Message for SN and WSU Players/Coaches/Staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Message for SN and WSU Players/Coaches/Staff

As a long time displaced WSU supporter I have been in many situations where I had to choose between being an anonymous poster on here and a person in real life.

Being that in many sports only the family members travel to support the team, me showing up wearing WSU gear has led me to many conversations with WSU parents and other supporters. When asked about Shockernet, I have always chosen to be open with them. I tell them my screen name and most until this season recognize it.

I haven’t posted as much recently due to the continued level of negativity. Especially the attacks on specific players. I felt we, as adults, regardless of what we pay or do to support the University really need a REALITY CHECK.

Well, REALITY CHECK delivered tonight. And while I have concerns both ways, I think it was worth addressing.

During the HCKB Show tonight, HCKB specifically called out Shockernet for what it has become lately and specifically one poster.

That is also my concern. The poster called out, while I have not met them, is one of THE biggest supporters of Women’s Sports on SN. I don’t have to search for VB or SB scores or updates as they post them constantly.

I feel like many things today, certain things said on the internet taken without context can lead to false storylines. Good on HCKB for calling it out and addressing it head on with her team. But making them the scapegoat for accountability she should be holding her team to causes issues with me.

I didn’t play college sports in the age of social media. But I have a kid playing and know many families dealing with the pressures of playing at the highest levels of NCAA sports, especially in the SEC on FB, Baseball, Volleyball, and Softball teams. The parents and coaches I know have worked for years to teach these kids what to expect. To avoid the trolls as much as possible and basically that Social Media will only tear you down, never lift you up.

I hope we as Shockernetters, the coaches/players/parents who read this, and school staff who can continue to develop the training too educate our young student athletes evaluate where they spend their time online.

I hope, but know better, that SN’rs would also take a minute to self reflect on the image their “anonymous keyboard warrior” personas create and figure out if they were to show up to Deano’s to watch a show, would they say that to HCKB face. If not, then don’t post it.

WSU is battling many fronts right now across all sports. It doesn’t need its fans creating additional negativities and hardships on the athletes that chose to come here. We can be the exception and I hope we choose to do it.

I’m trying to decide how I want to address this.

I could post a message here or I could send an email to KB herself. Not a mean-spirited one, but just another perspective on this.

Let me think on this.
    78-65

Comment

I assume the podcast is archived. Anyone have the link? Didn't have any luck finding it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
        I assume the podcast is archived. Anyone have the link? Didn't have any luck finding it.

First ten minutes
        78-65

Comment

Thanks, was just coming here to post this and you beat me to it.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I will say from what I heard from Kristi, I'm disappointed as she came off as bitter and petty.

The poster called out has generally only spoken about the statistics and actual performances on the field. And for much of the season, pitching was a huge concern as it wasn't at the level of even last year. Nobody was attacked for any personal reasons and if you can't take performance evaluation for your poor performance, then that's something these players need to work on themselves.

It's also not a good look when you as a coach go out of your way to attack some of the most passionate and dedicated fans who have been huge supporters of these lesser supported sports.

Seriously, if you don't like your stats, do better and stop worrying about people talking about them.

I've been and am a huge fan of Coach B, but not a good look if you ask me.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              I will say from what I heard from Kristi, I'm disappointed as she came off as bitter and petty.

The poster called out has generally only spoken about the statistics and actual performances on the field. And for much of the season, pitching was a huge concern as it wasn't at the level of even last year. Nobody was attacked for any personal reasons and if you can't take performance evaluation for your poor performance, then that's something these players need to work on themselves.

It's also not a good look when you as a coach go out of your way to attack some of the most passionate and dedicated fans who have been huge supporters of these lesser supported sports.

Seriously, if you don't like your stats, do better and stop worrying about people talking about them.

I see both sides, and wasn’t calling out the poster in this instance, and liked HCKB working with her team through it.

I posted this due to HCKB comments, but in application to other sports and posters who do get personal with attacks.

I believe there is opportunity for everyone to get better.

Comment

I agree this was not a good look for KB and I don't think MK piling on in his cheerleader role was necessary either.

I was very surprised that flyingMoose was singled out and targeted. He is one of the biggest supporters of softball, WBB and VB and one of the least critical and vitriolic posters on Shockernet.

KB said she doesn't read (hasn't read?) Shockernet and that is fine. So it sounds like her rant was based on 2nd hand information but who knows for sure.

All that said Shockernet can be hyper-critical and very opinionated. Although that is kind of what it is for. Would the coaches prefer all these opinions be emailed directly to them. At least they can chose to ignore Shockernet if they like.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Yea that was a really bad look . especially the "FFM" thing. People that take the time to come on the board and post are probably some of your most passionate supporters not just "trolls". People on here are literally spending their free time talking about WSU sports. Not just wearing a T-Shirt, or maybe going to a game. They do all of the above. I'm going to guess the majority of the people here donate to SASO, season tickets and maybe NIL. I've noticed nothing from the poster that was called out that was over the top.

Do some people cross the line ... sure. Hell i'm sure in the middle of one of our basketball melt downs, I've said something on here that was too far. That's life though, you aren't going to please everyone. Can't always have everyone happy with your performance.

Probably a couple lessons here.
                  • Yes, us Shockernetters, myself included, should remind ourselves that the players read this .. and they are just kids still. Probably shouldn't say anything you wouldn't say to their face.
                  • For the players. Don't take what is said on here too seriously. We are all passionate about shocker sports. That's why we spend our free time on here. People say stuff, they don't really mean and nothing on here is personal. With very few exceptions, just about everyone on here will agree our Shocker Athletes are excellent representatives of the university and we are proud they represent WSU.
                  • For HCKB - Don't **** where you eat. There is a big push for NIL and SASO and now a new softball complex. Don't publicly call out your most adamant fans by name or calling the fanbase "trolls" while expecting people to continue opening up their pocketbooks to you. Either ignore it, or if you REALLY have a problem with it, I'm sure you could send a PRIVATE message to take care of a particular poster if you feel so inclined (though even that is probably too much)
                  Last edited by Stickboy46; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

A lot of her motivation seems to be Marshallesque. Us against the world mentality to fire up the team. Good strategy. However, doubt 3G would’ve called out an individual fan because it then looks like you’ve turned against your fan base on a personal level and less like motivation. HCKB is a Mt Rushmore coach at the university in my book and the couple of times I have visited with her, she was very appreciative of the support she has. As far as the poster goes, pretty sure he has seen more than his share of being yelled at by coaches so probably has reptilian like skin. He has taught this board more about softball more than anyone could imagine and most of his criticism probably comes from answers to questions I asked in the form of statistics. We can be angry all we want but this is the world of social media we live in and fallout is inevitable when you least expect it. Eventually we will move onto to another scuffle and this will be in the rear view mirror.

Comment

If Coach B thinks we're all nothing but trolls, maybe I should withdraw my HR pledge to the program. It's only a couple of thousand dollars at this point, but that's a pretty significant chunk of change for me right now. I'd be better off financially if I held onto it and kept it in my savings instead.

The more I think about what she said the more it kind of pisses me off. It wasn't me that was called out by name but I know I've mentioned my concern with the pitching during the season, and apparently being concerned with performance and statistics is trolling according to Coach B. I've spent a lot of time pimping the softball program on here, Twitter, and Facebook and I can't say if I've made others into fans, but I do get fair amount of interaction from people I know who weren't/aren't necessarily WSU fans in general but they're taking more notice of the program and attending games that I'm pretty confident some of them wouldn't have if I weren't so vocal about the program.

Having niece's that played softball made me a fan of the sport. Having a head coach that doesn't appreciate passionate fans may turn me off from being a fan of the sport. Maybe it's time to take my money and stay home. Maybe my free time would be better served doing things other than watching this program or pimping it to others.

I'm not making any actual definite decisions right now, but I'm honestly going to think about it. Why spend money on a program that doesn't appreciate you? That's where I'm leaning right now.

I'm pretty sure I've said more critical things than Moose.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've said more critical things than Moose.
                        I think that probably applies to the vast majority of Shockernet posters.

Comment

Is this a joke? Please tell me this is a joke.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            Is this a joke? Please tell me this is a joke.
                            That would be a lie if we told you that. Links to the show are above.

Comment

Really disappointed at what I heard. I'm certain that Kennedy knows this board is not just made up of trolls (far from it) but saying what he did is maybe even more surprising. Probably personally knows some of the posters here and that they help fund Shocker sports. Really jaw dropping.

Unless she apologizes to Moose and this board, I may be done supporting her and the program. I feel bad for the team as they may be affected by this blunder. Too bad this comes at a time more donors and bigger donations are so essential. Our AD needs to have a heart to heart with both of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X