Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, my bad. Thanks!

Comment

Sunflower - Sami Hood strives to improve her leadership skills as shortstop

The sophomore shortstop received several honors during he first season at Wichita State. In 2023, she was named the American Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year, an Easton/NFCA All-America Scholar Athlete, and part of the all-rookie team.

This season, the starter will transition into shortstop. As a freshman second base, Hood spent a lot of time on the pitch with previous shortstop Sydney McKinney, who was named the NFCA Frist Team All-American and was the top pick in the Athletes Unlimited College Softball draft in 2023.

"Filling in the shoes of Sydney McKinney is a pretty big deal, but she got an entire year working with her," head coach Kristi Bredbenner said. "She was an elite defensive player (in high school), could crust the ball ... and playing against elite athletes just like herself, she has to realize there's still more gas in the tank and potential for her."

As she follows her predecessor, Hood hopes to grow into the "leader role" that comes with playing shortstop.

"You have to tell them where to go, and you have a lot more responsibility at short than you do at second," Hood said. "So I just want to figure out how to become more of a leader and speak and be more vocal on the field."

Hood said remembering her teammates' encouragement from last season has helped her support the freshmen during their off moments.

"If they were to struggle or have a bad practice, they'd come to me, and I would just go back to those memories of when I was a freshman, how would my teammates treat me," Hood said. "Being able to encourage them and tell them, 'Everything's going to be okay... We're all by your side, and we're behind you.'"

The softball team's camaraderie extends off the diamond, with Hood finding a "family away from home" among her fellow players.
      I'm hoping to see a step forward at the plate this year from Sami. It seems like she slowly picked it up later in the year but if she can find some consistency at the plate she has a ton of potential and could be a real force with her stellar defense. Not saying she'll ever be Syd, but she can be a pretty damn good Sami.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

That was a really good Roundhouse podcast with AHC Elizabeth Economon. With the addition of Courtney Oliver-Elkins, the most experienced and competent pitching coach the Shocks have had in HCKB's 13-year tenure and perhaps for a long time before that, the Shocks at this point have perhaps the best overall softball coaching staff in school history.

I think Coach B and Coach E have established they they can coach up the hitters. I am really looking forward to seeing what kind of difference Coach O might have with our pitching, including our recruiting of pitchers.

We heard from Coach O on a RH Podcast in early August but it would be interesting to hear from her again now that she has had time to actually work with the Shockers pitching staff.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 8, 2024, 02:47 PM.

Comment

In the Circle - Fastpitch News Podcasts

We’ve Made It to Opening Day

HCKB leads off this episode. Good listen. About a 45 minute interview.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 8, 2024, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Go Shockers - RH: Transfer Helps Shockers Rebuild Lineup Opening Weekend

In early July, CC Wong needed a place to finish college softball. Wichita State needed a left-handed hitter.

Wong, transferring from Grand Canyon University, knew about WSU's recent success. WSU associate head coach Elizabeth Economon knew about Wong through a conversation with Chris Berry, Wong's coach at McLennan (Texas) Community College.

"I jumped out of bed when I got the text," Wong said. "I didn't think I would get the opportunity to be at a school like this. Really cool."

With the Shockers opening the season on Friday in the Bearkat Classic in Huntsville, Texas, Wong is locked in as a top-of-the-order hitter and third baseman. The adjustment to a new school went smoothly after a difficult season at Grand Canyon.

"Her personality meshes with our culture," first baseman Caroline Tallent said. "We're just a bunch of weirdos and we like to have fun, but we know when to be serious."

The Shockers open 2024 vs. Stephen F. Austin at 10:30 a.m. Friday in Huntsville, Texas in the Bearkat Classic. They also play Sam Houston and UNLV over the weekend. WSU, the preseason favorite in the American Athletic Conference, went 44-12 last season.

Wong, from Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, earned NJCAA Division I Co-Player of the Year honors in 2022 at McLennan. She hit a nation-leading .580 with 27 home runs and 91 RBI. As a freshman, she hit .481 with 17 home runs and 20 doubles.

She started 18 games last spring at Grand Canyon, hitting .290 with five doubles. After one season, she entered the transfer portal. Wichita State offered a fresh start.

"They didn't care what my batting percentage was at GCU," she said. "They said 'You're a new person here. Work hard.'"

That fresh start helped return a sense of fun to the sport for Wong at practices with coach Kristi Bredbenner and Economon.

"Being able to swing the bat and not be afraid – whatever happens, happens," Wong said. "That was something that I kind of lost. Coach B is over there smiling away, like 'You got it.' Coach E is behind you and she's saying, 'You got it.'"

Shocker coaches hope to add Wong to the list of transfers who found a home at WSU. In recent seasons, players such as Bailey Lange, Sydney McKinney, Erin McDonald and Zoe Jones played well in a new place.

"When kids transfer here, they excel because they're looking for a place where they can be themselves, but also find a really positive environment where they can grow and develop," Bredbenner said. "She's thriving because she seems very, very happy."

Wong's development is important as the Shockers reshape their lineup after the departure of McKinney, an All-American shortstop, Jones and Lauren Mills. Lauren Lucas, starting centerfielder and third-team All-American in 2023, is out with an injury.

"She's a wicked athlete," Tallent said. "She can crush the ball, but she can also hit it chalk to chalk. And she's really strong at third."

Shocker coaches expect Wong to hit first or second in the order and help centerfielder Addison Barnard put pressure on pitchers immediately.

"(Wong's) been an absolute blessing," Bredbenner said. "She barrels the ball up. She's getting on base. She's been a huge find."

Wong credits a challenging fall with helping her Shocker career to a strong start. Coaches set the pitching machines at 70 mph to prepare for top NCAA Division I arms. They spent studied video of pitchers from they faced in the fall against teams such as Kansas, Oklahoma State and South Dakota State.

The hard-throwing machine tested Wong early in the fall.

"As we got comfortable with it and got through it all, it got so much easier," she said. "We prepare a lot for who we're going to face and that helps a lot with the mental part. It showed me I can hit this, I can hit 70 (mph). We do the work and we see the outcomes."

Wong lives with Tallent and they bonded over softball and cooking. Wong loves Tallent's cinnamon rolls. Wong makes a delicious sushi bake and served enchilada soup for the team.

"She made prime rib the other night," Tallent said. "She makes all kinds of stuff."

Wong devotes much of her cooking time to preparing a week's worth of meals in advance to help manage her busy schedule. Sunday night is usually devoted to meal prep. Sushi bake - layers of rice, seafood, seaweed, Kewpie mayo and sriracha – is a favorite.

"I feel stress-free when I'm at the grocery store buying things," she said. "It's awesome. I love cooking."

A third base, in the batter's box and in the kitchen, Wong's fresh start is off to a good start.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Wong, from Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, earned NJCAA Division I Co-Player of the Year honors in 2022 at McLennan. She hit a nation-leading .580 with 27 home runs and 91 RBI. As a freshman, she hit .481 with 17 home runs and 20 doubles.
                Granted it was Juco but still those are pretty impressive numbers. Even more so when you consider the size and shape of the package delivering those numbers. Certainly, has the potential to be a real fan favorite this year if she can return to even the next area code of her Juco numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  We heard from Coach O on a RH Podcast in early August but it would be interesting to hear from her again now that she has had time to actually work with the Shockers pitching staff.
                  The RH with Alison and Alex has comments about working with their new pitching coach.

Comment

Working...
                  X