2023-24 Volleyball Transfer Portal News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023-24 Volleyball Transfer Portal News

The fall window for the NCAA Volleyball transfer portal opened on Sunday, December 3rd and runs through Monday, January 1st.

Here is an interesting player that caught my eye.

FORMER HUSKER LAUENSTEIN HITS TRANSFER PORTAL. OPPOSITE HITTER HAS TWO YEARS OF ELIGIBILITY

Nebraska Bio: https://huskers.com/sports/volleybal...ney-lauenstein

Whether or not a Husker level player would have any interest in Wichita State is another thing. My guess is she will be looking for P-5 offers and will get some.

Nebraska Bio: https://huskers.com/sports/volleybal...ney-lauenstein

But in the past year, Lauenstein got engaged in April and gave birth to a daughter in June. Perhaps as a young mother she might relate well with Shocker assistant Katie (Reilly) Zimmerman.

This would be a home run for Wichita State although I think the probability is low. But who wouldn't want a player whose nickname is Big HIt Whit. Probably will take a nice NIL package that I doubt WSU can match.

Since she is from Waverly, NE and she is not going back to Nebraska it would not surprise me if she ends up at Creighton.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 5, 2023, 12:35 PM.

Not sure what is the best place to follow Volleyball transfers that isn't behind a paywall. I found Whitney Lauenstein on the following Xitter account:

Unfortunately, is is not very interactive organized.

Comment

I did see that West Virginia had 4 players in the portal so far. One that a caught my eye:

West Virginia Bio: https://wvusports.com/sports/womens-...-jackson/17278

Her stats freshman and sophomore stats were okay. But you can't teach/coach 6-4 and she is from Tulsa.

Might work to take the place of Sophia.

Comment

On his last Coach's Show on November 27th Lambo discussed portal recruiting:

Here is a link to the show: https://www.audacy.com/podcast/kfhfm...5-18c622f2207f

The discussion starts at the 42:30 mark.

Sounds like Lambo is not all that thrilled about the new world order in collegiate athletics but realizes if you set on the sidelines you will be left out in the cold. He said he had already been in contact with players in the portal and had several calls with them through the Thanksgiving weekend. He said that this is despite not knowing for sure at that time what the situation with his team would be once they compete their season and have individual player meetings.

Comment

Lauren Wheeler is in the portal if not mentioned yet.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            Lauren Wheeler is in the portal if not mentioned yet.
            I see that:

https://twitter.com/CVBTransfers/sta...54420543074537

As is Lauren Cary:

https://twitter.com/CVBTransfers/sta...73557944459672

Neither are a big surprise. I wish them both the very best going forward.

Bot ladies received 2 years of college education and some valuable training and development at Wichita State which should help them find a good landing spot for them.

Comment

I wonder if the Laurens will be able to play tonight. I thought that once someone entered the portal, they were off the team until another team picked them up.

Comment

Originally posted by Critter's Pa View Post
                I wonder if the Laurens will be able to play tonight. I thought that once someone entered the portal, they were off the team until another team picked them up.
                In college football there is actually no rule preventing a player in the transfer portal from playing in the bowl game of his former team.

“It is at the coach’s discretion,” an NCAA compliance source explained. “It might be weird, but going into the portal does not automatically remove a player from the eligible roster, though many schools wouldn’t play the player.”

I would think this would apply across the board for all sports.

This is potentially more of an issue regarding Lauren Wheeler as she is our only other setter on the roster.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 6, 2023, 03:15 PM.

Comment

So far 2 transfers and 5 graduates. Pure speculation but I'd expect the transfer number to double. 9 of 21 turnover....probably the norm in today's athletic world. Near 50% roster turnover every year.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    So far 2 transfers and 5 graduates. Pure speculation but I'd expect the transfer number to double. 9 of 21 turnover....probably the norm in today's athletic world. Near 50% roster turnover every year.
                    Especially when you are carrying 21 players on the roster with only 12 of those on volleyball scholarships.

The redshirts on this year roster are: 6-3 MB Haley Wolfe, 6-2 MB Allie Paulsen, both true freshmen this year and 6-1 So. OH Maddie Wilson who played her freshman year at Idaho in 2022.

With Frosty and Swifty coming back (or at least eligible to return -- who knows these days) the MB position appears to be well stocked. Of course, these days that can change in a flash.

Incoming 2024 recruiting class includes:
                    Sarah Musial (6-1, S) - St. Charles East HS, St. Charles, Illinois; Approach Touch 1 Arm - 118"
                    Nadia Wasilewski (6-1, OH) - Jackson High School, Jackson, Missouri; Block Touch 2 Arms = 109"; Approach Touch 1 Arm - 117"
                    Olivia Brown (5-3. L/DS) - Flower Mound High School, Flower Mound, TX
                    Grace Hett (5-5, L/DS) - Marion High School, Marion, KS
                    Ava Anderson (6-0, OH) - Bishop Miege High School, Overland Park, KS
                    Gracie Morrow (6-0, OH, DS) - Maize South High School, Maize, KS; Block Touch 2 Arms = 114"; Approach Touch 1 Arm - 121"
                    Simone Grieser (5-11 RSH, OH, S) - North Creek High School, Woodinville, WA; Block Touch 2 Arms = 112"; Approach Touch 1 Arm = 114"

You know these are not all scholarship players.

So at this point we have 7 heading out and 7 coming in.

So yeah another couple of transfers would not be surprising at all. What do last year's incoming transfers that didn't play much do? I'm thinking Brooklyn Leggett who played in only 8 sets this year and Megan Reilly who is in her 3rd year of college and has yet played in a college match and now only has 2 years left on her 5-year clock. Although chances are both are non-scholarship players. Not sure if you have to sit out if you are a non-scholarship transfer.

Comment

Who start at Libero in this match? Gabi or Katie. Might depend on who played best during practice since the previous match. Not sure it makes a lot of difference both will get ample time on the back row.

Who will start on the left. No doubt Brylee will if she healthy enough. Then it's probably either Emerson or Ba. My choice would be Emerson but nether has been terribly consistent this year.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        I did see that West Virginia had 4 players in the portal so far. One that a caught my eye:

West Virginia Bio: https://wvusports.com/sports/womens-...-jackson/17278

Her stats freshman and sophomore stats were okay. But you can't teach/coach 6-4 and she is from Tulsa.

Might work to take the place of Sophia.
                        She is eye catching alright

Comment

I do like all our littles, but Mackenzie Morris, K-State's libero, is in the transfer portal. I think she is the best libero in the Big 12. Doubt she will look outside of the power five, but we don't want her going to any other team in the American, especially Rice.

Comment

C’mon. Nobody yet!?

Bye Frosty!

Any questions about this one?

Comment

Originally posted by jimshocker View Post
                              C’mon. Nobody yet!?

Bye Frosty!

Any questions about this one?
                              Yet? I mean, it's been 2 whole hours between when the post was made on X and your post.

You seem to be glad, perhaps giddy, that one of our better players is leaving. That's a shame.

Scholarship is probably the reason she hit the portal. Frosty is/will be a graduate student. This is her fourth year with the program and I bet there is no scholarship here for her unfortunately. Wish we could have given her a senior day sendoff. In a non-Covid world, this would have been her senior year. Will miss seeing her play and wish her the best wherever she lands (unless it's an AAC team). Maybe she can get a deal like Kayce did.

Comment

Working...
                              X