2023-24 Volleyball Transfer Portal News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lostshocker View Post

But would she be playing both basketball and volleyball as she did at Nebraska? She was on a basketball scholarship as well.
    I think WSU could and would accommodate that. But as WuDrWu pointed out it is unlikely she will even consider Wichita State. Probably the biggest attraction Wichita State offers for a player like Maggie Mendelson is their reputation for keeping their middles as active as possible and a key part of their offensive attack.

And Terry Nooner would probably kill to get a mobile 6-5 post player I would think even if they miss a good chunk of the non-con schedule.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...ls/ar-AA1lYd9r

Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 24, 2023, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lostshocker View Post

But would she be playing both basketball and volleyball as she did at Nebraska? She was on a basketball scholarship as well.
      Both basketball and volleyball are head count sports, meaning they only offer full scholarships. She was on a basketball scholarship only which makes sense. Women's basketball has a scholarship limit of 15 which is more than needed. So giving her a basketball scholarship allows you to avoid using one of your 12 volleyball full ride scholarships, effectively giving you a 13th volleyball scholarship.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 24, 2023, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I see that:

https://twitter.com/CVBTransfers/sta...54420543074537

As is Lauren Cary:

https://twitter.com/CVBTransfers/sta...73557944459672

Neither are a big surprise. I wish them both the very best going forward.

Bot ladies received 2 years of college education and some valuable training and development at Wichita State which should help them find a good landing spot for them.
        Lauren Cary to Oklahoma Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Lauren Cary to Oklahoma Christian.
          Probably a good move for Lauren. At 5-11 she is a bit undersized in the middle and even with Frosty apparently moving on that position is pretty crowded at WSU. And, of course, its's possible she will move to the outside. Lauren, who went to Wichita Trinity High School, will be close enough to home in Edmond that her family can pretty easily attend her home matches. I hope it works out well for Lauren.

Comment

Foster-SMU.

Comment

Likely a wonderful graduate degree. Wish Nat the absolute best.

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
                Foster-SMU.
                The two primary middles for SMU (Glover and Clothier) were GR this past year. A FR was in the wings and played almost half of their matches. Natalie should be a help as the Mustangs move to the ACC in 2024.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

The two primary middles for SMU (Glover and Clothier) were GR this past year. A FR was in the wings and played almost half of their matches. Natalie should be a help as the Mustangs move to the ACC in 2024.
                  I think SMU will be a good fit for Frosty. I hope she does well. I wonder if we will see SMU as a non-conference foe next year since they are leaving the AAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Critter's Pa View Post
                    I do believe I have found out why Mike Kennedy said that this was Izzi's last year. If you look on the game day programs, it has Izzi listed as a senior with an asterisk, that asterisk meaning extra season due to covid year taken. Sophia (Senior*) and Brylee (RS-Senior*) were listed the same way. I don't know if you can see the individual game day digital programs anymore, but it is listed like that in the Digital Program Yearbook. I noticed that a few weeks ago, but don't think I mentioned it.

* = Reflects extra year of eligibility due to COVID-19

However, not all asterisks are equal. Both Sophia and Izzi were listed as a Senior with an asterisk. However, Sophia was a 5th year senior and Izzi was a 4th year senior, each having played during 2020-21 Covid spring season that did not count towards eligibility. Sophia started college in the fall of 2019 and used up her 4 years in 2019, 2021, 2022 and 2023 fall seasons. Sophia started college in the fall of 2020 used eligibility in the 2021, 2022 and 2023 fall seasons.

Perhaps that did mislead Mike, and it is not that big of a deal. However, somehow us regular ol' fans had that pegged correctly. But no doubt it is confusing and I had said in the past that they needed to list both class year and eligibility year on rosters. I would have listed Brylee as RSr-4, Sophia as Sr-4 and Izzie as Sr-3.

Comment

Originally posted by Critter's Pa View Post
                      Alyssa Gonzales a 6'1" outside hitter from TCU is coming to WSU. She is a red shirt freshman.
                      Critter's Pa I am curious where you came across this information. Not doubting you, I just haven't come across any info regarding Alyssa either joining the portal or committing to the Shocks. Just curious if you have a source better than the ones I have found.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

SMU signs a 2nd 6-4 grad transfer middle to pair up with Natalie. She is originally from the Dallas area.

I am thinking SMU has some deep pocketed boosters kicking in some nice NIL bucks towards SMU's volleyball program.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Critter's Pa I am curious where you came across this information. Not doubting you, I just haven't come across any info regarding Alyssa either joining the portal or committing to the Shocks. Just curious if you have a source better than the ones I have found.
                            Not speaking for Critter's Pa but there is a spreadsheet attached to the Volleyball Transfer Portal Twitter Page that lists that particular transfer. That spreadsheet has been very reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Not speaking for Critter's Pa but there is a spreadsheet attached to the Volleyball Transfer Portal Twitter Page that lists that particular transfer. That spreadsheet has been very reliable.
                              Thanks, I will look for that.

Comment

Explore @collegevbtransfers's official socials, latest products, announcements, relevant content and more. Everything they do, all in one place on Linktree.

Click the first (top) button and then look for the tabs along the bottom of the Excel spreadsheet.

Comment

Working...
                                X