No announcement yet.

2022-23 Softball Offseason/Preseason Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just landed Arkansas RHP transfer Lauren Howell. Two very forgettable seasons with the hogs (hey, they’re pretty good), but was ranked #15 pitcher in her class coming out of high school.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
      Just landed Arkansas RHP transfer Lauren Howell. Two very forgettable seasons with the hogs (hey, they’re pretty good), but was ranked #15 pitcher in her class coming out of high school.
      Arkansas
      2022 5 Innings pitched
      2021 22 Innings pitched

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
        Arkansas
        2022 5 Innings pitched
        2021 22 Innings pitched
        Gave up 33 hits, 13 walks and 23 earned runs in her 27.1 innings spread over 13 games in her 2 seasons at Arkansas. That's an ERA of 5.89 and a WHIP of 1.68.

Pretty highly rated out of high school but that has not translated to much success at the college level.

She did pitch in the Shockers game at Arkansas on February 19th. She came on in the 5th inning with runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs and Arkansas leading 7-1. Sydney greeted her with a triple driving in both inherited runners and Addison singled to score Sydney making it 7-4. Arkansas brought in Mary Haff who retired all 9 Shockers she faced striking out 6 of them to finish off the 7-4 win.

Hard to get very excited about this get but we will see. Maybe a new opportunity with a legit shot at getting innings (if she is effective) will reinvigorate her.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 1, 2022, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Gave up 33 hits, 13 walks and 23 earned runs in her 27.1 innings spread over 13 games in her 2 seasons at Arkansas. That's an ERA of 5.89 and a WHIP of 1.68.

Pretty highly rated out of high school but that has not translated to much success at the college level.

She did pitch in the Shockers game at Arkansas on February 19th. She came on in the 5th inning with runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs and Arkansas leading 7-1. Sydney greeted her with a triple driving in both inherited runners and Addison singled to score Sydney making it 7-4. Arkansas brought in Mary Haff who retired all 9 Shockers she faced striking out 6 of them to finish off the 7-4 win.

Hard to get very excited about this get but we will see. Maybe a new opportunity with a legit shot at getting innings (if she is effective) will reinvigorate her.
          It would have been nice to get a highly rated pitcher (high school), who had at least some intermittent success at a school like Arkansas to transfer. But this girl probably will at least help.

Comment

True, there is not anything to get excited about here. Hopefully, the coaches see some things they can work on to help her improve. As noted, a chance for a new beginning may be what she needs.

Comment

I don't think that the numbers really tell you much of anything given how few innings she pitched. It's just way too small a sample size for things like ERA to mean much. The real question is whether there are physical tools there with real potential (and, coming out of high school, there at least theoretically were).

The clear objection to throwing out the stats based on small sample size would be to ask why she didn't get many opportunities in the first place. Even here, I think the situation makes it hard to tell much. Frankly, she didn't get innings because Arkansas had lots of good options. Not being better than their other options is not the same as being better than our other options.

Here is a comparison of the top 3 pitchers for Arkansas (by innings) for the two seasons Howell was there and the top 3 pitchers for WSU last year.

Arkansas 202
              ERA Innings SO BB
              Delce 2.12 151.2 188 35
              Haff 2.69 148.1 154 34
              Bloom 3.81 49.2 18 44
              *Best era for a pitcher with fewer innings was 2.69

Arkansas 2021
              ERA Innings SO BB
              Storms 1.42 83.2 62 14
              Haff 1.55 198.1 198 39
              Bloom 4.01 57.2 51 20
              *Best era for a pitcher with fewer innings was 2.62

Wichita State 2022
              ERA Innings SO BB
              Cooper 3.72 64.0 37 36
              Bingham 4.15 113.0 63 42
              McDonald 4.36 104.1 85 63
              *Best era for a pitcher with fewer innings was 4.08

In other words, Cooper has been given more than 2x more innings in a single year than Howell has in 2 years largely because the worst ERA you could have at Arkansas and still get substantial innings was approximately the same as the best ERAs on our team last year.

That doesn't mean that Howell will be good, but only someone who has actually had a chance to scout her stuff would be in a position to tell you that given the circumstances.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I agree that it is a relativey small sample size but it is all we have to go on at the collegiate level. It also is why I menitoned the 33 hits and 13 walks in 27.1 innings which is prehaps more concering than the ERA. Perhaps the next step would be to look at the level of competition she accumulated those numbpers against.

Here are her game-by-game stats: https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/roste...-howell/#stats
                Her stats against Oklahoma State, South Carolina, Missouri, Wazhington, Wichita State and Louisville: 14 earned runs on 15 hits and 7 walks over 6.2 innings for ERA of 14.7 and a WHIP of 3.3.
                Her stats against McNeese, UT-Arlington, SE Missouri St (x2), Drake, Northwestern St, and Wessrn Illinois: 9 earned rund on 18 hits and 6 walks over 20.2 innings equal ERA of 3.05 ERA.and a WHIP of 1.19.

So it would seem that her numbers are elevated as she struggled against top shelf compeition but her numbers were generally okay against weaker competition. Obviously, to be expected but the chasm is pretty wide.

No doubt seeing a pitcher live would be very helpful. Whether or not the WSU coaching staff has had the ability to do that to any significant degree at the collegiate level is unkown. Perhaps she is a pitcher with good stuff and poor command and the HOPE is that IF they can improve her command THEN she can be more effecttive.

My personal take, at this point, is the Howell can help against the softer portion of our schedule but perhap doesn't bring what we really need and what HCKB was HOPING for and that's a pitcher that would make us more compettitve against the top 3rd or our schedule and perhaps help get deeper into NCAA Tournament. This does not appear to be the player to accomplish that. Granted it is a relatively small sample but it is all I have to work with.

One can spin it any way they want and perhaps the best approach is your more opitimistic spin although none of us have a crystal ball. We could just say trust in HCKB which is not a bad take and I hope HCKB hangs around for the rest of her career at Wichita State (that may be optimisttic), but the one chink in her armor has been the inability to attract really topl notch pitching to any degree. And I doubt that is for a lack of effort. Seems like the pool of hitting talent is much deeper than the pool of pitching talent. HCKB has done very well recruiting and developing hitters. Apparently, much harder to do with what's left to pick from after the Power conferences take their scoop out of the pool. With the transfer portal and NIL in play it's probably going to get even harder.

That said HCKB may not and is probably not done in pursuit of beefing up the pitching staff.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  ... but the one chink in her armor has been the inability to attract really top-notch pitching to any degree. And I doubt that is for a lack of effort. ... HCKB has done very well recruiting and developing hitters. Apparently, much harder to do with what's left to pick from after the Power conferences take their scoop out of the [pitching] pool.
                  I have often wondered if a big part of the pitching issue is the lack of a well-known, well-regarded (in NCAA circles) pitching coach. Not that those present and past haven't worked hard with the staff they had, but someone who has demonstrated an ability to take what they get and make it much better - new pitches, better mental approach, whatever.

For me, Lauren Lucas is an example on the hitting side. A RH article during the past season spoke of the coaches telling her during recruiting that they would get her to Wichita, get her in the weight room, and she would be hitting home runs and not slapping. And voila. The Shockers do not have that kind of story to tell a pitching recruit.

Comment

Inconsistent play doesn't help the stats either. There's a lot of feel that goes into things and repetition helps. Bullpen sessions aren't the same as real life games. Don't know if more play will help her or not, but she'll get a chance.

Cooper showed potential as a FR and the 3rd pitcher this year. Consistency was an issue at times, but she definitely has stuff to work with. I also can't remember which HS recruit we have coming in is the one I'm thinking of right now, but I know there's one that seemed to show some promise as a potential contributor. Time will tell and not everyone adjusts to the college game, but Howell will get an opportunity.

There's still no question that despite our offense, a lot will depend on pitching. McDonald and Bingham gave us a chance most games, but we need to step up the level of starting pitching to take that next step as a program. We have hitters. We've recruited a couple more in the incoming class that at least on paper, will get a chance to contribute right away. But we have a glaring weakness and I hope the staff sees something in this girl that helps us out.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I agree that Alison Cooper can be effective and needs to develop more consistency and I expect that she will.

Whether Kenzie Schopfer can make significant freshman to sophomore jump in effectiveness remains to be seen.

Not sure if it is going to happen for Jordyn Pipkin. Pitched only 12 innings over 4 non-con games this past season after redshirting in 2021. She wasn't terrible.

Those are the 3 returner pitchers assuming all 3 return next year.

The incoming freshman pitchers are Alex Aquilar out of MIdland, TX and Sarah Proberts out of Olathe, KS. Throw Laruen Howell into the mix and Shocks will have 6 pitchers on the roster next year IF everyone returns.

One thing i have noticed about the Shockers stable of pitchers is that they relatively small in stature, especially in terms of height.

Alison Cooper 5-4
                      Kenzie Schopfer 5-10
                      Jordyn Pipkin 5-6
                      Alex Aquilar 5-5
                      Sarah Proberts 5-5
                      Lauren Howell 5-7

That said, this doesn't mean the smaller pitchers can't get the job done. Chenise Delce had a terrific year for Arkansas and she is only 5-5. I have no idea how this will play out. Alison is probably close to a lock to be at or near the top of the rotation. Otherwise, it is wide open. Opportunities to be had. It will be interesting.

At this point, it looks like next year will be more of the same for the Shocks. The Shocks will go as far as the offense can carry them and hope the pitching is just good enough.

Comment

Alex Aguilar is the incoming FR I have my eye on, mostly based on her success with Texas Glory and the little experience I have seeing that organization in action. But we definitely need a couple of these young ladies to step up and be able to give the offense enough support to win games.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                          ... Lauren Lucas is an example on the hitting side. ... The Shockers do not have that kind of story to tell a pitching recruit.
                          What they can tell a pitching recruit is that if you come and do the job, you will genuinely be a hero.

Comment

Speaking of the Shocker offense the team only has one big hole to plug and that is for Neleigh Herring at 1st base. Perhaps we lose some firepower in replacing Neleigh not to mention her presence and leadership. Question mark on whether Bailey Urban will return after missing most of last year with an injury but did earn her undergraduate degree.

Thought the production out of the catching position between Lanie Brown and Jessica Garcia improved as the year progressed last year.

6 players combing back with OPS's ranging from 1.020 to 1.485. Make that 7 if Bailey (1.056 OPS in 16 games).comes back.

Would like to see Kristyn Nelson make the leap on offense. HCKA looks to have several intriguing middle infielders among the incoming recruits including:

Taylor Sedlacek | Bennington, Neb. | 5'7" | Infielder
                            A four-year starter and letterwinner, Sedlacek has had a decorated prep career, which led to a Top 100 ranking in the Extra Elite Rankings at No. 66 overall and No. 44 for middle infielders. She is a four-time first team all-conference selection, while also being named a Lincoln Journal Star First Team Super State (All Classes & First Team Class B) and Omaha World Herald First Team All-Nebraska (All Classes & First Team Class B). Sedlacek played in all 33 games as a senior, hitting .457 with three triples, nine doubles, 11 home runs, 19 stolen bases and 52 runs scored. In 122 career games, Sedlacek has seven triples, 35 doubles, 34 home runs, 81 walks, 33 stolen bases, 151 runs and a .423 batting average. She holds single season school records in runs (52) and home runs (11) and career records in runs (151) and home runs (34).

Sami Hood | Allen, Texas | 5'8" | Infielder
                            Hood is a four-year letterwinner and starter at shortstop for the Eagles. As a junior, Hood was named the Conference Player of the Year, while also earning Dallas Morning News All-Area First Team accolades and second team recognition by both the Star Local Media All-Area and DFW Fastpitch All-Metroplex Team. A TGCA All-State member, Hood finished her junior campaign with 11 home runs, five triples, 36 RBI, 43 runs scored, 32 stolen bases and a .348 batting average. She set single season school records in triples, home runs, runs, RBI, batting average, total bases and slugging percentage. Recently named the 2022 DFW Fastpitch Association All-Metroplex Most Valuable Player. The shortstop hit 20 home runs during the season and playoffs.

Possible one or both will find their way into the lineup. Perhaps at 2nd base with Zoe Jones moving to her more natural position at 3rd base.

The question marks for the offense are replacing Neleigh at 1st base, filling left field, especially if Bailey does not return, and perhaps upgrading the infield a little. The Shocks should continue to be well above average with the sticks. They had far more question marks coming into last year and the players more than answered those challenges.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 5, 2022, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I guess this is the official announcement of Lauren Howell signing with the Shocks:

"We are excited to add Lauren to the Shocker Softball pitching staff," Bredbenner said. "Lauren was a highly decorated athlete out of high school. Her experiences at Arkansas and playing travel ball for the Aces will give her an opportunity to make an immediate impact in our program. When we saw her name in the transfer portal I knew we could give her an opportunity to reach her potential as a student-athlete at Wichita State."

"We are excited to add Lauren to the Shocker Softball pitching staff," Bredbenner said. "Lauren was a highly decorated athlete out of high school. Her experiences at Arkansas and playing travel ball for the Aces will give her an opportunity to make an immediate impact in our program. When we saw her name in the transfer portal I knew we could give her an opportunity to reach her potential as a student-athlete at Wichita State."

Howell has two years remaining after spending her first two seasons at the University of Arkansas.

She attended Helias Catholic High School and was rated the No. 31 overall prospect in the 2020 class by ExtraInnings and No. 40 by FloSoftball. ExtraInnings Softball tabbed her the No. 15 pitcher in the class. Howell finished her prep career with a 1.40 ERA, 47-11 record and 646 strikeouts.

Comment

Sydney invited to play with Team USA in Japan next month.

Comment

Working...
                                X