It's time for a new Softball stadium...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Not sure that you're referring to anything different than I am. The new outdoor pickleball/basketball courts I'm referring to are next to the Heskett on the east side. Those will be gone with the softball stadium expansion/renovation.
    I was just saying that those activities can be done in other places (YMCA/Heskett). The softball program needs the upgrades and cannot really put them anywhere else.

Comment

I wouldn't think it would be overly complicated to drop some pickle ball courts somewhere else if necessary. They definitely don't trump the need for softball facilities expansion.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by barry1305 View Post

I was just saying that those activities can be done in other places (YMCA/Heskett). The softball program needs the upgrades and cannot really put them anywhere else.
        Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        I wouldn't think it would be overly complicated to drop some pickle ball courts somewhere else if necessary. They definitely don't trump the need for softball facilities expansion.
        To be clear, I don't play pickleball and my wife has never played there. The reason for my post had to do with the short-sightedness of someone to allocate (waste) funds on something that will now be gone in two years or less. I realize there was probably no actual plan that it would have a short life span, but one had to, at the least, think the possibility of a renovated softball stadium would need that space. Don't know if Boatwrong was involved in either.

The design of the courts, to me, was very well thought out. It also allowed the Heskett/YMCA to monitor and supply paddles and balls to students and Y members. Elsewhere on the campus may not. My feeling is it will not be replaced elsewhere for that reason. Don't know how busy the tennis courts are and I don't know if there are any plans south of the "The Flats" that might work. Of course, that would take more funds.

Comment

Although the expansion is phased, HCKB noted in her recent podcast with Sully that having an indoor practice facility was highest on her list. Yep, right on those new courts.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            This is great, UNLESS it comes at the expense of baseball and basketball.
            Baseball has now settled into a hole that it may never get out of. We are who we are now. Men's basketball has been and will always be the driver here though.

The softball program likely has the national player of the year on the roster, has a chance at hosting a regional, and has been the only ranked non P5 all year. We should be doing everything possible to keep coach B and should do everything we can to grow the program.

Comment

Nothing personal, but that's simply naĂŻve and short sighted.

I'm all for supporting softball. I'm a season ticket holder and a member of the on deck club. What HCKB has done here is nothing short of remarkable. They absolutely deserve the support and if any booster chooses to give over basketball and baseball then good for them (or you).

But if baseball wins 10 straight we'll get more fans and support than softball will ever get. It's just factual. They've had a few sell outs, but a full 900 in the stands? Not so much.

The dollars cannot be shifted away from basketball, period. And shouldn't from baseball. Just show me the alumni support in dollars from both. The difference will be absolutely staggering.

Syd, Addie and all the others are a phenomenal story. This too shall pass, but even if it doesn't, and they keep getting better, it will never rise to the level of the 2 programs that are the bell cow.

Comment

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Nikki Epley.....**** I'm old.

Comment

I was reading back through the Wilkins plans and I'm not sure I read it correctly back when it first came out.

Wichita State will embark on a $7.3 million Phase 1 renovation of Wilkins Stadium, home of Shocker softball, that will be made possible in part through a substantial $1.1 million estate gift from long-time Shocker athletic supporter and fan Linda Parke and a generous $100,000 gift from Jeanie and Ricky Brotherton.
                    Initially, I was thinking this was just the beginning, but reading this again seems to indicate that the $7.3M is already raised. Or am I just out of it. Phase 1 was to include the new team facility and indoor practice facility. So are we there and that will be beginning or was I right initially and the donations at the beginning of the year were just going towards Phase 1 and we're getting there? Phase 1 is the bulk of the costs on its own, and the other three phases are smaller.

If we're ready to move on Phase 1 that would be huge.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I take it as the $1.1 million is the largest gift to date towards the $7.3 million. Others may have knowledge rather than an impression.

My recollection is that the improved Visitor dugout was a requirement for the Shockers to host the AAC Tournament next year. The current "replacement" of the field may also be part of that.

Comment

Why don’t they turf the infield too? That is what saves the maintenance and mitigates wet weather.

Comment

NM

Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 2, 2023, 05:10 PM.

Comment

I like that they're actively trying to keep this in the public eye and hopefully it pays off with more donations towards the future projects. I imagine that the new facilities will go a long way in helping recruiting and retention for the program.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X