Elephant in the Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post

Interesting comment since if we compare to GGG or GS basketball and baseball record (or IB and TB) fans would want their head on a stick, but since it’s VB, mediocrity is accepted with little complaint.
    If ADKS agrees with you he will get rid of him. And he is really the only one that counts. I doubt posting complaints on a message board will move the needle much.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimshocker View Post

Dude, stop with your excuses.

What is this! My goodness this is a weak argument. Also thinly laced with sexism. Volleyball Athletes are athletes just as any other athletes. I don’t even understand what you are trying to get across here. Recruit better. It’s your job.

In the last 5 years. How many STUDENTS on the volleyball team even made it 4 years and Graduated from WSU? What is the %?
      I think it was more a suggestion that most sports (men or women’s) in college don’t lead to a professional career and there is no illusion as to such. This is why a volleyball or track or softball athlete should go somewhere where there is a subject of interest to them taught by competent faculty AND has a good program. In basketball and football, like it or not, academic programs are usually the last factor in recruits making a decision.

I see male track, golf, and even baseball athletes that support 72’s comments.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

I think it was more a suggestion that most sports (men or women’s) in college don’t lead to a professional career and there is no illusion as to such. This is why a volleyball or track or softball athlete should go somewhere where there is a subject of interest to them taught by competent faculty AND has a good program. In basketball and football, like it or not, academic programs are usually the last factor in recruits making a decision.

Your are exactly on target. Although I wasn't suggesting that I was stating that is I would think that is pretty obvious, but I guess that was not the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

I fully understand that. That is not a WSU problem. It’s a problem for nearly every women’s Volleyball program in the country short of a handful.

I’m confused however with the point f this comment.

Are you saying the kids that Chris recruits come to WSU FIRST for academics and enjoy the opportunity to play volleyball while getting their education payed for?
          If so, one would think WSU volleyball senior night should have MULTIPLE students walking and being eschewed off to thier careers with a WSU diploma.

That is not the case!

Lehman and Hiebert relevant here…since those two FOUR year Shockers graduated, how many of the STUDENTS that were recruited by Chris Lamb and choose WSU Academically, have walked the floor for Senior night in a volleyball jersey?

To follow your logic, WSU Academics got them on campus, therefore it must be WSU volleyball that pushed them out to graduate somewhere else?

D1 sports are a thing. A D1 scholarship in the majority of cases is about D1 sports. That athlete wants to play D1.
          -Ivy League schools not withstanding.

D2 sports more closely resemble the model you suggest. And maybe the root of the problem. Is Chris Recruiting D1 students but D2 athletes?
          Last edited by jimshocker; September 13, 2023, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
            jimshocker does make some valid points, however sometimes they come across as karenshocker comments. No offense to any fine Karen’s.
            Ironically, if you read my posts as Jimshocker about the vball COACH and call it Karenish. What on earth to you call the HEAD COACH of the programs comments about his own players and conference.

I may have some competition with Chris. He is about as Karenish as anyone I’ve actually heard speak about the program.

What a recruiting pitch it must be.

Hey, come to WSU. We will not win championships because two schools are just better than us. And they already have recruited better players than you are. 3rd it is! But, if I schedule right and the stars all align perfectly, we can still hope for a NCAA bid. If not, you and your teammates are actually NIT level kids anyway and our fans will be happy with the NIT, so come enjoy WSU’s fine Academic opportunities.

WTF.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

If ADKS agrees with you he will get rid of him. And he is really the only one that counts. I doubt posting complaints on a message board will move the needle much.
              In rereading the first page of these posts, it’s the same argument 3 years prior. The only needle that has not moved is Lamb’s success.

Comment

• What moves the needle in volleyball? How has attendance trended over the last 5 years? Does that shortfall move any needles?
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  What moves the needle in volleyball? How has attendance trended over the last 5 years? Does that shortfall move any needles?
                  Attendance needle has definitely moved—- in the wrong direction

Comment

I think Volleyball will find its way back but the AAC is a much tougher conference than Valley from top to bottom. WBB, I don't know. I think the growing appeal of volleyball to more and more young female athletes is further diminishing an already relatively shallow talent pool for WBB. The elite WBB programs will continue to get the players they need and want but it will be tough for everyone else to find enough talent. The pool of talent in VB on the other hand appears to be growing. The elite VB programs will continue to get the top talent but there is a lot more decent talent to spread around the non-elites making it tougher to distinguish yourself.

1972, from March, 2021.

See: The pool of talent in volleyball on the other hand seems to be growing.

Comment

Lambo is more like Turgeon in that he has I think an "at this level way of thinking". That said, in volleyball there is much more reason to think that way knowing the cream of the crop of players are going to be cherry picked and that the talent pool for volleyball is not as deep as that for men's basketball. And that talent pool is further diluted because it is more or less split with women's basketball. For example, Abbie Lehman was on her way to playing college basketball before Lambo convinced her otherwise. If you do make the post season where they only seed 16 teams, Lambo has always said it is not how far you get it is who do you get to when your season ends that tells you how you have done.

1972, from September, 2023

See: And that talent pool is further diluted because it is more or less split with women’s basketball.

Please explain? 1972 did we go back in time?

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

In other words, I doubt that purchasing a billboard to fire fADDB will move the needle much

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post

In other words, I doubt that purchasing a billboard to fire fADDB will move the needle much
                            Don't think SN can take total credit, but the sign was the catalyst for it becoming a "perfect storm" when a very vulnerable (for many reasons) Boatwrong went ballistic at the sign company.

Not sure that Lamb is in as much deep water or as important a cog within the totality of the athletic department.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Don't think SN can take total credit, but the sign was the catalyst for it becoming a "perfect storm" when a very vulnerable (for many reasons) Boatwrong went ballistic at the sign company.
                              Midnight emails also might have been a factor.

78-65

Comment

• I’m sure there were a lot of contributing factors besides just the billboard. The same applies to Lamb. To suggest the AD will reject in toto any fan input from the shocker message board however is simply imo a myopic opinion. Might be negligible but still a contributing variable.

Comment

Working...
                                X