2015 MVC Volleyball Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    I think that Lamb's view is still understandably colored by going 18-0 in conference and 27-2 overall in the regular season, and being left out of the NCAA tournament after losing in the finals of the MVC tournament in 2005. I think he is also not thrilled with the way hosting has been distributed, including UNI getting back to back hosting when in theory it was our year to host and UNI and MSU getting to host 5 out of the last 6 years.
    yeah, that would do it. though it would seem like the NCAA selection has gotten a bit less wacky in recent years, going pretty close to RPI cutoffs the past few seasons.

I've always been curious what sort of methods the MVC uses to select championship sites

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      I hope JayJ decides to become a Shocker fan the next week as he will be absent of a team to cheer for during that time.
      "fan" would be pushing it, as I don't get all that worked up about it one way or the other once my team is out of the running. But I always pull for conference-mates in such situations, and I'm hoping to see a few MVC teams in the bracket.

Comment

Jody Larson transfers from OU to WSU. She wasn't going to play that much for OU.

Jody spends much of the year playing 6 rotations for the Shocks. Many of the 5 set wins, she was a BIG part of.

OU finishes below .500 and is done for the year. They lost five 5 set matches.

WSU goes 7-2 in 5 set matches. Including the last 2. Jody is named MVP of the post season tourney.

True story.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
          I think that Lamb's view is still understandably colored by going 18-0 in conference and 27-2 overall in the regular season, and being left out of the NCAA tournament after losing in the finals of the MVC tournament in 2005. I think he is also not thrilled with the way hosting has been distributed, including UNI getting back to back hosting when in theory it was our year to host and UNI and MSU getting to host 5 out of the last 6 years.
          Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
          yeah, that would do it. though it would seem like the NCAA selection has gotten a bit less wacky in recent years, going pretty close to RPI cutoffs the past few seasons.

I've always been curious what sort of methods the MVC uses to select championship sites
          So, how do they determine the sites? Anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
            So, how do they determine the sites? Anyone know?
            It is a bid process. Google can find you a 2009 copy of the MVC Volleyball Procedures, and I doubt much has changed since then.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
              It is a bid process. Google can find you a 2009 copy of the MVC Volleyball Procedures, and I doubt much has changed since then.
              So, by that, there is nothing for Lamb to be upset about unless it is with WSU.

The reason I asked, was that I believe in baseball the Valley takes the "we have to share to fair" method. If this is so, maybe WSU needs to ask how come this doesn't apply to volleyball.

Comment

2.1 Tournament Site. The tournament shall be held at a predetermined site selected by athletics administrators.
                2.1.1 2015 Site: Missouri State
                2.1.2 2016 Site. To be determined Spring 2016
                2.2 Bid. Institutions wishing to host must submit a guaranteed bid of $10,000 over host expenses. The timetable for submitting bids shall be determined by the Championships Committee
                doesn't really say much.

I suppose it could be a conspiracy of the athletics administrators seeking to deny WSU its hosting opportunities.
                or it could be the WSU administrators not bidding to host, or being outbid.

I have no clue what the situation truly is.

Comment

The OP decided to take down the post, thinking it may not contribute to the conversation.

I will say that at one time there was a "gentleman's agreement" to rotate the host site among the relevant Valley volleyball programs. That day may have passed.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    Jody Larson transfers from OU to WSU. She wasn't going to play that much for OU.

Jody spends much of the year playing 6 rotations for the Shocks. Many of the 5 set wins, she was a BIG part of.

OU finishes below .500 and is done for the year. They lost five 5 set matches.

WSU goes 7-2 in 5 set matches. Including the last 2. Jody is named MVP of the post season tourney.

True story.

Glad she is a Shocker! And the right side seems to be her comfy spot, realize she has to help out in other places but hopefully can stay there the rest of the season. don't believe she played against MSU the first match this year.

Comment

Championship game write-up in the Springfield News-Leader.

I did not find any game report in the Wichita Eagle. Must have still been busy digesting Thanksgiving dinner.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 29, 2015, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        I did not find any game report in the Wichita Eagle. Must have still been busy digesting Thanksgiving dinner.
                        Top-left of Page 9D in my edition. Did not find the electronic version though.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
                          doesn't really say much.

I suppose it could be a conspiracy of the athletics administrators seeking to deny WSU its hosting opportunities.
                          or it could be the WSU administrators not bidding to host, or being outbid.

I have no clue what the situation truly is.
                          This is not meant to be disparaging to you or any MVC program, but WSU is in fact out bidding other programs. The fact is the other 9 schools are tired of getting trucked by the 400 pound gorilla and in the case of volleyball WSU is going to get no favors.

It's no different than baseball. WSU always puts in the best bid and they host the best tournament. MSU is the only reasonable alternative. Yet we keep moving around in the interest of "fairness" until the other programs give up because they simply can't support it.

Comment

In the latest AVCA Poll, the Shockers are again RV. They have the lowest of the RV totals and are 35th.

Comment

Working...
                            X