AAC SB Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAC SB Tournament

The write-up from the AAC and from the Shocker site.

I think the key will be how well the Shockers pitch particularly in Games 2 and 3 if the Shocks get that far. If they do, my expectations are that we the Shocks will face off against USF and ECU.

It will be interesting to see how HCKB decides to setup her pitching although predicting what you will get from this year's group from one game to the next is a bit of a guessing game.

Comment

RH: "We Know What We Need to Work on"

"We're a better hitting team than we showed this weekend," Bredbenner said. "Their pitchers pitched tremendously. We're going to take that experience – those are post-season-type games."

The Shockers worked hard to get in that position and, perhaps, overreacted to the circumstances. Bredbenner saw that tension in the strikeouts, weak ground balls and walks that allowed UCF to take the final two games.

"We wanted to make it happen, instead of letting it happen," she said. "We were just anxious. When you started to see the potential to win the conference in sight, getting that first game and tying it up, we tried a little too hard."

"We knew coming in that they were a great team," Wichita State shortstop Sydney McKinney said. "We just didn't capitalize on some of their mistakes, and they did. We know what we need to work on."

The Shockers see value in seeing high-level pitching heading into postseason play. Should they advance in the AAC tournament, they will likely face third-seeded USF (42-13) and senior pitcher Georgina Corrick in the semifinal. Another meeting with UCF looms as a possibility in Saturday's championship.

"We're a better hitting team than we showed this weekend," Bredbenner said. "Their pitchers pitched tremendously. We're going to take that experience – those are post-season-type games."

"We're going to move on toward next weekend and fight every game," first baseman Neleigh Herring said. "This weekend prepped us well. We've got some stuff to work on. I think we'll go into next weekend feeling hot and ready."

Bredbenner said she believes the weekend series vs. UCF boosted Wichita State's NCAA at-large resume.

The Shockers moved up three spots to No. 37 in the NCAA power rankings, helped by the games against No. 16 UCF. Wichita State also owns a split with No. 32 Charlotte and wins over No. 34 Illinois and No. 35 Minnesota. Five of its losses are to top 10 RPI teams Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Arkansas with four more to top-30 UCF and Nebraska.

"The win Friday really helps us," Bredbenner said. "That one win, to me, should solidify us. I think we look pretty good right now."

The one thing the Shockers cannot afford is to lose to #181 Memphis on Thursday.

If the #37 Shockers and year #39 USF to meet up Friday that may very well be a play-in game for the NCAA Tournament. It would be nice to get 3 AAC teams in the tournament. As long has USF has Georgina Corrick in the circle they can be competitive with most teams in the country.

It will be interesting to see if their were any lessons learned from the UCF series. Playing Memphis and ECU back-to-back weekends before taking on UCF wasn't ideal prep.

Comment

Hate for us to get pushed off the bubble by Texas A&M and their gaudy record.

Comment

Polls (NFCA and ESPN)

21/17 UCF
          ---/RV USF
          ---/RV Shockers

and RPI ... now and (was)

16 (17) UCF
          37 (41) Shockers
          39 (40) USF
          Last edited by flyingMoose; May 10, 2022, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
            Polls (NFCA and ESPN)

21/?? UCF
            ---/?? USF
            ---/?? Shockers

and RPI ... now and (was)

16 (17) UCF
            37 (41) Shockers
            39 (40) USF

It's a couple of more hours before the ESPN poll shows up.
            What are your thoughts for what the Shockers need to do to in the AAC Tournament to make it in. Is a win of Memphis good enough or do we need to get into the Championship game? Any chance the AAC gets 3 teams in?

Comment

I'm sure it's been discussed - but why did we play so few games compared to everyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
                I'm sure it's been discussed - but why did we play so few games compared to everyone else?
                It has been pointed out but I don't think it has been discussed and am not sure a clear explanation of that has been made. Although it could have and I just missed it.

Perhaps flyingMoose can weigh in as he is probably on top of the softball stuff more than any other poster.

Comment

Houston won game 1 over Tulsa, 5-2.

Comment

Infield single for Syd.

Two run jack for Addie. 2-0 Shox.

Good start.

Lauren Lucas flies out to deep left center

Zoe singles on a hard hit ball up the middle. Nevermind, they gave the SS an error. She barely got a glove on it while moving to her left.

Hard line drive to RF results in a single and bases loaded. I missed an AB.

Mills with a towering fly ball that lands over the fence in right center. 6-0 Shox and a pitching change.

Lainee pops up in foul territory to the 1B. Swung at a bad pitch.

Wylie goes down swinging.
                    Last edited by SubGod22; May 12, 2022, 11:31 AM. Reason: I need more to do at work today
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Lolo gets a granny. 6-0, Shocks.

Comment

2nd inning

Erin gets a line drive out to Syd at short. Bunt single. Check swing line drive to Jones at 2B who doubles off the runner on first.

Syd leads off again. Line drive single to CF. Steals 2nd on first pitch.

Addie takes a line drive to CF and it lands beyond the wall. HR32. 8-0 Shox.

Lauren goes down 0-2 and works a walk.

Zoe pops up the 2B.

Wild pitch allows Lauren to advance to 2nd.

Neleigh draws a walk. She was HBP last AB.

Garcia also gets walked. Another pitching change taking place.

Lolo is back up with the bases juiced and apparently there's a light drizzle but that doesn't stop Lolo from absolutely crushing another grand slam into right center. This one was a no doubter. 12-0 Shox

Lainee with a line drive single up the middle.

Wylie gets a five pitch walk.

Syd with a hard grounder up the middle to load the bases for Addie.

Wild pitch moves everyone up a base. 13-0 Shox.

Rain has apparently picked up and they're clearing the field.
                        Last edited by SubGod22; May 12, 2022, 12:04 PM.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Addie needs to stop hitting homers so she can get some more stolen bases.

Comment

Rain delay. Shox have 13 runs on 9 hits, 4 home runs and 2 of those grand slams.

Delay expected to last at least an hour.
                            Last edited by SubGod22; May 12, 2022, 12:11 PM.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                              Addie needs to stop hitting homers so she can get some more stolen bases.
                              It's the combination of her hitting homers and Sydney always being on base ahead of her ...

Comment

Working...
                              X