X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We needed the divine intervention.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      I don't know all the rules of softball. If a batter hits a ball, and walked toward the dugout for whatever reason- thought the ball was caught, thought someone tagged 1st base, brain fart- wouldn't they be called out for being outside the base path? And therefore a throw to first would be unnecessary..?

A great win. Would be nice to have the big rallies earlier in the games. This will make their day off more enjoyable.

Comment

I'm guessing she ran to first but then headed to the dugout. Where was her first base coach?

Comment

Let me see if I can find a Rules Book online. Probably can't - they charge for those things.

The LiveStats says "runner vacated first" - possibly just taking a few steps toward her dugout is all it takes. Anything that the umpire interprets as "vacating." Quite likely there is some interpretation (how many steps, for example) that an umpire uses.

Comment

All of the Friday games have been "washed out" as the PV release says it.

The Shockers now close out their stay in PV with a game against UC Davis at 9 am on Saturday.
            Last edited by flyingMoose; February 16, 2024, 11:17 AM.

Comment

CC is hitting .529 with a 1.619 OPS.

Yes, it's a small sample size.

But yes, it's also against 3 ranked teams, and some of the better arms in the country.

The Portal taketh away, but sometimes, the Portal giveth as well.

We're also on the verge of being "big time" in the circle with Chloe.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                The LiveStats says "runner vacated first" - possibly just taking a few steps toward her dugout is all it takes. Anything that the umpire interprets as "vacating." Quite likely there is some interpretation (how many steps, for example) that an umpire uses.
                My umpiring friend (D-I) says "in the opinion of the umpire, they have given up the base." I am visualizing three or four or five steps, but it is ultimately the opinion of the umpire. Certainly, she does not have to enter the dugout.

I would love to see a video of it.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  We're also on the verge of being "big time" in the circle with Chloe.
                  Let's wait a few weeks. Right now, those are the ERAs and WHIPs of the 2022 staff. Yes, noticeably stiffer competition, but I want to wait a bit. Ok, I will say it - I am not sold on the new pitching coach. When she was hired, I did not see anything compelling in her resume. I don't see any compelling differences in the circle, either. I want to wait.

Chloe needs to throw everything down the middle of the plate. Then her innate wildness will still keep most of the pitches in the zone. :)

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    CC is hitting .529 with a 1.619 OPS.

Yes, it's a small sample size.
                    If Statbroadcast is correct, she has zero strikeouts.

Since she isn't hitting homers, you could have a Ding Dong each game she doesn't strikeout if she didn't hit a homerun. Would hate for those snack cakes to go stale, they are only fresh for a few decades.

Comment

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks Burbs looks much more physically fit this year than she was last year coming off the year lost to ACL surgery. Has to help with her self-confidence as well.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 16, 2024, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          Am I the only one who thinks Burbs looks much more physically fit this year than she was last year coming of the year lost to ACL surgery. Has to help with her self-confidence as well.

She looked like a different player physically in the fall than previous years. Seems to be a great leader as well.

Comment

So has Chloe already moved to the top of the pitching rotation?

Comment

The lack of production form the bottom 5 spots in the lineup is an issue the Shocks need to resolve.

Against South Carolina the top of the order provided a majority of the damage for the offense. Of Wichita State's 12 hits, 10 of them came from the first four in the lineup.

CC Wong had another strong day at the plate, going 3-for-4 with two doubles. Sami Hood had a career-high three hits to go with two runs and an RBI. Addison Barnard went 2-for-4 with two RBI and Bailey Urban drove in two on a single and a double.

Krystin Nelson and Sydney Zenon were the only other Shockers to collect a hit.

After 5 games:

CC Wong (.529 Avg, 1.619 OPS)
                              Addie B (.368 Avg, 1.242 OPS)
                              Bailey Urban (.375 Avg, 1.100 OPS)
                              Sami Hood (.353 Avg, .742 OPS)
                              Lainee Brown (.111 Avg; .389 OPS)
                              Taylor Sedlacek (.188 Avg, .451 OPS)
                              Sydney Zenon (.176 Avg, .575 OPS)
                              Krystin Nelson (.067 Avg, .192 OPS)
                              Mila Seaton (.286 Avg, .661 OPS) - So far Mila seems to be the best we have for this spot.

We really need Lainee, Taylor and Krystin to get it going. IIRC Krystin started out last year with 1 hit in her first 19 at pats before she got going.

Mila only has 7 at bats with 2 singles so far so not much to go on. But the other 4 Shockers who have been to the plate this year (Caroline Tallent, Jess Garcia, Siera Hoekstra and Avery Barnard) are a combined 0-7. I thought they might consider letting Chloe Barber hit but so far this season that has not happened. Whether or not that changes remains to be seen.

At this point I wonder if they are leaning towards redshirting freshman catcher Sophie Johnson and freshman pitcher Erica Schertz.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 16, 2024, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I look for Zenon to do big things soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X