2023 Volleyball Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ABC View Post
    For the folks that follow the VB closely, I am curious as to what think happened after WSU's initial VB AAC championship. Bad luck? Recruits that didn't pan out? Did Lambo lose a little bit of gumption?
    WuDrWu has some interesting insights into that and hopefully he will chime in. But I think this is a multi-faceted situation and not sure any of us have all the answers or reasons for the "decline" of the program.

Without going into too much detail I think recruiting misses, especially at the setter position, injuries, and the increase in transfer activity have all contributed. The double whammy of Gregg Marshall's termination and Covid slammed Wichita State's finances and my understanding is Lambo's recruiting budget was all but eliminated for a couple of years.

Perhaps the biggest blow to the program that is not so readily apparent to the casual fan is the head injury to Shannon Lamb which caused her to significantly curtail her activity before being forced to essentially retire and stay at home. I believe Shannon was a very valuable resource for Lambo, the program and the players.

When the Shockers joined the AAC for the 2017 season the AAC was comparable to the MVC as a volleyball league. Maybe slightly below at the top. After the Shockers blew through the AAC schedule undefeated in 2017 most of the rest of the league seemed to up the investment and interest in volleyball. I think this has happened nationwide as well, just as it has happened in softball. The talent pool for volleyball is getting better and better so more good players to go around. In any case, the AAC is now a far superior league to the MVC in volleyball in my opinion. Keeping up in recruiting against the Florida and Texas schools compared to the Valley schools is a much tougher proposition.

Has Lambo lost a bit of gumption or motivation? Hard to say. He has been at it a long-time. I think he still has it, but the head injury to Shannon certainly had to take some wind out of his sails and no doubt caused him to make some major adjustments both personally and professionally in dealing with that.

There are probably other factors that I have no clue about and my knowledge of the factors mentioned above is not real deep. These are just the observations of a fan with no special knowledge or access to any inside information.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 23, 2023, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Perhaps the biggest blow to the program that is not so readily apparent to the casual fan is the head injury to Shannon Lamb which caused her to significantly curtail her activity before being forced to essentially retire and stay at home. I believe Shannon was a very valuable resource for Lambo, the program and the players.
      Absolutely!! I forgot about this one.

Comment

I am not sure I was aware of the head injurty. Yes, that is a big deal.

Comment

I am not sure I was aware of the head injurty. Yes, that is a big deal.
          It wasn't broadly publicized.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

It wasn't broadly publicized.
            Just curious. Slip, trip, fall or vehicle accident?
            None of the above?
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

It sounds like it happened in an accident. Not to be too nosy, but can you say what happened?

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Just curious. Slip, trip, fall or vehicle accident?
                None of the above?
                What I heard was that it was an accident in the volleyball weight and conditioning center resulting in a blow to the head but I do not know the details.
                The Gregg Marshall firing, Covid and Shannon's accident all hit at generally the same time frame.

I really don't know how Shannon is currently doing are what her prognosis is for her condition to improve or for any future involvement with the program.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 23, 2023, 10:18 AM.

Comment

For the folks that follow the VB closely, I am curious as to what think happened after WSU's initial VB AAC championship. Bad luck? Recruits that didn't pan out? Did Lambo lose a little bit of gumption?
                  Don’t forget the transfers of nearly every impactful recruit in the subsequent 2 years after the championship. Total loss of recruiting momentum.

Oh, and Lambo was paid a huge contract bonus that essentially ensures job security for as long as Chris wants to keep cooking at WSU. Even if the meals vary in taste from one match to the next.

Comment

Yeah, it's best not to get me started regarding Shannon.

What she (and Chris) have done for young girls/women in this area, for 20+ years, will never be fully understood and it's impossible to bestow too much gratitude towards them.

Great points have been made and I don't know how much more I can add. Look at the coaching staff on the '17 team. Lambo, Shannon (irreplaceable), Sean Carter (Head Coach Idaho State) B-Mag (Video Coordinator-Admin NEBRASKA, was also the interim HC at Oral Roberts for a time) Austin Hosto (runs one of the best Clubs in the SW now) Julie Allen (Head Coach Adams State). It's tough to replace that kind of talent and elite work ethic.

For the 1st time in a decade plus we missed on an AA level setter. Not that there was anything wrong with Abby Harsh (there wasn't) but when she graduated in '07, we stepped into ELITE company for the next 10 years with Mary Elizabeth Hooper (elite 4 year starter), Chelsey Feekin (AA, probably should have played ahead of MEH her FR year and definitely her SO year, and MEH was the best setter in program history at that point) steps in and we get a LOT better for 2 years, then she hands the keys to Emily Heibert for the next 4 years. All Emily did was basically play every set of every match for 4 seasons, hand out 5k+ assists and stamp herself as the 2nd best setter in program history behind her predecessor. 10 seasons of no stress greatness at the most important position by far on the court. And all of them leaders.

We missed on Kora Kauling (she was a plug and play/can't miss setter imho out of high school and although she ended up having a pretty decent stint at Bradley, MVC setter of the Year, she wasn't who we expected) and she just didn't develop as quick as the previous 3, and frankly we've been chasing ever since. We brought in Kali Eakin (Louisville transfer) to help in 2018 (Kora wasn't ready) then McKayla Wuensch (Nevada) and Kayce Litzau who with Kora manned the position in 2019. Kora transferred to Bradley and Kayce has been good, but nowhere near the '08-'17 level we had.

We also completely owned local recruiting, even the state minus NE area, during those years. That's no longer the case and most of the reasons have nothing to do with the coach.

There's rarely one reason and that's certainly the case here. We also had some really good players transfer out that hurt us. Injuries too. Go back to 2010 and if Sarah McGee doesn't blow out her knee on senior night, we probably make the Sweet 16. There's been our fair share of injuries the last few seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      Yeah, it's best not to get me started regarding Shannon.

What she (and Chris) have done for young girls/women in this area, for 20+ years, will never be fully understood and it's impossible to bestow too much gratitude towards them.

Great points have been made and I don't know how much more I can add. Look at the coaching staff on the '17 team. Lambo, Shannon (irreplaceable), Sean Carter (Head Coach Idaho State) B-Mag (Video Coordinator-Admin NEBRASKA, was also the interim HC at Oral Roberts for a time) Austin Hosto (runs one of the best Clubs in the SW now) Julie Allen (Head Coach Adams State). It's tough to replace that kind of talent and elite work ethic.

For the 1st time in a decade plus we missed on an AA level setter. Not that there was anything wrong with Abby Harsh (there wasn't) but when she graduated in '07, we stepped into ELITE company for the next 10 years with Mary Elizabeth Hooper (elite 4 year starter), Chelsey Feekin (AA, probably should have played ahead of MEH her FR year and definitely her SO year, and MEH was the best setter in program history at that point) steps in and we get a LOT better for 2 years, then she hands the keys to Emily Heibert for the next 4 years. All Emily did was basically play every set of every match for 4 seasons, hand out 5k+ assists and stamp herself as the 2nd best setter in program history behind her predecessor. 10 seasons of no stress greatness at the most important position by far on the court. And all of them leaders.

We missed on Kora Kauling (she was a plug and play/can't miss setter imho out of high school and although she ended up having a pretty decent stint at Bradley, MVC setter of the Year, she wasn't who we expected) and she just didn't develop as quick as the previous 3, and frankly we've been chasing ever since. We brought in Kali Eakin (Louisville transfer) to help in 2018 (Kora wasn't ready) then McKayla Wuensch (Nevada) and Kayce Litzau who with Kora manned the position in 2019. Kora transferred to Bradley and Kayce has been good, but nowhere near the '08-'17 level we had.

We also completely owned local recruiting, even the state minus NE area, during those years. That's no longer the case and most of the reasons have nothing to do with the coach.

There's rarely one reason and that's certainly the case here. We also had some really good players transfer out that hurt us. Injuries too. Go back to 2010 and if Sarah McGee doesn't blow out her knee on senior night, we probably make the Sweet 16. There's been our fair share of injuries the last few seasons.
                      Speaking of favorite candy........

Comment

Go back to 2010 and if Sarah McGee doesn't blow out her knee on senior night, we probably make the Sweet 16.
                        Instead, we got unceremoniously dumped by OU in the first round. Tough night in Norman. Hoop was inconsolable and bawled in her dad’s arms. Poor girl. I attempted to offer whatever words of encouragement to her, approaching her and telling her that I was proud of her on multiple levels. Not that my words would mean much, but I had to try to offer some help.

I also met Doc for the first time in person that night after messaging him back and forth for quite awhile. Hard to believe that’s been almost 13 years.

78-65

Comment

IIRC in 2018, Kalie Eakin blew her knee out very early on in 18th match of the 32 match season. To that point Kalie and Kora were sharing the setting in a 6-2 offense, although in a couple of early matches Jordon Roberts shared the setting duties with Kali. After that Lambo was switching back and forth between a 5-1 with Kora and a 6-2 with Kora and Jordan and just really never found anything that clicked consistently. The Shocks finished 14-19 in that season. In 2019, Kayce's freshman year McKayla, Kayce and Kora shared setting duties and again nothing clicked. The Shocks finished at 9-19. The Shocks were 9-8 in 2020 when the season was cancelled.

Post Covid the Shocks improved to 19-10 (13-7) in 2020 and 18-13 (13-6) in 2021. Hopefully, we don't revisit those days although nothing is guaranteed. It would be nice if we could get back to the pre-2018 era but I think we may find that, similar to baseball for example, the glory days will be difficult to rekindle. So much is different. Time will tell. Hopefully, this year turns out to be a good one.

However, bigger picture, as WuDrWu pointed out the Legacy of Chris and Shannon Lambo and what they have done for volleyball in Wichita and surrounding areas has been great and should not be diminished.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Instead, we got unceremoniously dumped by OU in the first round. Tough night in Norman. Hoop was inconsolable and bawled in her dad’s arms. Poor girl. I attempted to offer whatever words of encouragement to her, approaching her and telling her that I was proud of her on multiple levels. Not that my words would mean much, but I had to try to offer some help.

I also met Doc for the first time in person that night after messaging him back and forth for quite awhile. Hard to believe that’s been almost 13 years.
                            Memorable evening for so many reasons.

Lots of tears flowed in McCasland Field House on that night I tell you. Not the least of which came from the inimitable one, Ashley An...no it's Sam Sanders!

(trying to use my best Chris Berman impersonation)

Comment

Eagle - In 6th and final year, how Brylee Kelly wants to make difference for Shocker volleyball

When Izzi Strand arrived at Wichita State, it didn’t take long for her to figure out who was the veteran on the volleyball team.

Thanks to an additional year granted by the pandemic, plus a redshirt year, Brylee Kelly is entering her sixth year in the Shocker volleyball program. The 23-year-old is affectionately known as the team’s “grandma.”

“You could just tell she has been here for a while, just by the way she holds herself and her knowledge of everything,” said Strand, a senior transfer from UC San Diego. “For me coming in as a new player, she has helped me so much.”

Kelly has proven herself through the years, as she has developed into Wichita State’s most potent weapon on the outside. She has earned first team all-conference accolades the past two seasons and was voted the Co-Player of the Year for this upcoming season by American Athletic Conference coaches in the preseason poll.

Entering her final season as a Shocker, a sense of finality has struck Kelly. She isn’t interested in stats, rather using her wisdom and experience to leave a lasting impact on the players around her.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Love the attitude Brylee is coming bring into the season:

Entering her final season as a Shocker, a sense of finality has struck Kelly. She isn’t interested in stats, rather using her wisdom and experience to leave a lasting impact on the players around her.

I’m at the point now where I need to be better for others,” Kelly said. “I know we have an older team, but there are some younger players who may need to learn a little bit more. I want to be the best teammate I can be. I know where my skills are and I’m still improving every day, but a skill I want to be better at is being better for my teammates.”

“These have been the best years of my life,” Kelly said. “I committed here when I was 16. Wichita has been a home for me. I never would have thought I would love Wichita this much and the people. And Lambo has been here by my side through it all. He has been worth everything. Coming here is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made, to be honest.”
                                Taylor E. apparently overlooked Annalie Helliste who along with libero Gabi Maas appear to be the top 2 littles. Katie G. did not play at all in the OU Exhibition game although not sure if she was injured or not. I think diminutive Reagan Anderson will play some but primarily a serving sub. But they comprise a pretty solid DS group.

The Shockers could feature their largest lineup in years with Strand (6-foot-1) setting and Weber (5-foot-11) playing the back row. Foster (6-4), Kelly (6-2), Rohling (6-3), Koehler (6-0), Morgan Stout (6-1) and Emerson Wilford (6-2) are all attackers with height on their side (along with the 6-2 Kelly). The “littles” will be sophomore Katie Galligan, TCU transfer Gabi Maas and freshman Reagan Anderson on the back row.
                                Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 24, 2023, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X