2023 NCAA Softball Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

It actually was because of a coin flip. Both teams were home once so they go to the coin flip in NCAA play.
    I am confident this is not true (by looking at the way the brackets are playing this weekend), but I could be wrong. I will try to find the procedure in some NCAA Softball Manual or another. Feel free to do the same.

EDIT: If two teams have been both home team and visiting team an equal number of times, and if the two teams previously met, the visitor in the initial game shall be the home team in the second game.

Both teams had been Home once and Visitor once.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; May 21, 2023, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

I am confident this is not true (by looking at the way the brackets are playing this weekend), but I could be wrong. I will try to find the procedure in some NCAA Softball Manual or another. Feel free to do the same.

EDIT: If two teams have been both home team and visiting team an equal number of times, and if the two teams previously met, the visitor in the initial game shall be the home team in the second game.

Both teams had been Home once and Visitor once.
      Thanks. It used to go to coin flip which was pretty dumb.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Is this the year a P5 team makes a serious $$$ offer for the WSU coach?
        She’s got to be getting torqued at not hosting which is an important component in winning regionals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
          Is this the year a P5 team makes a serious $$$ offer for the WSU coach?
          She’s got to be getting torqued at not hosting which is an important component in winning regionals.
          They didn't host because they got embarrassed by KU and Tulsa to end the year. If they won those games and still didn't host, then you definitely have a point.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

They didn't host because they got embarrassed by KU and Tulsa to end the year. If they won those games and still didn't host, then you definitely have a point.
            They did not host because their RPI was never going to be high enough to be in the serious conversations.

Comment

• Super Regionals

1 Oklahoma v 16 Clemson

15 Utah v San Diego State
              2 UCLA went 0-2 in this Regional, a Regional they hosted.

3 Florida State v 14 Georgia
              The Seminoles threw a perfect game in the If game, a 1-0 win over South Carolina, to win their Regional.

4 Tennessee v 13 Texas

5 Alabama v 12 Northwestern

6 Oklahoma State v Oregon

7 Washington v Louisiana
              The Huskies scored seven runs in the top of the seventh of their If game to win their Regional, defeating McNeese State, 7-6.

8 Duke v 9 Stanford
              Harvard was at the Fayetteville Regional in this tournament. :)

Host school listed first.
              Last edited by flyingMoose; May 21, 2023, 09:37 PM.

Comment

They did not host because their RPI was never going to be high enough to be in the serious conversations.
                Before losing to KU, they were Top 20. Maybe even 18ish. A win at Top 50ish KU and two wins in the conference tournament would have put them REALLY close at a Top 16 RPI.
                78-65

Comment

Analysts said they would’ve hosted had they taken care of business.

Do they strictly select and seed the tournament based on the top 16 of the RPI? I doubt it.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• The compounded problem is geography. OU, Arkansas, and OSU and Wichita all within 4 hours drive of each other and then throw Texas in the mix as well as another team in the central corridor. Who would you turn down out of all those programs to award a regional to us? It won’t happen until one of them (it won’t be OU) has a mediocre year, like barely over .500 mediocre and we have a similar or better season than we just had. Someone like Northwestern is poised to host for a long stretch if they continue to have great teams. Same could be said for Utah as well.

All of that conjecture aside, Bredbenner gets everything she has worked so hard to deserve here and is appreciated greatly by the university and the community. The stadium renovations and new facilities will put our program in pretty exclusive territory. The non P-5 teams that find there way into a Super Regional usually do it carried by the strength of a dominant pitcher which keeps them in any game and out of losers brackets not on their ability to hit. I hope that is what we are using our recruiting cache and other incentives to find.

Comment

Super Regionals

1 Oklahoma v 16 Clemson

15 Utah v San Diego State
                      2 UCLA went 0-2 in this Regional, a Regional they hosted.

3 Florida State v 14 Georgia
                      The Seminoles threw a perfect game in the If game, a 1-0 win over South Carolina, to win their Regional.

4 Tennessee v 13 Texas

5 Alabama v 12 Northwestern

6 Oklahoma State v Oregon

7 Washington v Louisiana
                      The Huskies scored seven runs in the top of the seventh of their If game to win their Regional, defeating McNeese State, 7-6.

8 Duke v 9 Stanford
                      Harvard was at the Fayetteville Regional in this tournament. :)

Host school listed first.
                      Hurts knowing we could've hosted a Super
                      Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Analysts said they would’ve hosted had they taken care of business.

Do they strictly select and seed the tournament based on the top 16 of the RPI? I doubt it.
                        The numbers are RPI, not rankings of some sort, except where the seed is noted.

11 Louisiana did not host and was sent to 9 LSU (Seed 9) and won the Regional.

16 Central Arkansas did not host and was sent to 12 Alabama (Seed 5) and went 1-2 as Seed 2 in the pod.

17 Georgia (Seed 14) hosted and won the Regional.

18 Utah (Seed 15) hosted and won the Regional.

The Shockers were at 23.

There may be a softball geek site somewhere that does RPI "what-ifs." What if the Shockers had played Oklahoma, beat Kansas, and beat Tulsa? And beat UCF? I am not aware of one, but such a scenario might be of interest. The speculation of talking heads does not interest me much.

So it goes.

Comment

• According to your RPI update post a few weeks back, prior to the KU loss the Shox were at 18 and very much in the conversation to potentially host. I don't know what the RPI would have done had we beat KU and Tulsa and then UCF, but we'd have been in the conversation. After the loss to KU we fell to 20th I believe and then 23 after the loss to Tulsa.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• As long as OState, OU and Arkansas’ RPI are better than ours, I don’t see us hosting. Such is geography and it affects other women’s sports and baseball postseason as well. Like Moose said, if we had won out with OSU reeling, that may have changed but I don’t dive deep into the what ifs of the RPI system like some of you.

Edit: OSU’s RPI was 5, we never would have caught them. The best bet would’ve been Arkansas at 14 as of Selection Sunday.
                            Last edited by shoxlax; May 22, 2023, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• You’re telling me geography is in play when like 10 SEC schools hosted? I think they reward those that were worthy and just match things up accordingly.

We probably should’ve been sent to Fayetteville. That would’ve been a better situation IMO, although if we couldn’t even get through Nebraska, nothing really mattered at that point anyways.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I'll repeat my statement before the regionals started: Had we taken care of business and beaten KWho and Tulsa, we may have had a much higher opportunity to be placed in the Fayetteville regional and an easier road to the next round.

I do not believe hosting was ever on the table (for this year). After our renovations, the opportunity may at least be there.

Comment

Working...
                                X