No announcement yet.

North Texax Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing Lambo has preached as long as I have followed Shocker volleyball is that older is better. This match may have shown some of that. SFA pretty much checks the box with 2 Seniors and 2 Juniors among their top 4 players. The Shocks not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Ouch. Not to take anything away from SFA as they were the better team this morning and deserved to win and will no doubt have a gaudy record this year but this one might sting a bit at selection Sunday time. It certainly, leaves very little room for error in AAC play. I suppose the Shocks could remedy this if they can get by North Texas tonight and then pul the upset of Cal Poly tomorrow.
      I am thinking something very similar. Actually, I don't think this team can make the Tournament. They simply have not shown they cannot get old enough, get skilled enough, get experienced enough (however you want to say it) quickly enough. I hope I am very wrong.

They will need to be the Conference representative. I don't think the RPI can get good enough. In another week or two, we will have a good feel for the RPI possibilities.

I think the 20-win-season streak is in jeopardy also.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
        I think the 20-win-season streak is in jeopardy also.
        Certainly a possibility. During that 15-year streak we won 21 games 3 times and we won as few as 20 games once. The 2014 team went 20-10 (13-5 in the Valley) and missed post-season play.

Like this year's team that team was not very old. Only 1 senior, seldom used MB Natialie Brisso. Ashlyn Driskill, Katie Reilly, MaryAshton Floyd and Gaby Urban were juniors. Sophomores included Dani Mostrom and Jody Larson. Freshmen on that team included Emily Hiebert, Abbie Lehman, MIkaela Raudsepp, Gabi Mostrom and Hanna Shelton. The next 3 years turned out to be pretty good.

This year's team does have 2 seniors in Tabitha and Kali and Tabitha has gotten off to a slow start and Kali is still learning Lambo's systems and terminology. Alex Koon and Jordan Roberts are the only juniors that play much although Kara Bown is getting a little more floor time lately.

The 2014 team played a good non-con schedule but probably not quite as tough as this year's team has faced. The 2014 team did lose to North Texas in five sets so lets hope that isn't repeated.

I doubt Lambo is losing any sleep over the 20-win-season streak but the hamster cages are no doubt turning full time with this year's team.

Comment

• flyingMoose
          flyingMoose commented
          Editing a comment
          The 20-win stuff is an aside, of course. Getting to the Tournament is the goal - either via being the Conference representative or RPI. RPI is going to be a difficult route for this team.
          Last edited by flyingMoose; September 14, 2018, 05:40 PM.

Cal Poly sweeps Mississippi State 10, 20 and 23. 26-7-52 = .365 for the Van Winden sisters.

North Texas beat Mississippi State in 5 sets on Thursday night 23, 20, (15), (21) and 5.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 14, 2018, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Shockers at North Texas

Pre-match comments

Mike: Will play North Texas again in the finale of the regular season. Making arrangements to continue with North Texas and Cal Poly in future years.

Lambo: Still looking for consistency. Different setters have different rhythms (trying to clean that up), making timing with outsides difficult. Still too many errors, 20%. Kills at 46% which is very good, but the errors.
          North Texas scheduling tougher, so record not as impressive as in the past (same for VCU).

Comment

Set One

Grace is in and Abby is out.

2-2, then some mini-runs: 5-2, then 5-6, then 10-6, then 10-9 before getting back to one-sies and two-sies.

Comment

Two-sies for the Mean Green and one-sies for the Shockers.

Shocker TO at 15-18.

16-20 to 18-20 and North Texas takes a TO.

Comment

A 4-0 run for the Shocks gives them a 22-21 lead and North Texas takes their second TO.

A kill by Tabitha wins Set One at 25-23.

.176 v .250.
                Tabitha with five kills and Megan with four.
                12% attack errors for the Shocks, much better than in the past.

Comment

Set Two

The first play of the set was hit long by Megan - and then ruled a touch by North Texas. LS has yet to catch the change.

10-9 and neither team has more than two consecutive points.

Until now. 13-9 and North Texas takes a TO.

LiveStats has made the change.

Two more to make it five in a row at 15-9.

Comment

Abby has entered sometime in this set.

At 19-11, the Mean Green takes their second TO.

Comment

Shocks continue to roll to take Set Two, 25-15.

.247 v .176
                      Megan 7-1-14 for .429
                      Alex 5-1-9 for .444
                      Tabitha has seven kills also.

Comment

Set Three

Abby starts this set.

Comment

A couple of four-point leads for the Shocks, the latest at 12-8.

14-9 and a TO by North Texas.

14-12 and the Shockers take their own TO.

Comment

Kills by Alex and Tabitha make it 21-16, and North Texas takes another TO.

Comment

Kill by Alex, kill by Tabitha and the Shocks take Set Three, 25-19.

.264 v .191

Alex 10-2-16 for .500
                              Megan 9-1-20 for .400
                              Emma 7-2-12 for .417
                              Tabitha had 13 kills

15% error rate
                              41% kill rate
                              Last edited by flyingMoose; September 14, 2018, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X