2023 NCAA Softball Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockerman View Post

It's a crappy loss but it's not even in the top 10. We weren't beating OSU twice tomorrow either way.
    If it’s not top 10, it’s only because it’s softball and not one of the major sports. This was the best team in program history, which had realistic visions of going to Oklahoma City. Not only to go 1-2 this weekend but to lose like this in the final game is awful.
    78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
      Lousy end to a great season. We peaked at the wrong time.
      Seems pretty standard

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Would have been nice to have had the chance, but I agree that the chances of beating OSU twice tomorrow were extremely slim.

I think for now getting to a regional and winning 1 or 2 games is what we can reaonably aspire to as a program.

When you look at the arms OSU and teams of that quality stockpile, your statement is so right on target. A team would really have to catch lightning in a bottle like James Madison did to even get to a super regional.

Comment

• I’m not an expert on anything sports like some of you claim to be but that one was on the coach. Left the starter in to long and then left the other pitcher in to long. You have three to use and it was clear that both were worn out.

That being said it was a great year, Syd will be missed but the program is just getting started.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Thankfully, we have some very talented underclassmen. It's impossible to replace Syd .. but the drop off hopefully wont be massive.

Also fitting that Syd goes out with a 4-4 night with 2 doubles and 3 runs
            We are also losing two good bats in Zoe and Lolo. Hopefully, Taylor and Sami make big strides next year at the plate. It would be nice to see Addie return to her previous glory but I'm not counting on that. This year's version of Addie was still pretty good.

The pitching does return in tact for next year. Should keep us competitive in the AAC. Not convinced it's good enough to carry us very far in the post-season.

It was a fitting finish to Syd's career. Would have liked to see her have a chance to move up to 4th on the all-time hit list. But 5th is pretty amazing and I think she is 3rd all-time in hits per game.

As much as I lover her hitting, I think I liked her defensive prowess every bit as much. Helluva player.

Comment

We are also losing two good bats in Zoe and Lolo. Hopefully, Taylor and Sami make big strides next year at the plate. It would be nice to see Addie return to her previous glory but I'm not counting on that. This year's version of Addie was still pretty good.

The pitching does return in tact for next year. Should keep us competitive in the AAC. Not convinced it's good enough to carry us very far in the post-season.

It was a fitting finish to Syd's career. Would have liked to see her have a chance to move up to 4th on the all-time hit list. But 5th is pretty amazing and I think she is 3rd all-time in hits per game.

As much as I lover her hitting, I think I liked her defensive prowess every bit as much. Helluva player.
              One short of 4th, I believe?

78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

If it’s not top 10, it’s only because it’s softball and not one of the major sports. This was the best team in program history, which had realistic visions of going to Oklahoma City. Not only to go 1-2 this weekend but to lose like this in the final game is awful.
                Again, no. I've watched more softball this year then the rest of my life combined. Today's loss was tough but after looking anemic against OSU earlier today combined with our late season slump, the odds were deeply stacked against us to advance out of the regional.

Comment

Not sure who our lead off hitter will be. Perhaps a portal transfer?

Comment

Not sure who our lead off hitter will be. Perhaps a portal transfer?
                    One possibility mitght Addie's younger sister Avery whose recruiting write-up emphasized her speed as her strong point. Athough that might be a big ask for a freshman.

Having completed her prep career with a .597 batting average, an OPS of 1.500, OBP of .656 and 17 steals as a senior, she will bring a much-needed element of speed to the program. Barnard is a three-time First Team All-State and First Team All-Conference selection.

Bredbenner on Avery Barnard: "Avery Barnard will provide much-needed speed to the lineup. She's not quite as powerful with the bat as her sister Addie, but she more than makes up for that with her speed. Avery is very athletic and will wreak havoc on the bases and cover substantial ground in the outfield."

Here is the full list of the 6 incoming freshman: https://goshockers.com/news/2022/11/...gning-day.aspx

Interestingly, despite returning her top 3 pitchers next year HCKB has also signed 2 incoming freshman pitchers. One immediate difference is that Alex, Lauren and Alison are 5-5, 5-7 and 5-4 with Alex and Alison relying mostly on spinning the ball. The two incoming pithcers are 5-10 and 5-11 so perhaps they may bring more of a power pitching style although that is hard to predict. Those two recruites are:

Chloe Barber | Lino Lakes, Minn. | 5'11" | Pitcher
                    Out of White Bear Lake Area High School in Minnesota, Barber is coming off a stellar prep season where she logged a 20-5 record in the circle to go with a 1.41 ERA and 295 strikeouts in 164 innings. At the plate, Barber added 14 home runs, 43 RBI and a batting average of .418.

Bredbenner on Chloe Barber: "Chloe was a late addition to our 2023 class but one that we are very excited about. She is a power pitcher with a nice offspeed pitch, and understands how to spot the ball with natural movement on her pitches. If Chloe can command her pitches and get stronger throughout her time here, I think she will be part of a very solid pitching staff at Wichita State."

Erica Schertz | Miami, Okla. | 5'10" | Pitcher
                    Erica Schertz is a four-year letterwinner, four-year varsity starter and four-time captain. In the circle, Schertz racked up 248 strikeouts as a senior to go with a 1.80 ERA and a 25-7 record. Schertz also gave opposing pitchers nightmares at the plate. She hit .522 with 11 home runs and 55 RBI as a senior. Her career numbers are straight out of a video game. Schertz compiled 114 wins in the circle behind a 1.40 ERA and 1,070 strikeouts. Offensively, she hit .467 for her career to go with 35 home runs and 182 RBI.

Bredbenner on Erica Schertz: "Erica Schertz is a pitcher with natural movement and great speed. She spins the ball very well and has competed against some top-level travel ball teams. The best thing about Erica is her potential. There are a lot of things that Erica does right, but getting her in the weight room and with Coach (Presley) Bell will allow her to use her great frame and elevate that potential."

Not sure either of the pitchers will be ready for primetime next year, but hopefully they will develop into solid additions to the pitching staff down the line,

They are also bringing in a player that perhaps can replace Zoe at 1st base or Lolo as DH:

Sydney Zenon | Haslet, Texas | 5'9" | Infielder
                    Sydney Zenon will bring her big bat from the Lone Star State and Northwest High School. She is a four-year letterwinner and starter. Zenon completed her most recent season with a .401 average, seven home runs and 45 RBI.

Bredbenner on Sydney Zenon: "Sydney Zenon has the potential to be a monster hitter in our lineup. She hits the ball hard and still has a lot of her body to get into the pitch. If we can develop a full body swing, she will be a great replacement for Lauren Mills in our lineup. Her 5'9" frame makes her a likely candidate for reps at first base."

Looks like the recruiting class also inlcludes the heir apparent to Lainee Brown at catcher and an athletic 5-10 utility player with a high ceiling.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 21, 2023, 12:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                      Random.. buy why is Nebraska the home team in this game?
                      Way late to the party, but because the Shockers were the home team when they played Friday.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

Way late to the party, but because the Shockers were the home team when they played Friday.
                        It actually was because of a coin flip. Both teams were home once so they go to the coin flip in NCAA play.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Whoever’s bright idea to change the batting mechanics of an already amazing bat after her freshman year should be fired or given a paycut.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            Whoever’s bright idea to change the batting mechanics of an already amazing bat after her freshman year should be fired or given a paycut.
                            Agree… it’s very puzzling. What was her early season injury?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                              Whoever’s bright idea to change the batting mechanics of an already amazing bat after her freshman year should be fired or given a paycut.
                              Does anyone know the story behind that?

Comment

Does anyone know the story behind that?
                                It was mentioned on one broadcast that they thought she struggled with speed pitchers, which are more common in the postseason. They decided to try to quicken her mechanics to help. It obviously hurt more than it helped this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X