2023 NIVC Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Today's attendance was 1,028. So we broke a 1,000 thanks to the Montana State fans.

I am a bit concerned about what this says about the state of the Shocker's fan base at this point. Perhaps it's just a matter that hey it's women's sports and it's not the NCAA Tournament so what else would you expect.
    I am not going to do the research, but I suspect only SB has a higher attendance since COVID, since he-who-shall-not-be-named AD, and since the current inflationary environment. Maybe someone understands what I just tried to say. :(

Comment

• Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

I am not going to do the research, but I suspect only SB has a higher attendance since COVID, since he-who-shall-not-be-named AD, and since the current inflationary environment. Maybe someone understands what I just tried to say. :(
      That's the point though. Softball's attendance is increasing because of their success. But volleyball had their best season in quite some time this year. We have a new, energetic and simply very competent AD. Covid while still around is pretty much a endemic flu bug for the vast majority of people. And while I understand that current financial environment is a burden on many folks, it's not like WSU is charging an arm and leg to get into the NIVC matches. Our average attendance at home during the regulars season was 1,640. Our average attendance in our 4 NIVC games has been 755, a 54% decline from the regular season. Granted the regular season is tickets sold and not necessarily butts in the seat but it seems to me like a good chunk of the season ticket holders did not come out for the NIVC and the more casual fan did not show up either.

I still think the ease of watching matches at your convenience from the comfort of home with your favorite beverage and snacks at cost of 20% (maybe less) of what the concessions will run you is certainly a motivating factor to stay home.

Comment

• RH: Shockers Handle Another Close Match To Advance

Playing at home helps and the Shockers handled those tight moments well. Their balanced offense means defenders can't get comfortable blocking and Stout, Foster and Rohling are capable of physically overwhelming opponents in the NIVC.

"We've found ways to stay composed, get that pass in there," coach Chris Lamb said. "Izzi's done a good job making the right decisions. Hitters got to be confident and take those swings at crunch time. Pay close attention and you'll see some big moments where people don't take the swing."

The Shockers hit .313 for the match, .486 in the first set and .414 in the second. Stout finished with 14 kills and hit .565. Foster added six kills and hit .417. Rohling contributed eight kills.

As has become the pattern in the NIVC, middles Stout and Foster presented challenges that the defense couldn't solve.

"They're both long and they can run a variety of sets so they can stretch you out across the net," Montana State coach Matt Houk said.

The Bobcats knew they had to serve aggressively to keep the Shockers out of system. They recorded three aces in the first set and the Shockers rarely looked comfortable in the back row. However, the service errors mounted in the next two sets.

"Wichita's got a lot of weapons, so you've got to try to knock them out of system and limit how often they can set the quick," Houk said. "We executed that quite well in set one."

The Bobcats finished with four aces – same as WSU – and 11 service errors. The Shockers limited their service errors to four. As the match wore on, the Shockers got more comfortable letting those serves sail out.

As Lamb pointed out, the Shockers can't replicate that (kind of serving) in practices, and he would like to develop more of that type of serving in the spring.

"They had great serves, really high and deep," Strand said. "That's a really hard serve to pass. I think our back row really adjusted really well."

Comment

• Why couldn't a mechanical means of replicating ANY type of serve be developed. If one doesn't already exist then I think we have access to a pretty good engineering school.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
            Why couldn't a mechanical means of replicating ANY type of serve be developed. If one doesn't already exist then I think we have access to a pretty good engineering school.
            Who knows, but I'd rather have our own players develop stronger serving skills to challenge their teammate with. If it was possible at price point that made sense it probably would already be around. Of course, for WSU that price point would have to be relatively low for Lambo to want to allocate any of his already tight budget to that.

Comment

• If I'm reading the room right, we need to cheer for USF to win at UTEP this afternoon, otherwise we're heading to El Paso for the final on Tuesday.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but that's what I'm picking up. And I don't think USF has a 1 in 10 chance of beating UTEP. The Miners are very good.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                If I'm reading the room right, we need to cheer for USF to win at UTEP this afternoon, otherwise we're heading to El Paso for the final on Tuesday.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but that's what I'm picking up. And I don't think USF has a 1 in 10 chance of beating UTEP. The Miners are very good.

I think you are correct. First set just ended UTEP 25 - USF 14. Maybe USF can turn it on.

UTEP takes set 2 26-24

UTEP takes set 3 25-13

UTEP hit .475 (42 4 80) had 9 aces, 10 service errors, and 10 blocks. USF hit .136 (32 20 88) had 5 aces, 5 service errors, and 2 blocks.
                Last edited by Critter's Pa; December 10, 2023, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• In the second set, USF is up 24-22 but loses the next four points.

UTEP 2-0 USF
                  14 24

at this point.

EDIT: and then 13.

UTEP 3-0 USF
                  14 24 13

.475 v .136
                  just 4 errors on 80 swings
                  10 blocks v 2

Methinks we are headed to El Paso to Go Hang a Banner.
                  Last edited by flyingMoose; December 10, 2023, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• USF bungled the 2nd set but I doubt it would have mattered, the Miners are just better.

Comment

• Agree with heading to UTEP, they have been averaging over 3000 for all their matches so far.

Comment

• UTEP put up video game numbers against USF outhitting the Bulls .475 to .136. UTEP was 42-4-80 for a whopping 52.5% kill rate and a miniscule 5% error rate. While they did make 10 service errors they also had 9 service aces. Also UTEP had 10 blocks to only 2 for USF.

Pretty much total domination.

The Shocks are probably heading to El Paso but I am not at all sure it will be to hang a banner.

Sounds like a team that serves aggressively which are exactly the kind of teams that can keep the Shocks out of system which makes it more difficult to deploy our middles. Playing in front of a big home crowd will probably only help UTEP.

Going to be a tough one.

Comment

• Confirmed about an hour ago we’ll head to El Paso.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

Methinks we are headed to El Paso to Go Hang a Banner.
                            Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

The Shocks are probably heading to El Paso but I am not at all sure it will be to hang a banner.
                            Okay, let me say it this way: If we are Going to Hang a Banner, it is going to have to be in El Paso.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Going to be a tough one.
                            Yeppers.

Comment

• UTEP has a girl from Leon, KS who is a menace. I wonder if we were in on her or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                                UTEP has a girl from Leon, KS who is a menace. I wonder if we were in on her or not.
                                The answer to that question is no.

The reason is because she did not play club ball for Shockwave.

Comment

Working...
                                X