2023 NIVC Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    UTEP has a girl from Leon, KS who is a menace. I wonder if we were in on her or not.
    Torrence Lovesee as a redshirt freshman in 2022
    • Played in 108 sets over 28 matches while making 27 starts
    • Three-time C-USA Player of the Week: Sep. 26 & Oct. 3 – Offensive Player of the Week, Nov. 14 – Co-Freshman of the Week
    • Led the Miner offense in kills (295), kills per set (2.73), and points per set (3.25)
    • Ranked second on the team in points (350.5)
    • Recorded 16 double-digit kills
    • Season-highs: .727 hitting percentage (9/30), six total blocks (10/16), 20 kills on 41 attempts (10/28), and four services aces (11/10)
    • Hit for. 300 or better on seven occasions
    • Ranked 16th in C-USA in kills/set (2.73)
    • C-USA All-Conference Second Team selection (11/17)

Also, noticed that UTEP has players from Italy, Mexico, Turkey, and 2 from Serbia.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimshocker View Post

The answer to that question is no.

The reason is because she did not play club ball for Shockwave.
      Dude, give it a rest.

Don't you need to clean and press your Miners sweatshirt before tomorrow?

Comment

• UTEP 53% with the home court factor

Comment

Dude, give it a rest.

Don't you need to clean and press your Miners sweatshirt before tomorrow?
          Easy brother. Give what a rest?
          A question was asked. An answer was given.

If you think my answer is incorrect, ask around, find a different answer and tell me I’m wrong.

Find the last local kid that was “recruited” to WSU that didn’t play in Chris’s club.

I won’t hold my breath too long.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimshocker View Post

I won’t hold my breath too long.

Oh, I wish you would.

(I know I shouldn't do this but....)

Given that most recruiting is done prior to the start of junior year in high school, is it not possible that identifying "local" talent and encouraging them to join a particular club that can come under the development of the staff seems like a prudent idea?

I am pretty sure it's not like they are saying "I like Suzy but she's at ICT Elite so I'm not going to recruit her".

Comment

I am pretty sure it's not like they are saying "I like Suzy but she's at ICT Elite so I'm not going to recruit her".
              Oh, I wish for you to double check on that, You might be surprised.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                UTEP 53% with the home court factor
                Massey does something similar with its values. It has the Shockers as 55% favorites.

Comment

• Hopefully, this UTEP match in El Paso coming right in the middle of finals week won't cause too much havoc for the players and student managers. Just one more thing for them to have on their minds.

Comment

• Comment

• Tickets for the game weren't available for long. Thought about making the trip for a bit, but I probably wouldn't do well in that environment.

Comment

• WICHITA STATE (25-8, 15-4 American)

Tuesday, Dec. 12 (8:00 p.m. CT) at UTEP (25-9, 11-5 Conference USA)
                        El Paso, Texas (Memorial Gym)
                        Live Stats // Watch

SCOUTING THE MINERS:
                        • UTEP enters play on Tuesday with an overall record of 25-9, including an 11-5 mark in Conference USA play. The Miners finished in a three-way tie for second place in the conference with New Mexico State and Middle Tennessee State; Western Kentucky went 16-0 to claim the league's automatic berth to the NCAA tournament.
                        • The Miners are making their second deep run in the NIVC in recent years. The 2021 club reached the semifinals where they were defeated by eventual champion UNLV. The two NIVC appearances are the only two postseason trips in program history.
                        • UTEP bested fellow American Athletic Conference foes North Texas and South Florida on their way to the championship match. Earlier this season, the Miners also defeated AAC member Tulane in New Orleans.
                        • The Miners boast one of the nation's most potent offensive attacks, both at the service line and in the flow of play. UTEP ranks 10th nationally with 1.97 service aces per set and 20th with a hitting percentage of .274. Kansas native Torrance Lovesee paces the attack with 2.62 kills per set.
                        • Defensively, middle blocker Kaya Weaver is a force to be reckoned with. The sophomore ranks sixth nationally with 166 total blocks and notched eight apiece in the NIVC wins over North Texas and Clemson.
                        • The Miners average the fourth-fewest digs in the country, logging just 10.89 ups per set.

Go Shocks!

Comment

Tickets for the game weren't available for long. Thought about making the trip for a bit, but I probably wouldn't do well in that environment.
                          Pretty nice volleyball facility (looks like it can double as a basketball practice facility as well). The home of the 1966 NCAA Basketball Champions, Memorial Gym continues to house the UTEP volleyball team since the program's inception in 1974. With capacity at 5,200.

Comment

• That cannot be right…… no way that’s half the Chuck.

Comment

• Shocker's serve receive will need to bring their A-game. In the last four games UTEP have had lots of aces. 11 against North Texas, UT Arlington-14, Clemson-8, and USF-9. UTEP gives up their fair share of aces too, NT-9, UTA-5, Clem-7 and USF-5. The Shockers don't usually employ aggressive service tactics, but they might be able to get a few aces off safer serves. If the Shockers can keep from racking up service errors like UTEP's last four opponents (12, 8, 5, 5), that would be even better. UTEP also commit a lot of service errors NT-11, UTA-8, Clem-10, and USF-10. The no-service-error strategy may pay off for the Shockers.

UTEP has lead in blocks in every game this tournament. NT 14-12, UTA 10-5, Clem, 14-9, USF 10-2. If they out block the Shockers like UTEP did to USF, it's gonna be ugly for WSU. Would love it if the Shockers out blocked UTEP 10-2.

Comment

• No television?

Comment

Working...
                                X