where if you kiss somebody's behind and lobby with the right people, you get what you want, instead of someone earning it by the data. It reminds me somewhat of the "Washington Swamp".
                Here is a link to a conversation with the VB Chair for the 2016 tourney if you want read the reasoning behind their decisions.

Regarding the data, believe me, nobody outside the NCAA thinks RPI is the best measuring stick for ranking/rating teams.

Comment

Well if you are going to use data points to determine national seeding you better come up with something much better than the current RPI system. The big issue with Volleyball is not so much the top 16 seeds. They do a reasonably decent job with that. It's the remaining 48 teams who are assigned regional spots based on things other than the relative strength of their team such as geographic proximity. So why is that. I think the simple answer is money. Both on the revenue side and the expenditure side.

Comment

• flyingMoose
                    flyingMoose commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I get the Next Page Nonsense when I try to Quote and Reply to this page, too. Sounds like I need to find Kung Wu.

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  Well if you are going to use data points to determine national seeding you better come up with something much better than the current RPI system. The big issue with Volleyball is not so much the top 16 seeds. They do a reasonably decent job with that. It's the remaining 48 teams who are assigned regional spots based on things other than the relative strength of their team such as geographic proximity. So why is that. I think the simple answer is money. Both on the revenue side and the expenditure side.
                  This is much of what I wanted to say - 1) RPI is not a great evaluator of teams for ranking/rating/seeding, 2) since volleyball is a non-revenue sport, holding down expenses (minimizing fly-ins) is important and influences regional assignments and even seeds.

See here for a conversation with the Volleyball Chair for the 2016 tourney where she talks about some of this stuff.

Comment

• The latest RPI Futures have the Shockers finishing at 18. Using Pablo, they have a 70% chance of finishing the conference undefeated with an 80% chance of winning at SMU, their most difficult remaining match.

Including various Valley Tournament scenarios, Missouri State has an average finish at 42 with Northern Iowa at 44.

Comment

• A 1st round matchup in the NCAA Tournament against Missouri State or UNI is a very real possibility I would think.

Comment

• Sully looks at Shocker Volleyball RPI with comments from Lambo.

Seems to be pretty much in line with the discussion on this thread.

Comment

• As we speak (write, whatever) the Shocker RPI is 12. However, the gap between 8 and 9 is greater than the range of the RPIs from 9 to 26. Like Sully said, inconclusive.
                          Last edited by flyingMoose; November 17, 2017, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• From VT:

"Some comments this morning related to RPI.

I will start with some 'disconnects' between the current RPI (via Figstats) and RPI Futures.

Wichita State is currently 13 in RPI, however RPI Futures has them at #18. They finish the week against SMU - and that will help them in RPI if they win. However, next week they have two matches against RPI killer Memphis who has an adjusted w/l% of .296. The combined adjusted w/l% for the remaining 3 matches is only .435. An SMU win will help - and probably put them in the top 16 in RPI, but getting to 13 or 14 seems unlikely with those Memphis matches on the horizon."

Comment

Working...
                            X