X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 AAC Softball Tournament

Shocker site

AAC site

The Shockers, the #4 seed, play the last game on Wednesday at 7 pm against the #9 seed, UTSA.

I suggested in another thread some weeks ago that I would do the pitching comparison again, Well, I am not. Rather, here is some info about the OPS of an offense and the OPS of the opponents - all conference stats.

The Shockers, Florida Atlantic, and Charlotte have the top three OPS in that order. The three best (lowest) Opponent's OPS (a pitching measure) belong to North Texas, Charlotte, and Tulsa from lowest to higher. If you take the difference between the two OPS (OPS - Opponent's OPS), the top four are Charlotte, Shockers, North Texas, and Florida Atlantic. And finally, the Shockers have the third worst Opponent's OPS, "bested" only by Memphis and UTSA.

Yeah, my head hurts, too.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; May 6, 2024, 07:18 PM.

So if I follow what those stats indicate the Shocks are the strongest offensive teams as measured by OPS and one of the weakest in piching as measured by the OPS. But they have the 2nd best net differential in the league.

Not sure how predictive any of that is in a single elimnation tournament where the top 2 teams only have to play and win 2 games in 2 days to win the tournament and everyone else has to win 4 games in 4 days.

I do think the Shocker pitching has shown improvement lately. In their last 13 games including a non-con game vs Oklahoma State the Shocks gave up 22 earned runs over 86.1 innings for an ERA of 1.78. Granted part of that is perhaps to not playing the toughest stretch in their schedule with series with USF, UAB, North Texas and MemphEx.

OTOH, the Shocks averaged 4.15 runs per game over these final 5 games compared to 6 runs a game in the first 33 games of the season.

I guess the bottom line is it will all boil down to who plays the best softball over 2 to 4 days of play.

It will be interesting to see how HCKB handles her pitching staff in this tournament. I would be surprised if she starts Chloe against UTSA on Wednesday. i'm thinking Alex or Alison will get the start in that one. However, my thinking is not alwasy in sync with HCKB which I suppose is a good thing for the Shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Not sure how predictive any of that is ...
      Me either. It more or less reflects the league standings, so I suppose there are no surprises. So can the Shocks scratch out some 3-2 wins?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

Me either. It more or less reflects the league standings, so I suppose there are no surprises. So can the Shocks scratch out some 3-2 wins?
        They're going to have to do something different than what they did in the regular season to win close games.... 1-10 in one run games? That doesn't suggest a prolonged post season appearance for the Shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

... 1-10 in one run games? That doesn't suggest a prolonged post season appearance for the Shocks.
          But if we have some regression to the mean ... or whatever that term is.

Comment

Saw the UAB softball team out eating lunch today. Looked like they had just gotten done with practice. Shockers won't see them unless they make it to the finals.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

But if we have some regression to the mean ... or whatever that term is.
              What if winning 1 of 11 one-run games is the mean for this team? OTOH, a would much rather have a team that has lost 10 1-run games than a team that has been run-ruled 10 times.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 7, 2024, 09:49 PM.

Comment

RH: Podcast with Krystin Nelson, CC Wong on Shocker Softball

Infielders CC Wong and Krystin Nelson join the podcast to prepare fans for the AAC Championship this week at Wilkins Stadium. They discuss how pitching and defense is coming together in recent weeks to lift the Shockers on a hot streak. They talk about pitcher Chloe Barber and how she’s improved over her freshman season. Wong tells us about her aspirations to play for Canada this summer. Nelson reveals why she gave up No. 12 and now wears No. 21. We also talk about Addison Barnard’s career with the Shockers and their advice for choosing a college.

Link to Podcast

Comment

Would be nice to get a 5-inng run-rule tonight with the Shocks only having to pitch 4. I assume the Shocks will be home team. But what do I know.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    RH: Podcast with Krystin Nelson, CC Wong on Shocker Softball

Infielders CC Wong and Krystin Nelson join the podcast to prepare fans for the AAC Championship this week at Wilkins Stadium. They discuss how pitching and defense is coming together in recent weeks to lift the Shockers on a hot streak. They talk about pitcher Chloe Barber and how she’s improved over her freshman season. Wong tells us about her aspirations to play for Canada this summer. Nelson reveals why she gave up No. 12 and now wears No. 21. We also talk about Addison Barnard’s career with the Shockers and their advice for choosing a college.

Link to Podcast
                    Good stuff. Love hearing the kids enjoying the moment.

Comment

Well.....I'm watching.

Lauren Howell starts. Clean first inning. CC Walks, Addie destroys one into the wind. 2-0. Shocks tack on a 3rd but leave the bases loaded batting around.

Top 2 Lauren gets the first two outs. Then an error, hit and HBP and they're loaded with 2 outs. Allison comes in to get the 3rd out on a K. Beautiful change.

Bottom 2 CC walks. Tell me if you've heard this before.

BTW, I'm staying away from this (for now at least) but the PBP guy talked about Kristi saying the pitchers struggled early and that social media was part of the problem. He has yet to mention Shockernet by name, but it's early.

Addie DESTROYS one but it's foul. 2-2 fouls off a couple more. Just a bit outside. 3-2. Another foul. Almost the exact same spot. Yanks one into the pickleball court nearly killing a guy (not really). Foul behind home, catcher can't make the play. UTSA is playing with fire here. Yep. Gone. 5-0.

Comment

If someone wanted to be really petty and had a pilot’s license, they could fly a banner with a picture of Bullwinkle above Wilkins Stadium during the conference tourney.

It would really reflect negatively on the program, but it would be damned funny.
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

With one out, Sami Hood hits a ground rule double. 2nd & 3rd. Lanie nearly loses one, hitting a scorcher off the "H" in Shockers. 2 score. A ground ball that should have been an out is misplayed, Brown scores, and it's 8-0. UTSA has been charged with 3 errors...could easily have been 5 or 6 on dropped fouls. That's to take nothing away from our girls who have been blistering this Roadrunner pitcher. Ump's zone is expanding a bit. Finally the inning ends.

Hate to break the news, but I think CC will lead off the 3rd, then Addie. Again.

Comment

Girls are putting on a show tonight

Comment

Allison really looks good tonight. Lots of movement and velo. Quick top of the 3rd.

CC walks. lol

Addie gives them a break and just doubles to the gap. 2nd and 3rd, nobody out. That ball was ripped.

Taylor drives one out. 11-0. Shocks are squaring a lot up tonight.

This could get ugly (not that 11-0 isn't ugly).

Burbs grounds out. First out of the inning.

Comment

Working...
                              X