Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volleyball: Under Armour Challenge (Aug 25-26)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

We get a break or two and Rohling plays, we are probably 2-1 and every feels pretty good about the weekend.
    perhaps, but as one S’netter says if “Ifs and buts were candy and nuts….”
    Shox got a win against Houston Christian and a win is a win.
    Onward and upward.

Comment

I was actually surprised how good Sophia looked against Houston Christian after being not playing against ND and being very tentative and not very effective in the 2 sets she played in against Tech. She was really cutting loose against HCU and just about decapitated that one young lady on the back row.

Hopefully, she can make it through he season without a relapse but that might be too much to ask.

Comment

Other Scores

Fri

Texas Tech 3-2 Houston Christian

Sat

Abilene Christian 3-1 Houston Christian

Texas Tech 3-1 Notre Dame

Sun

Texas Tech 3-1 Abilene Christian

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          I was actually surprised how good Sophia looked against Houston Christian after being not playing against ND and being very tentative and not very effective in the 2 sets she played in against Tech. She was really cutting loose against HCU and just about decapitated that one young lady on the back row.

Hopefully, she can make it through he season without a relapse but that might be too much to ask.
          Here is the play from Sophia I was referring to. Thankfully, the HCU player, who was definitely stunned by that shot was able to continue.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
              And when is the show? I could try to look it up, but somebody already knows.
              goshockers.com still has the 2022-23 schedule up. But I heard on the radio this morning that the show will air at 6;00 PM this evening on KFH Radio (1240 AM/97.5 FM).

Not sure if that is broadcast from Deano's again this year or if the broadcast is live.

Comment

More Details:

Comment

More Details:

Nobody has commented yet on the radio show? The first segment and a half was very interesting.

It sounded to me like a guy who might have been doing his last first radio show of the season.

Still full of double talk and excuses.

Starts with the 24 years of Chris and his contributions. One key note was the “raise a family” in Wichita. After this year his family is all grown up,

Then goes into a weird discussion about the difficulty of being the WSU volleyball coach. Man, if this guy was in an interview process for why do you want to lead the WSU volleyball program, did he say one positive thing? I would look for a guy more excited to coach at WSU!

Then goes into a discussion about how WSU will essentially never win their side of the conference, Rice and SMU are just too good for WSU to expect more than 3rd.

Interestingly if his talk about RPI is right and Rice and SMU are that good, than 3rd with a high RPI should still be fine. And able to get into the NCAA.

A bizzare “analogy” about a hose missing parts. What!?

Of course you need to win the NON Con to make that happen. And now of course due to injuries, the NON Con is going to be tough. So, don’t focus on wins focus on things NOT on the court.

To sum it up.

Needed a good noncon to have a good RPI, but injuries will not allow that, and we won’t finish above 3rd at full strength, so WSU fans take what you get and don’t throw a fit.

I think Lambo wants to get to 25yrs at WSU and ride off into the sunset. He was hoping his transfers would get him 2 good years to get to 25.

Rough Start. I hope the coach gets a little more positive or it could spiral quickly.

Comment

I just don't understand how a conference can go without a conference tournament. We were basically eliminated from NCAA competition on Friday. What a lousy ass, midmajor conference.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      I just don't understand how a conference can go without a conference tournament. We were basically eliminated from NCAA competition on Friday. What a lousy ass, midmajor conference.
                      Story checks out.

Comment

This article by Taylor Eldgridge reports the highlights of Lambo's Monday radio show quite well: The portions I have copied are mostly regarding the impact of injuries but I would recommend reading the full article.

‘Look in the mirror’: How Chris Lamb graded opening weekend for Wichita State volleyball

https://goshockers.com/news/2023/8/23/volleyball-preview-under-armour-challenge.aspx Friday, Aug. 25 (1:30 p.m. CT) vs. Notre Dame Lubbock, Texas (United Supermarkets Arena) Live Stats (http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=480574&vislive=wich) // Watch (https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/1b9feb4b-2eea-4664-be73

For months leading up to the fall season, Chris Lamb figured the lineup for the Wichita State volleyball team was set in stone.

Those plans changed in the weeks leading up to last weekend’s season-opening tournament at Texas Tech, as an abdomen injury flared up with Sophia Rohling, leaving a massive absence on the right side.

Without fully-healthy Rohling, an all-conference opposite hitter, Lamb played Brylee Kelly, voted preseason American Athletic Conference Co-Player of the Year, out of position on the right side.

“We find ourselves searching for a lineup (early) in a year where we shouldn’t have to be doing that,” Lamb said on his radio show on Monday.

Lamb raved about his team’s progress this spring, then was ecstatic to learn athletic director Kevin Saal had allotted the money necessary for the program to have all of its players on campus in July — the first time that’s ever happened in his 24-year reign.

But all of that progress was difficult to remember on Monday when Lamb said two more starters, along with Rohling, sat out the day’s practice due to injury. Although the coach did not specify which two players, Kelly was unable to finish Saturday’s match against Houston Christian due to injury.

“For the first time, we were here on campus working out and getting in shape and yet, here we are in the preseason with nagging injuries like when you’re not ready to play,” Lamb said. “We just have to look in the mirror and ask ourselves, ‘Why? Is it something we’re doing? Is it something we didn’t do?’ I don’t know the answer, but that part is driving me crazy right now.”

One of the bright spots for Lamb was the play of outside hitter Emerson Wilford, who was called into action more heavily than anticipated due to injuries.

The 6-foot-2 sophomore finished with 29 kills on the weekend, which nearly equaled her career total entering the season. Her best match came against Houston Christian when she posted a double-double of 13 kills and 11 digs, both career-high marks.

Comment

This article by Taylor Eldgridge reports the highlights of Lambo's Monday radio show quite well: The portions I have copied are mostly regarding the impact of injuries but I would recommend reading the full article.

‘Look in the mirror’: How Chris Lamb graded opening weekend for Wichita State volleyball

https://shockernet.net/forum/wichita...e2#post1405938

For months leading up to the fall season, Chris Lamb figured the lineup for the Wichita State volleyball team was set in stone.

Those plans changed in the weeks leading up to last weekend’s season-opening tournament at Texas Tech, as an abdomen injury flared up with Sophia Rohling, leaving a massive absence on the right side.

Without fully-healthy Rohling, an all-conference opposite hitter, Lamb played Brylee Kelly, voted preseason American Athletic Conference Co-Player of the Year, out of position on the right side.

“We find ourselves searching for a lineup (early) in a year where we shouldn’t have to be doing that,” Lamb said on his radio show on Monday.

Lamb raved about his team’s progress this spring, then was ecstatic to learn athletic director Kevin Saal had allotted the money necessary for the program to have all of its players on campus in July — the first time that’s ever happened in his 24-year reign.

But all of that progress was difficult to remember on Monday when Lamb said two more starters, along with Rohling, sat out the day’s practice due to injury. Although the coach did not specify which two players, Kelly was unable to finish Saturday’s match against Houston Christian due to injury.

“For the first time, we were here on campus working out and getting in shape and yet, here we are in the preseason with nagging injuries like when you’re not ready to play,” Lamb said. “We just have to look in the mirror and ask ourselves, ‘Why? Is it something we’re doing? Is it something we didn’t do?’ I don’t know the answer, but that part is driving me crazy right now.”

One of the bright spots for Lamb was the play of outside hitter Emerson Wilford, who was called into action more heavily than anticipated due to injuries.

The 6-foot-2 sophomore finished with 29 kills on the weekend, which nearly equaled her career total entering the season. Her best match came against Houston Christian when she posted a double-double of 13 kills and 11 digs, both career-high marks.
                          With all due respect.

You and this article completely ignore and do not accurately highlight the first 15 minutes of the radio show.

Minus that 15 minutes it is a very good representation. In fact. It’s direct quotes.

I encourage everyone to listen to the first 15 minutes and hear Chris’ tone. It puts this article in full context.

Comment

Working...
                          X