No announcement yet.

Shocker Volleyball Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I realize your not going to get Hawaii to come in for just a single match unless they going/coming from Lincoln as well or something similar. That said, I thought the Hawaii match would draw more attention. Besides the "regulars", also drawing in some of the fringe fans and any HS volleyball team players and their families within 100 miles minimum. I do believe that 4 games in 4 days was not a help. Even among regulars, getting to 3 games in 3 days can be a challenge much less 4 in 4 days. All 4 matches would have drawn larger crowds combined had they been spaced out single event matches.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
      I realize your not going to get Hawaii to come in for just a single match unless they going/coming from Lincoln as well or something similar. That said, I thought the Hawaii match would draw more attention. Besides the "regulars", also drawing in some of the fringe fans and any HS volleyball team players and their families within 100 miles minimum. I do believe that 4 games in 4 days was not a help. Even among regulars, getting to 3 games in 3 days can be a challenge much less 4 in 4 days. All 4 matches would have drawn larger crowds combined had they been spaced out single event matches.
      I think that is a valid point and perhaps even impacts that attendance at Valley matches where they play on back-to-back days in order to minimized travel time and costs. Attendance would probably be better if they played one mid-week match and one weekend match, but I doubt we will be seeing that in the Valley anytime soon due to the travel considerations.

OTOH, Hawaii and Nebraska put up their attendance numbers playing matches over 3 consecutive days in the preseason tournaments. Admittedly, those are the gold standards when it comes to college VB attendance and fan support.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        I think that is a valid point and perhaps even impacts that attendance at Valley matches where they play on back-to-back days in order to minimized travel time and costs. Attendance would probably be better if they played one mid-week match and one weekend match, but I doubt we will be seeing that in the Valley anytime soon due to the travel considerations.
        I'm not sure attendance would be that much better overall. And certainly not a big enough boost to outweigh the additional travel costs.

Comment

• Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
          How many Top 25 opponents have we played this year? Three - Arizona State, Hawaii and Creighton? Even with consecutive tournament wins prior to this one, how important is the Valley season now (knowing that it's always important, of course)? Did those invitationals do us any favors?
          Lambo's take.

Comment

Working...
          X