Message for SN and WSU Players/Coaches/Staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

As funny as that sounds. Let's not distract our players. A lot of really good women that have represented the school very well are playing their last games on WSU's campus this weekend. Its bad enough that coach threw this distraction out there. Let's not ruin their last memories of WSU
    Oh yeah I'm totally messing around. Coach's comments did make me far less likely to attend but I probably will still for the athletes.
    Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      You know flyingMoose it is possible that it was something I or someone else posted and they mistakenly attributed it to you. i just can't imagine anything you have posted would have been enough to set anybody off.

The forums for VB/WBB (with one notable VB exception), Women's Sports and Men's Sports (outside of men's basketball and baseball) are about as tame and positive as you can get especially by fan message board standards.

Now the Men's Basketball and the Baseball forums require pretty thick skin especially for coaches, players and family members.​
      That was my assumption that he was either replying with stats or an exerpt was taken out of context.

But my appraisal of SN like you mentioned on a couple forums is spot on.

Comment

I think SN, like a lot of the world online, is much more divisive and negative than it was 5-10 years ago. Or maybe it just feels like that because this is maybe the worst time to be a WSU fan since… the mid-70s?

That being said….

KB needs to take a look at OU Softball message boards and twitter… with dozens to hundreds of OU fans calling for Gasso’s job after one series loss to Oklahoma State. Not to mention personal criticisms of the players. You think Patty is going to start singling them out?

Give me a break with talking about this on the coaches show. Keep that to yourself.

At least someone cares!! In todays world that is 90% of the battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post

If they go the Bud Light route with the gaslighting and non-apology apology, Shocker softball might go the way of Bud Light. Hopefully it doesn't and she corrects this.
          I doubt anything like that would happen.

Comment

My guess is that coach called out the wrong person. Trouble is, I can't think of a person that usually posts negative comments about softball players and coaching staff. So, does that mean it's me? I hope not. I don't post much on the softball threads. I was critical of the coaching staff, but I thought I justified my speculations/criticisms and I don't think I was overly harsh. If so, it wasn't meant that way. I apologize to anyone I have offended.

As for saying something to someone's face, I don't think I have stated anything here (or on the volleyball threads) that the players and coaching staff don't already know. Like "Passing sucked tonight" or the "bats were dead tonight", those are things that the players, coaches, and fans that watched know. They were there. Talking about stats and highlights (and lowlights) are what fans do. It's what coaches do. Coach Lamb is known for his love of stats and going over those stats with his players. Maybe it's different coming from a coach than a fan, but it doesn't change the stats. I can't believe that putting up stats and play-by-play or summarizing an inning or a set is upsetting to athletes. I sometimes do this for volleyball games. Should I(we) stop?

As for not being able to comment on something unless you know how to do or can do it is just a really bad take. I don't have to know how to land a plane to know if it was a hard or soft landing (Go Navy!). I don't have to know how or be able to play cornerback in the NFL to say that Deon Sanders had as much will to tackle as your average placekicker. There are lots of things I don't know everything about or can do, but doesn't mean I can't tell when it's not working correctly or could be better.

We are all Shocker fans here. Sure we can be critical, but it's because we care. Are there exceptions to this? Yes, there will be times when some of us care a little too much, but those are the (hopefully rare) exceptions, at least around here in softball/volleyball land, and NOT the rule. I bet many Shocker softball fans got a case of the feels watching Madyson get the winning run in her final season game. Shocker volleyball fans got the feels watching Weber score the final point in the NIVC Championship game. It's who we are.

Comment

This thread topic has generated nearly as many post related to WSU Softball as all other topics combined relating to softball in the last week.

I think that should put softball interests into perspective. WSU just got my SASObucks over a week ago, if I give NIL, it won’t be earmarked for Softball. FKB

Comment

Wow. Just listened to that. She really took some shots. I think there's a lot of knowledgeable fans on here who don't deserve to be called on their couch trolls. She needs to apologize.

Comment

NM

Comment

I went back and forth on how to express this message. I was going to do something a little more bold, but I decided to walk this back a little but still make my desired point.

Cavaet: I do not condone personal attacks or toxic behavior that any logical person who recognize to be over the line. Now that we have that out of the way...

To the fine folks inside WSU Athletics (coaches, student-athletes, and staffers), I ask two questions...

-Who is your favorite team in all of sports?
                    -When was a time when that favorite team highly disappointed you?

If you work in and/or have competed in sports, you probably have that team that you devoutly follow. What ICAA folks don't seem to get is that there are some of us who literally put WSU teams amongst those absolute favorites. Think about that. We love the Shockers as much as or more than the Yankees, Chiefs, Notre Dame football, or any other "big-time" team you can name. Lots of time, money, and emotion is put into that. If you want the WSU fanbase to have rabid excited passion when the teams are successful, you damn sure better be willing to accept some scrutiny and criticism that comes with it. "To whom much is given, much is required."

Kristi has on her Twitter bio that she roots for the Chiefs and Cardinals. I don't know either way, but I would guess that she has been a fan for a long time. What did she think of the Chiefs going 21 seasons without winning a playoff game...and what does she think of the current state of the Cardinals?
                    "It's okay, Lin Elliott, for missing those field goals. You tried your hardest."
                    "It's okay, 2013 Chiefs team. That blown 28-point lead in Indianapolis was just a big oopsie. We still love you."
                    "The Cardinals front office, coaching staff, and players are all good people. We shouldn't get too upset with losing baseball."

I HIGHLY doubt that she has expressed anything close to the above thoughts. So what's the difference between her fandom of the Chiefs and Cardinals and our fandom of the Shockers? THERE ISN'T ONE!

I got on SN because I like talking about Shocker Athletics. I have found a great group of people here. There are a couple "different cats" on here, but by and large, I think this group is actually pretty tame and knowledgeable. We've been in a collective bad mood for the last four years, but generally speaking, I think the core group on this board is pretty reasonable and "gets it." If this board is "full of trolls," I'd like to know what Kristi thinks of SEC football message boards. Once upon a time, I spent a little time on Texas A&M board. I purposely avoided the football page because those people are crazy.

I just want to know what WSU Athletics folks want from the fanbase in terms of passion. I can tone down my criticism if you'd like, but that also means that I'll tone down my joy when the team wins. You pick.
                    Last edited by WuShock16; May 9, 2024, 10:28 AM.
                    78-65

Comment

**** Lin Elliott
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        **** Lin Elliott
                        Now now. He was trying his hardest. Let’s not make him feel bad and damage his mental health.

(I really had trouble typing that with a straight face.)
                        78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Now now. He was trying his hardest. Let’s not make him feel bad and damage his mental health.

(I really had trouble typing that with a straight face.)
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                            I went back and forth on how to express this message. I was going to do something a little more bold, but I decided to walk this back a little but still make my desired point.

Cavaet: I do not condone personal attacks or toxic behavior that any logical person who recognize to be over the line. Now that we have that out of the way...

To the fine folks inside WSU Athletics (coaches, student-athletes, and staffers), I ask two questions...

-Who is your favorite team in all of sports?
                            -When was a time when that favorite team highly disappointed you?

If you work in and/or have competed in sports, you probably have that team that you devoutly follow. What ICAA folks don't seem to get is that there are some of us who literally put WSU teams amongst those absolute favorites. Think about that. We love the Shockers as much as or more than the Yankees, Chiefs, Notre Dame football, or any other "big-time" team you can name. Lots of time, money, and emotion is put into that. If you want the WSU fanbase to have rabid excited passion when the teams are successful, you damn sure better be willing to accept some scrutiny and criticism that comes with it. "To whom much is given, much is required."

Kristi has on her Twitter bio that she roots for the Chiefs and Cardinals. I don't know either way, but I would guess that she has been a fan for a long time. What did she think of the Chiefs going 21 seasons without winning a playoff game...and what does she think of the current state of the Cardinals?
                            "It's okay, Lin Elliott, for missing those field goals. You tried your hardest."
                            "It's okay, 2013 Chiefs team. That blown 28-point lead in Indianapolis was just a big oopsie. We still love you."
                            "The Cardinals front office, coaching staff, and players are all good people. We shouldn't get too upset with losing baseball."

I HIGHLY doubt that she has expressed anything close to the above thoughts. So what's the difference between her fandom of the Chiefs and Cardinals and our fandom of the Shockers? THERE ISN'T ONE!

I got on SN because I like talking about Shocker Athletics. I have found a great group of people here. There are a couple "different cats" on here, but by and large, I think this group is actually pretty tame and knowledgeable. We've been in a collective bad mood for the last four years, but generally speaking, I think the core group on this board is pretty reasonable and "gets it." If this board is "full of trolls," I'd like to know what Kristi thinks of SEC football message boards. Once upon a time, I spent a little time on Texas A&M board. I purposely avoided the football page because those people are crazy.

I just want to know what WSU Athletics folks want from the fanbase in terms of passion. I can tone down my criticism if you'd like, but that also means that I'll tone down my joy when the team wins. You pick.
                            I think about this often, if those at the helm realize that for a lot of us the Shockers are the #1 sports team and even #1 source of entertainment. That will continue to be the case for me no matter the level of competence or incompetence from people working for WSU Athletics - they only effect how much of my $$$ they get.
                            Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              I agree this was not a good look for KB and I don't think MK piling on in his cheerleader role was necessary either.

I was very surprised that flyingMoose was singled out and targeted. He is one of the biggest supporters of softball, WBB and VB and one of the least critical and vitriolic posters on Shockernet.

KB said she doesn't read (hasn't read?) Shockernet and that is fine. So it sounds like her rant was based on 2nd hand information but who knows for sure.

All that said Shockernet can be hyper-critical and very opinionated. Although that is kind of what it is for. Would the coaches prefer all these opinions be emailed directly to them. At least they can chose to ignore Shockernet if they like.
                              Shockernet has nothing on the likes of Texags (Texas A&M), LSU's Tigerdroppings, the OU board etc. If you really want to see brutal go read the Memphis Basketball forum on CSNBBS! I have been a huge proponent of HCKB and a major proponent of the Softball stadium upgrade and expansion. HCKB has done amazing things at WSU and has made the case for WSU to take women's sports more seriously and it's time to act by investing in them, starting with Softball.
                              ​​​​​​
                              Prior to joining Twitter a few years back, I got all of my shocker Volleyball and Softball updates from FM and 72. I still rely on both for analysis, series outlooks, opponent updates, etc because otherwise, it is a black hole from Wichita media. With all that said, it is basically coaching 101 to never read your teams fan forum and to make sure your players never, ever read it either. People on fan forums are overly critical, overly optimistic, and generally tend to wear emotions on their sleeve. There are definitely trolls on every board including here. Heck, i've posted things I definitely regretted, it happens. However, this is a bad look for coach and she needs to make it right after the season. Outside of HCKB, her staff, and players, I can't imagine there is a bigger proponent for Shocker softball. Especially on the net.
                              Last edited by Shockerman; May 9, 2024, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Tiger Droppings may be the worst I’ve ever seen when it comes to fratricide. On the other hand, there are a lot of funny individuals on their board. It’s full of 100s of Kung Wu ….s
                                Actually he is an original, but you get the point.
                                Last edited by shoxlax; May 10, 2024, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X