Volleyball Offseason/Roster Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Unless I'm missing something (and that's certainly possible) given the fanfare Kayce has received graduating, Shannon's twitter tenses, and now the fact that Kayce isn't listed on the 2023 roster, I think it's safe to assume that Kayce is moving on with her life after volleyball career and the keys to the Shocker van are squarely in Izzi's pocket for the fall 2023 season.

I have no doubt Kayce's career, whatever direction it may take, will be incredibly successful. Thank you Kayce!
    That would seem like an accurate assumption and assessment. And that pretty much assures the Shocks will run a 5-1 in the fall.

If so, a big thanks to Kayce and congratulations on a solid volleyball career and an outstanding peformance as a sutdent-athlete.

Comment

Should we be getting next year's schedule soon?

K-State announced their regular season schedule for next year. They are playing newcomers Memphis, Houston, and UCF only once, but the other Big 12 teams on their schedule will be played twice on the same weekend, like last year. They also listed the preseason tournaments they are playing in, but I didn't see a list of teams for those tournaments.

Has anyone seen how they are dividing up the conference (east-west), if they do that this year? I don't think there is enough weekends in the season to play all the teams twice. I wonder if there will be a team that we don't play next year or a few that we only play once. I bet we still don't get a conference tournament.

Comment

RH: Podcast With Chris Lamb On Shocker Volleyball

Listen to the podcast

Wichita State volleyball coach Chris Lamb updates fans on spring practices, how his newcomers are fitting in, Morgan Stout's busy spring in the middle and why he compares scheduling to baking an apple pie with the proper ingredients.

Lamb is entering his 24th season at Wichita State in the fall of 2023.

The Shockers played in NIVC last season and finished with an 18-13 record, 13-6 in the American Athletic Conference, and a No. 60 ranking in the NCAA's RPI. Middle Natalie Foster and left Brylee Kelly earned all-conference honors with right-side Sophia Rohling on the second team.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Very interesting back story regarding Kayce' transfer to Washington. Kayce has one year of eligibility remaining but will receive 4 semesters of her schooling paid for. Apparently, the first year will be under a volleyball scholarship and the 2nd year on an academic grant. Lambo said two other schools, Creighton and Santa Clara, made the same offer. He said he needs to look into that because he currently does not have that at his disposal.

The catalyst for bringing Izzi Strand in was because Hailey Plugge transferred because she wanted more playing time. Lambo would not promise Kayce she would be the starter at setter (as and Kayce had some good options. That elevated redshirt freshman Lauren Wheeler in the depth chart. He said Lauren was improving and developing but he always likes having 3 setters on the roster so he is looking for a 3rd setter.

I had not heard much about the Spring scrimmages in Kansas City but the Shockers actually split the team into 2 squads. One team split with UMKC, and beat Rockhurst, Arkansas and UNI. The other team beat Missouri, Arkansas, UNI and Tulsa.

Spoke very glowingly about the improvement with his Libero/DS group: Gabi, Annalie, Katie and Kylie. He also mentioned the Shocks have a killer L/DS coming in the fall out of high school, a Kansas kid. I guess that would be Reagan Anderson out St. Thomas Aquinas in Overland Park.

Generally, seemed pretty upbeat about how the spring went.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 26, 2023, 11:20 AM.

Comment

That was both an entertaining and informative 45 minutes or so from Lambo. He rarely, if ever, disappoints.

Comment

That was both an entertaining and informative 45 minutes or so from Lambo. He rarely, if ever, disappoints.
              I got a chuckle out his comparing making a weak schedule to build wins the equivalent to making apple pie without the apples.

Comment

Rarely disappoints?!? You must be dreaming back a handful of years. Hopefully he is gaining some traction and momentum.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                  Rarely disappoints?!? You must be dreaming back a handful of years. Hopefully he is gaining some traction and momentum.
                  Not to speak for Doc, but I believe he’s saying, Lambo, “rarely’ if ever, disappoints” in an interview.
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I was hoping that Kayce being removed from the roster was for something positive, like an offer of a dream job, and not something negative, like an injury. I don't blame her at all for taking that deal. It is a shame that one of the top 10 in assists didn't get a senior day. Wish her the best.

I have not been keeping up with any player transfers, so I have no clue who Coach might be able to land as a third setter.

Hope Morgan Stout really steps up this year. She really gets fired up when she is playing well. It seems like she is too hard on herself when she's not. Lamb made it sound like Maddie Wilson is pushing for a starting spot.

If Izzi clicks with her hitters, especially the middles, I think the Shockers will be pretty good this year, especially in conference play. I'm pretty sure that Rice has the best volleyball program of the incoming schools, although North Texas has also been pretty good. Will be interesting how 14 teams (really 13 teams, you don't play yourself) are going to fit into 10 weeks.

If Gabi is likely to be the libero, I wonder which DS will be subbing in for Sophia after she gets done serving.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      ... the first year will be under a volleyball scholarship and the 2nd year on an academic grant. Lambo said two other schools, Creighton and Santa Clara, made the same offer. He said he needs to look into that because he currently does not have that at his disposal.
                      What?! Nobody either on the coaching side or the admin side of the house knew about this option? Or did he say the Shockers just have yet to add that possibility?

Comment

• Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

What?! Nobody either on the coaching side or the admin side of the house knew about this option? Or did he say the Shockers just have yet to add that possibility?..
                        I would have to back and listen again but I think he said that was an option he did not have available. Now whehter it's available and he just did not reaiize it don't know more did Lambo go into much detail on exactly how Kayce's deal was stuctured.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I would have to back and listen again but I think he said that was an option he did not have available. Now whehter it's available and he just did not reaiize it don't know more did Lambo go into much detail on exactly how Kayce's deal was stuctured.

The annual we are better round house session. I did some work last season on replaying the circular round house interviews with Lambo. Always the same cycle just different players in rotation for the sound bites. Sounds like maybe “we got a gal” back there on defense!

This season Chris also went back to the tried and true “I teach others how to schedule for the RPI” talk. Don’t worry about the wins!!

Whatever, I get it, there is only so much to discuss as a college coach who hasn’t won much in years.

A couple real items of note in there.

1. What does Chris mean the transfer portal was not available to him until 3 years after kids in his program were using it to leave? Really, what does that mean? Who at WSU was preventing the vball program from using the portal? And why?

2. Why do other schools have the ability to make offers that Chris does not even know exist!? How/why is Lambo always finding out third hand about such options?

Because

3. He seems to always be lecturing about the RPI and how important it is for him to schedule tough because it pays off. If I was another coach listening to Chris, I would ask why it hasn’t actually worked for WSU recently?

Above RPI, the best path to the tournament is to win your conference. Apple pie…blah blah. If the NCAA tournament is the goal your recipe is not passing the taste test.

If 20 wins is not important to Chris, why is it literally the second sentence in his WSU bio?

WSU should certainly be better this year. On paper they look better. On the court, we will see.

Please no more excuses after this year!
                          Last edited by jimshocker; May 30, 2023, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• ADKS’s recent trigger on MBB, WBB, and now BB must be making Lamb0 nervous. Yet Lamb is still hanging on…
                            Running out of time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                              ADKS’s recent trigger on MBB, WBB, and now BB must be making Lamb0 nervous. Yet Lamb is still hanging on…
                              Running out of time.
                              I don't know about that.

IB had to go. Team was under performing and he'd lost the fans.

Adams technically left on her own. She may or may not have been let go this year but she wasn't getting an extension so she took the guarantee at UTEP.

Hibbs was an interim and there are never guarantees there.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I don't know about that.

IB had to go. Team was under performing and he'd lost the fans.

Adams technically left on her own. She may or may not have been let go this year but she wasn't getting an extension so she took the guarantee at UTEP.

Hibbs was an interim and there are never guarantees there.
                                CL past 4-5 years is no better than IB
                                Results just are not there.

Comment

Working...
                                X