2023-24 Shocker Softball Offseason, Fall Season and Pre-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of happy Shocker softballers:

Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 20, 2023, 02:40 PM.

Comment

There had to be at least 15 tweets from different sources about Shocker Santa and those gifts.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I'm guessing about $250 - $300 worth of stuff.

The Seth Curry shoes go for $160 at Dicks. Not sure if these gold shoes are a special order or not. Doesn't Under Amour make the Curry shoes? If that's the case the Shocks probably get a deal.

Comment

They are an Under Armour shoe.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Go Shockers - Softball Unveils Challenging 2024 Schedule

Wichita State softball's road to a fourth straight NCAA Tournament appearance will feature a schedule that includes games against eight NCAA Tournament participants from a season ago, while also hosting the 2024 American Athletic Conference Championship for the first time as a member of the league.

Head Coach Kristi Bredbenner enters her 13th season at the helm of the softball program, and for the first time since 2018 will feature a roster that does not include All-American Sydney McKinney.

The season officially kicks off the weekend of Feb. 9-11 in Huntsville, Texas at the Bearkat Classic. Wichita State will face Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State and UNLV over three days. This is the second time in three seasons Wichita State will open its season at the Bearkat Classic.

Wichita State will then head south of the border to Mexico for the highly anticipated, and loaded, Puerto Vallarta College Challenge. The Shockers will face three NCAA tournament teams in consecutive days. Wichita State opens the tournament against Clemson on Feb. 14, before facing South Carolina, Auburn and UC Davis.

Rounding out the month of February is a road trip to Fayetteville where Wichita State will take on Illinois State twice, Arkansas twice and UT Arlington.

Wrapping up tournament play will be a visit to Lincoln, Neb., against Nebraska and Missouri.

Wichita State's first midweek matchup sends the Shockers down the road to Stillwater for the first of two dates with the Cowgirls. Wichita State plays at OSU on March 6 and then OSU returns the trip to Wichita on April 17.

The home opener is March 8-10 against new American Athletic Conference member, Florida Atlantic. Wichita State will also host UTSA (March 22-24), Tulsa (April 5-7), UAB (April 19-21) and Memphis (May 3-5) for weekend series'.

AAC road trips include East Carolina (March 15-17), Charlotte (March 28-30), South Florida (April 12-14) and North Texas (April 26-28).

Wichita State welcomes the three-time defending National Champion Oklahoma Sooners to Wilkins Stadium on March 26. One other midweek tilt features the Shockers at Kansas on April 9.

Wilkins Stadium and Wichita State host the 2024 American Athletic Conference Championship, May 8-11.

Fans can catch every game at Wilkins Stadium this season by purchasing 2024 season tickets at GoShockers.com/tickets or by calling the Ticket Office at 316-978-3267.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Definitely a solid and challenging schedule. I like it although the wins will be harder to come by overall, but should prepare the team for post-season play if they can get there.

27 games against AAC opponents with 3-games series against the other 9 schools that sponsor softball. 5 home series and 4 away. I suppose that will flip-flop from year-to-year.

Rice, SMU, Tulane and Temple do not sponsor softball. I can perhaps understand in Temple's case. A bit surprised that Rice, SMU and Tulane do not have softball programs.

Comment

Do season ticket holders get first crack at tickets for the AAC tournament?

Comment

Comment

My daughter bought me season tickets for my 60th birthday! I am stoked!!!!
                    Go Shocks!

Comment

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Extra Innings Softball - Wichita State's Kristi Bredbenner Shares Insights into Recruiting and the Transfer Portal

I had the privilege to stop in at Wichita State while they were hosting a camp. I had planned to just get an interview with a couple players but in true Coach B fashion she was gracious and went with the it! Not all coach will let you sit down during the very limited time they have for grabbing a quick bite to eat between the morning and afternoon session of their camp!

Today we cover her thoughts on the portal and how it’s changed so much of the landscape of college softball.

EIS : What you have seen positive about the portal since it’s started.

Coach B: I think there’s a time and a place for the portal. I think, unfortunately, circumstances change, coaches change. Maybe you were recruited by the hitting coach and they’re no longer there, or maybe the school decides to drop their major. I think the portal offers a second chance for something that really didn’t work out. And we’ve benefited from it. You know, Bailey Lang transferred here from Northern Iowa. And I felt like she flourished in our program. Zoe Jones transferred from Texas Tech, flourished in our program. Sometimes you get into a program maybe it’s not necessarily what you expected it to be. Maybe the personalities don’t match. Sydney McKinney transferred she was a mid -year transfer, her freshman year it was a great option for her. The portal, in my opinion, is awesome for that.

EIS: And what are some of the downsides of the portal?

Coach B: What it’s not awesome for is for kids to just be jumping in around, looking for a better opportunity instead of wanting to put in the work to get on the field. It’s for the player that want a guarantee that, hey, I didn’t get to play and maybe they don’t think I need to put in the work necessarily to get into the lineup so I can go to the portal and try to guarantee myself a playing time. There’s nothing wrong with that, I guess. But for me as a softball coach, I want the kids that want to put in the work. I want the kids that don’t think that when they walk on our field that they’re going to be a starter right off the bat. I want them to continue to work through their junior and senior year. At the end of the day, those are the kind of kids we must recruit. We’re not getting the blue chippers that can be a difference maker when they do transfer, and there’s a lot of those kids out there. But I think every circumstance is different. To me, the concerns that I have about the portal really have more to do with transferring more than once. You know, why are you transferring more than once? What isn’t making you happy? What are the reasons that some of this stuff’s happening?
                        Some pretty well thought out answers from Coach B, especially in regards to the dark side of the portal. We truly are blessed to have her running the ship.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Kristi has always been thoughtful, straightforward and generous with her time and comments.

Comment

Shockers Picked to Repeat as American Athletic Conference Champions

Having won two of the last three American Athletic Conference regular season championships, Wichita State softball was picked to win it again in 2024.

2024 American Athletic Conference Preseason Softball Coaches' Poll
                              Team (First-Place Votes) Pts.
                              1. Wichita State (8) 80
                              2. Charlotte (1) 70
                              3. North Texas 66
                              4. South Florida 55
                              5. Florida Atlantic 47
                              6. UAB 40
                              7. Tulsa 37
                              8. East Carolina 29
                              9. Memphis 14
                              10. UTSA 12

Comment

1 - Wichita State (8) 80
                                2 - Charlotte (1) 70
                                3 - North Texas (1) 66
                                4 - South Florida 55
                                5 - Florida Atlantic 47
                                6 - UAB 40
                                7 - Tulsa 37
                                8 - East Carolina 29
                                9 - Memphis 14
                                10 - UTSA 12
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X