No announcement yet.

Softball in season news/awards/such and such

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADKS was on KGSO this morning and one of the things that he said about AB was she is not going to continue playing softball beyond college but will begin her career in Nursing. ADKS also talked about the plans to break ground on the indoor practice facility and hoped to get the last 3.5 million so they can start on the new Softball offices as soon as the practice facility is finished. The AAC Softball tournament will be left to a bidding process and ADKS alluded that the AAC reps were very impressed with the way the tournament was handled last week. Go Shocks

Comment

Losing Baddie and Syd in back to back years hurts. I like a lot of what we have returning and the recruiting looks promising. I believe a couple of them have been ranked Top 50.

Pitching

Alison Cooper (When she hits her spots she is pretty good. Relies on movement and placement)
      Erica Scherts (Unknown. Don't think she played at all but was talked up decently when recruited)
      Chloe Barber (Could be a killer. Needs to throw strikes.)
      Alex Aguilar (I like what she brings to the table. Allegedly injured this year but kept pitching. Needs to get healthy)

Rarely expect incoming FR to pitch right away. With Coop, Barber, and Alex we should be in decent shape if they continue to move forward

Positions

Sami Hood is a fantastic defender with a more than capable bat. She got off to a slow start this year and then had the injury/illness that kept her out around a month. Easily starting in the middle infield.
      Sydney Zenon didn't play a lot. Had some flashes. I believe she's a potential option at 1B.
      Mila Seaton, much like Sydney, had flashes. I'm not sure where she might fit in.
      Avery Barnard has loads of potential. We didn't really get to see her much outside of pinch running, but I think she's a potential weapon in the outfield or middle infield so long as she can hit at this level.
      Siera Hoekstra is also an option in the middle infield if she can stay healthy. That back spasm issue she had didn't look good.
      Krystin Nelson is our starting 3B without a doubt. Hopefully she hits in the first couple of weeks this coming season, but there's no worries about her otherwise.
      Sophie Johnson got a little time this year. Should have a decent bat but can she beat out the FR catcher we have coming in? Competition is good.
      Lauren Lucas returns to patrol what I assume will be CF. Will be great to have her bat back in the lineup as well. Remember, she was an All American in '23 (3rd team)
      Taylor Sedlacek filled in nicely at SS after Sami and Siera went down. She'll most likely move back to the OF. Would like to see her average improve a bit.
      Caroline Tallent is capable but really needs to be more consistent at the plate. I kind of hope we have someone coming in that can push her for a spot.
      Camryn Compton is another that gets some time but not a lot. I'm not sure if she has it in her to take over a starting spot.

This is everyone we have available to return (as far as I'm aware of). I think C and 1B are open for competition. In the OF, I think there's one spot open there with Lucas and Sedlacek locked in.

We're going to need some girls to step up offensively and we need the pitchers to also progress. I'll have to go look back at the recruits and where each plays potentially. I think a couple of them will have opportunities, but they're also going to be competing with the likes of Sydney, Mila, and Avery who have a year of some D1 experience already and I'm sure are itching to break into the lineup as well.

We're not going to be able to rely on the long ball near as much and will need more consistent approaches at the plate, but I think the ability to get on base is there and we just need to improve our timely hitting and utilize some of the speed that is out there.

I could see Livanec competing for the final OF spot as a FR. She'd also add a lefty to the lineup and we may need the potential speed on the bases.
      Lloyd is also a lefty OF who will get an opportunity.
      I'm not sure if Sliger will get a chance in the circle this year, but having nearly 1k strikeouts in HS is pretty impressive. There's at least something to work with.
      I don't see Beckerley competing right away unless she can shine behind the plate. I think her future may be as a utility OF type that fills in as needed. At least early in her career.

The above were the four signed in the fall and the only ones I can find with coach speaking about them on GoShockers. I was thinking everyone else mentioned in softball recruiting was '25, but that's not the case.

Gabby Scott will compete for the starting catchers spot. Described as having a quick release and elite arm behind the plate as well as a good hitter. Top 50 prospect.

I'm not sure if there's anyone else that I've missed for '24.

Class of '25 has a couple of Top 50 kids in it as well.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Wichita State Softball
        @GoShockersSB

The list of players with 90+ HR and 60+ SB in NCAA HISTORY:

1. Addison Barnard

That's the list.

image.png

That would make a pretty good photo as a basis for Addie's future bronze statue.

Comment

That Over 90/60 Club may be exclusive for a long time. Although I guess Karli Spaid is close.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 16, 2024, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Wichita State Softball
            @GoShockersSB

Who’s ?????

image.png​​

Comment

NFCA All-Central Region Honors for Addie and CC.

Comment

Avery Barnard and Siera Hockstra are in the portal.

Comment

Originally posted by OSShock View Post
                  Avery Barnard and Siera Hockstra are in the portal.
                  Most kids want to go where they will have a chance to play and if that wasn't in the cards for Avery and Siera then it is certainly understandable for them to look elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Most kids want to go where they will have a chance to play and if that wasn't in the cards for Avery and Siera then it is certainly understandable for them to look elsewhere.
                    I had high hopes that Avery's athleticism and speed would find a place this coming season.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

There are a lot of innings available in the outfield. We graduated the whole group. I doubt our starting outfield is all on the roster at this point.
                      Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
                        There are a lot of innings available in the outfield. We graduated the whole group. I doubt our starting outfield is all on the roster at this point.
                        Not quite. Lauren should be back after being out with injury and Taylor will probably move back to the OF as well.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Wow! Congrats to both CC and Addie on great seasons. They have set a very high standard both on and off the field for future Shockers.
                                Go Shocks!

Comment

Working...
                                X