Softball in season news/awards/such and such

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Did anyone else listen to Kristi Bredbenners radio show this past Monday (April 15)? I was hope to re-listen to it and post about it, but the archived show is still not available. I thought she had a very interesting and candid discussion of her recruiting challenges in today's NIL environment.

A couple of points I recall.

She was talking with USF head coach Ken Eriksen this past weekend. KB had noticed that USF has 30 players on his roster. KB has 22 (and I would note that 2 are out for the season due to injury and 1 is, redshirting at this point) and not sure all 22 are receiving athletic scholarship support. Softball has a total of 12 scholarships. She asked Coached Eriksen how he could keep that many players on his roster happy. He said the weather in South Florida doesn't hurt but that everyone one of his roster players have fully funded Alston awards (academic achievement awards up to $5,980 per year). That, of course, is on top of any NIL deals they might have.

She said the recruiting wars have definitely gotten tougher and that she is finding many team from coast-to-coast are scouring the Midwest for players these days largely because of the success of Midwest programs such as Wichita State.

She said that so far she has made offers to 15 pitchers in the class of 2025 and has yet to find any takers.

I know it’s come up in the past, but ADKS needs to address and explain how USF is doing this and we aren’t. How the Alston is funded etc,

Comment

The archive of Coach Bredbenner's April 15th Coach's show is now available.

The discussion of the USF rosters and Alston funding is from around the 28 minute mark through the 29:30 mark. An extended discussion of NIL and recruiting runs from the 33 minute mark to the 42 minute mark.

I think most would find it pretty interesting.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; 1 week ago.

Comment

Looking at all time Home Run leaders, Addie has a decent chance of finishing Top 5. She's sitting at 86. Number one is well out of reach at 122. Number two is 95 which isn't crazy. Three right now is 92 but there are two active players ahead of Addie. So if she can get 6 more home runs with minimum 9 games left, she will at minimum be tied for 5th. Obviously the longer our season goes the better for her.

Comment

I thought pouring all of this money into a new softball stadium was supposed to help with regional hosting prospects.

Is this team even gonna sniff a regional?
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Go Shockers - AAC Names Barber Pitcher of the Week

Wichita State freshman pitcher Chloe Barber has been named the American Athletic Conference Pitcher of the Week, it was announced Monday afternoon.

Barber was stellar in Sunday's win over UAB. She tossed a complete game shutout, allowing only three hits and striking out 15. Her 15 strikeouts were one shy of tying the single game school record that she set earlier this season against Illinois State. Barber has three games of 15+ strikeouts this season and is up to 99 total strikeouts in only 62.1 innings. She ranks Top 5 nationally in strikeouts per 7.0 innings.

This is the second American Pitcher of the Week honor for Barber.

Barber and the Shockers open a four-game Texas road trip at Texas A&M Commerce on Wednesday at 2 p.m. on ESPN+.​
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

While Addie is in 10th on the NCAA All-Time home run list she is 3rd in home runs per game.

image.png
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; 1 week ago.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      While Addie is in 10th on the NCAA All-Time home run list she is 2rd in home runs per game.
                      Third behind Ali and Spaid? Way up there for sure.

Comment

Some softball and volleyball notables from the Wheaties Awards (Wheatshockers, not the cereal, I presume). :)

Comment

I wonder what they used to put in the Wheaties...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I wished you hadn't mentioned that. I consumed a lot of Wheaties in my youth. Hopefully, there are no latent effects.

Comment

"Late or early don't make no difference, man, a **** a ***."

Donald Clarence (D.C.) Dacey

Give the man his groceries.

Comment

RH: Barber, Howell Rebound in Recent Outings -- Practice Drill Helps Pitchers Gain Confidence

Facing great hitters in pressure situations is helping Wichita State pitchers revive their confidence.

Those matchups happen in practice over recent weeks as coaches introduced a drill where pitchers throw four rounds against Shocker hitters.

Score is kept.

The first round is WSU's top three hitters, plus Lauren Lucas, who is far enough in her injury recovery to swing a bat. The second round puts runners on base.

The third round is vs. WSU's bottom three hitters, plus CC Wong, the nation's top hitter, with the pressure on to avoid turning the lineup over to face Wong.

The final round matches pitchers vs. pinch-hitters with scenarios, such as runners on or tie score, to add to the stakes.

​"We've been trying to put that kind of pressure into our bullpens," Bredbenner said. "We're making it situational, to emulate what a game-like feel is. Coming in in relief or coming out of an inning after we just took the lead – that's been a big struggle for us, giving up the lead right after we got it."

​"It helps me to have pressure simulated," freshman pitcher Chloe Barber said. "Being able to work through those have been huge for me. It helps me build confidence. We have a very good lineup and if I can have success against them, I can have success against most teams."

"I can learn how to work through tougher situations, instead of potentially giving in," Barber said. "I was (am) trying to focus on pounding the zone. Any time I would get behind, I would really focus on rhythm and my mechanics."

WSU's past seven games indicate an encouraging trend for the pitchers. WSU owns a 2.17 ERA in that span, highlight by back-to-back three-hitters in 9-1 and 5-0 win over UAB last weekend.​

Senior Lauren Howell and junior Alison Cooper are part of the recent trend.

On Saturday, Howell struck out six in the 9-1 win over UAB in six innings. Last week, Howell pitched well in a 6-5 loss to No. 6 Oklahoma State, holding the Cowgirls scoreless for four innings. She allowed two earned runs, four hits with three strikeouts in her four innings.

Earlier in April, Cooper, in relief of Howell, held No. 1 Oklahoma scoreless over six innings in a 7-0 loss. She followed that by holding USF to two earned runs over five innings in a 5-3 win. Cooper has compiled a 1.61 ERA in her last five outings.

"She's starting to spin the ball and really work her locations," Bredbenner said. "She didn't have the confidence she should have had. She's a great pitcher and has great spin. Now we're starting to build that confidence back in her, you're starting to see her pitch really well."​​

WSU's past seven games indicate an encouraging trend for the pitchers. WSU owns a 2.17 ERA in that span, highlight by back-to-back three-hitters in 9-1 and 5-0 win over UAB last weekend.​

So a question that remains is what is going on with Alex Aquilar who did not pitch at all in the 4 games last week and only pitched in 1 of the past 7 games mentioned above -- 5 innings against USF where she pitched pretty well after giving up 4 earned runs in the 1st inning. In her previous 3 outings vs Charlotte, Tulsa and South Florida Alex pitched 18 innings (7 + 6 + 5) allowing 15 runs (13 earned) on 18 hits while walking 6 and striking out 7 for an ERA of 6.50 and a WHIP of 1.33.

Is there an injury issue? Is it strictly a performance issue? Are Alison, Lauren and Chloe just pitching better now? Is their something else at play?

Alex would have been the logical one to start the Texas A&M- Commerce game which was cancelled. So I guess will see what happens the remaining 6 games or however many are actually played before heading to the AAC Tournament.

Comment

Working...
                                X