2022-23 Softball Offseason/Preseason Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I'd just come across a post on FB about these awards and was looking for a link to share on here. Well done.

And well earned awards for two of the greatest Shockers ever.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        Maybe when softball starts raising money to pay for the renovations. And I love Syd, Addy and the softball program.
        No doubt raising funds is the life blood of a college athletic program, especially these days, however i was unaware that it had become a requirement for accolades earned from on the field performance. That's unfortunate.

Comment

Just in case you could not read the small print on the plaques (which I had great difficulty with but my vision is not great).

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
            I have mixed feelings on this issue. I agree with you but today, softball benefactors, or a softball person who has some skin in 5he game, needs to step up too. Sorry, this reply was to the slide above Stick’s.

Comment

Maybe when softball starts raising money to pay for the renovations. And I love Syd, Addy and the softball program.
              I am totally lost here.

Baseball has priority in the use of that facility? When Pooch was here, there was an instance of ex-Shockers preparing for their minor league baseball seasons having priority over the Shocker softball team preparing for their season. It is pretty easy for me to say that is so wrong no matter what banners are hanging in the building. Along that line, do big donors to MBB get to use the facilities in the team locker room rather than those that the hoi polloi use up on the concourse? There are limits to the privileges that your money buys you.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

No doubt raising funds is the life blood of a college athletic program, especially these days, however i was unaware that it had become a requirement for accolades earned from on the field performance. That's unfortunate.
              Ditto.

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I have mixed feelings on this issue. I agree with you but today, softball benefactors, or a softball person who has some skin in the game, needs to step up too.

At the SECs, etc. of the world, you can find someone with big bucks who are happy to get their name on a stadium. At the mid-majors of the world, it seems more likely to find someone with a daughter/grandaugher playing that sport (that is how we got Wilkins Stadium - someone and some of their friends). The other option is to find someone with a general interest in Shocker athletics who can be cultivated to contribute to a particular program, softball in this instance. That is AD Saal's job. The recent Shocker softball teams enhance the possibility of this option.
              Last edited by flyingMoose; September 7, 2022, 09:16 AM.

Comment

In my opinion, it doesn’t matter who pays for what. The indoor is known to be used by both the softball and baseball teams. There are banners of all the baseball All-Americans in the indoor. There has never been any softball All-Americans. So, no need or reason to have the discussion, Now there are softball All-Americans and they should be put up in there. If softball ever gets it’s own facility, they can have only baseball up in the current indoor and softball can put theirs up in the facility they build for strictly softball (if that ever happens). Until then, the softball All-Americans should be up in that indoor. They deserve it no question.

Comment

Don't knowwho donated money to the renovation but I'm of the opinion that if it IS a shared facility that both programs can utilize and the criteria used to hang a banner in there was to gain or be recognized as an All American then I say both the young ladies should have their banner displayed as well. Go Shocks

Comment

Comment

• I'm going to throw this in here.

Go Shockers - MAXIMIZING HER POTENTIAL: McKinney Jumps Into World Of NIL Benefits

Reporters who need to explain the changing world of college athletics often use Kristi Dosh as a guide. If the topic is name, image and likeness, Dosh knows the subject and knows how to help reporters put a face on the story.

She sends them to Wichita State shortstop Sydney McKinney, a softball All-American, artist, entrepreneur, and diligent brand manager for herself. When NCAA and college administrators conceived of NIL benefits – compensating student-athletes for their talent and time – McKinney is the perfect example of the intended outcome.

"When it comes to Syd, even if she wasn't a part of the Team USA softball team, if she wasn't an All-American, I think she would be having success in NIL because of who she is," said Bri Cassidy, director of NIL education at Opendorse.

McKinney, a senior from Norborne, Mo., profits from her painting skills, her love of coffee and Altruistic Joe's brand and her ability to hit softballs like few others. She raises money for Autism Speaks, inspired by Ryder, her younger brother diagnosed with autism at age 7. She speaks to young softball players and takes fans inside the Shocker team with social media posts.

That ambition paid off in a significant way when Dosh, founder of the NIL consulting firm Business of College Sports, recommended McKinney for Meta's NIL Empower 2.0 program, announced earlier in September. She is one of 30 women selected for the program, which will give each a brand association, educational sessions for best practices on social media and a mentor.

"It's like getting a job – you want to put your best foot forward," McKinney said. "I didn't come to this expecting to make millions of dollars, like the boys are expecting to do. It's wanting everybody to get to know me, wanting people to know what I'm about. Autism Speaks. Artwork. I didn't really have to think about it. It's more about showing people who I am and not about the money."
                      Great piece with Syd and what NIL was truly designed for.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Dates Set for Fall Softball Scrimmages

Wichita State softball has finalized its fall softball schedule, which includes five home dates and three games vs. Power 5 opponents.

All home contests will be 10-inning games, with $5 admission.
                        Sept. 25 Pittsburg State (Wilkins Stadium) 1:00 PM
                        Sept. 27 Seminole State (Wilkins Stadium) 4:00 PM
                        Sept. 30 at Kansas (Arrocha Ballpark) 4:00 PM
                        Oct. 1 vs. Oklahoma State (Kansas City, Mo.) 11:00 AM
                        Oct. 1 vs. Missouri (Kansas City, Mo.) 1:30 PM
                        Oct. 7 Oklahoma State (Wilkins Stadium) 5:00 PM
                        Oct. 10 Cowley County (Wilkins Stadium) 4:00 PM
                        Oct. 14 Hutch CC (Wilkins Stadium) 3:00 PM

Fall Schedule: https://goshockers.com/sports/softball/schedule/2022-23

Looks like 3 dates, but 4 games against Power-5 opponents. 1 at Wilkins Stadium (Oklahoma State), 1 in Lawrence (Kansas) and 2 in Kansas City (Oklahoma State and Missouri).

Comment

• Go Shockers - RH: Podcast with Elizabeth Economon on Shocker Softball

Wichita State softball's dinner and auction is Saturday and the Shockers open their fall schedule with a scrimmage on Sunday. Associate head coach Elizabeth Economon is here to update fans on newcomers making a good impression this fall, how the program's success changes recruiting and how the coaches challenge returners such as Addison Barnard and Sydney McKinney.

We also discuss the opening at first base, Jessica Garcia's career arc and the new batting cages built next to Wilkins Stadium.

We wrap up by breaking down the accuracy of the "Coach E impressions" video directed by McKinney and featuring her teammates and a bucket hat.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Good interview. We're lucky to have Coach E. Coach B and Coach E make a pretty good case for considering D-II coaches although softball may lend itself a bit more to that than other sports.

Coach E, of course, talked mostly hitting. Looking forward to hearing more about the pitching from HCKB and/or PCPB, but Coach E seemed to indicate that Lauren Howell. the transfer from Arkansas will be a key piece of the pitching pie this year. Lauren is a junior and will be joined by 2 sophomores and 2 freshman on the pitching staff. Sophomore RHP Jordyn Pipkin has transferred to D-II Central Oklahoma. Probably a good move for her. I wish her well.

Sophomore catcher Cassie Passwaters is also not returning leaving the catching duties to Lainee Brown and Jessica Garcia. Not sure what Cassie's situation is. Her most recent post on Twitter was birthday wishes to incoming Shocker freshman C.C. Fleming on September 3rd and Cassie's Twitter photo is still of her in her Shocker uniform.

One other question I had coming into this year was would Bailey Urban return. Despite graduation last year she is back and listed on the roster as a redshirt sophomore. However, Coach E didn't really mention Bailey in her interview. So still a question of how fully recovered she is, or will be, from her season ending knee injury last year.

Sydney is a lock to be in the leadoff spot again in the lineup. It will interesting to see if HCKB leaves Addison in the 2-spot and Lauren Lucas in the 3-spot or whether she might flip flop those two this year. I am assuming we will see Lolo as the DH in the clean-up spot followed by Zoe Jones. Either Lainee or Jessica will be in the line up at catcher and sometimes together with Jessica at 3rd. If Bailey Urban is close to her pre-injury self by the Spring I assume she will be in the lineup as the 3rd outfielder. Based on Coach E's comments about Sami Hood having a good bat and reminding them of Kaylee Huecker defensively it would not surprise me to see her at 2nd base. Replacing Neleigh Herring at 1st and in the lineup is perhaps the biggest question mark at his point (along with Bailey's recovery). According to Coach E Cam Compton, Zoe Jones, Kristin Nelson and Caroline Tallent are in the running. Coach E said Caroline has made some good strides with her hitting. I'm thinkinkg if Zoe isn't at first base then we will see her at 3rd. Time will tell.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 22, 2022, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• Not that it means anything, but I'm fairly certain I saw Bailey Urban at the baseball game Monday with Addy and a few other student athletes. Wouldn't bet it, but I'm pretty sure it was her. No one in that group was showing any mobility issues, fwiw.

Comment

• Not sure if this belongs here (Sydney Mckinney), in the men's basketball forum (Gus Okafor I think) or the off topic forum:

Comment

Working...
                                X