2023 NIVC Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 NIVC Tournament

The Shockers are one of ninety-six teams on the Watch List. I am not sure what the selection criteria are.

Invitations go out after the NCAA Tournament announcement on Sunday evening.

I think the Shocks chances of getting an invite are very high and I would expect them to host a first and second round matches.

Update: Mike Kennedy just reported this same opinion based on information out of the Shocker athletic department although that won't be confirmed until Sunday evening.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 25, 2023, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Have heard hosting for sure, question is will it be Thursday night or Friday afternoon because of women's bb game Friday night. .

Comment

The tournament site

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
          Have heard hosting for sure, question is will it be Thursday night or Friday afternoon because of women's bb game Friday night.
          MBB is Wednesday and WBB is Friday. I could see two games on Thursday (4 pm and 7 pm?) and another on Friday afternoon. Because of lodging expenses, I would not expect Thursday and Saturday. Although the Shocker attendance history makes them a prime host site, the facility availability may be an issue.

Comment

The Shockers host on Thursday with Tulsa v UMKC at 330 pm and Arkansas State at Shockers at 6 pm. The winners play on Friday at 130 pm.

The winner of this pod plays the winner of the Drake pod. Drake played in the championship game of the 2022 NIVC.

East Carolina, USF, North Texas, and Florida Atlantic are all on the other side of the bracket. Rice was not on the Watch List for the tournament. They declined when the NIVC put out feelers earlier on?

Last year, the Shockers did not show up for their first match. It was embarrassing.
            Last edited by flyingMoose; November 26, 2023, 07:33 PM.

Comment

6 American teams in the tourney. Us, Tulsa, USF, ECU, North Texas & FAU.

Comment

From a VT post, all the teams at 1% or better -

According to Pablo

18% Wichita State
                16% Drake
                12% UTEP
                7% Georgia Southern
                7% St. Johns
                6% Pacific
                5% Middle Tennessee
                4% East Carolina
                3% UNLV
                3% Clemson
                3% Wyoming
                2% Sacramento State
                2% Northern Colorado
                2% Buffalo
                2% Eastern Kentucky
                1% Ball State
                1% North Texas
                1% Tulsa

Much of the Shocker's chances depend on enough of them wanting to be there (see last year). That, and getting something out of the left side. The Shocker pod and the Drake pod winners playing each other next week is a big factor also.

Comment

Kind of wondering a little what the lineup will look like....if this were college football the lineup would likely be hugely different than senior night.

I won't publicly speculate or go into detail, but graduation and transfers would (again, in football) create chaos. There was some discussion about allowing redshirts to play in "bowl" games...I wonder how that would work in these minor tournaments (NIT for example) and women's sports. Allowing, for instance, Maddie Wilson to play in the NIVC due to say Sophia moving on to her job (a spectacularly great job btw) and not lose the year of eligibility would seem to make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                    Much of the Shocker's chances depend on enough of them wanting to be there (see last year). That, and getting something out of the left side.
                    Shouldn't we be using it as an opportunity to flash some NIL moolah in front of the really good players at the crappy schools?
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

In the Drake Pod, DePaul defeated Southern Illinois in 4 sets 27-25, 25-21, 27-29, 26-24.

Drake is playing Chicago state right now. They are tied at 25 in the first set. Drake won in 3 sets (27) (18) (16).

Drake and DePaul play tomorrow at 6 pm. The winner plays the winner of the Shocker's pod.
                      Last edited by Critter's Pa; November 29, 2023, 07:38 PM.

Comment

From the Bracketology geek on VT -

I'll take Wichita State, Pacific, Clemson, and St. John's for the Final Four.

Sadly, I doubt the Shockers can keep their act together for that long. If they can get out of their pod and past Drake, then I can start being a believer. :)

Comment

Tulsa is 60% and the Shockers are 89%.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                            Tulsa is 60% and the Shockers are 89%.
                            You always make me worry.

Comment

Katie Galligan wearing the Libero jersey for the Shocks tonight for the first this season. Probably the first time in her career.

Comment

Working...
                              X