Dwight Coleby Tranferring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
    I acknowledge he started. If we run 5 Wendell Preadoms out there I suppose one is the power forward. I would settle for a 6'8"" 220 kid that rebounded, defended and gave 4 fouls.
    McDuffie is 6-8, 215, rebounds, defends, and gives four fouls. He will be 220 this year. So...McDuffie can't play PF, but you want to bring in a kid similar to McDuffie to play PF...cuz we are thin in the post. Sheesh.
    Livin the dream

Comment

Not only Hall as a junior look at EVERY. SINGLE. JUCO. from junior to senior under Gregg Marshall. Chadrack went from a bench stiff averaging 1.6 and 1.8 in 8 minutes to a critical 5.9 and 5. Darius Carter went from a serviceable 7.9 and 4.5 to being THE guy in the post at 11.4 and 5.4. Writing of Willis now after we've seen so many flashes of skill is patently absurd. The ONLY juco junior who had a better year than Willis did was Cle.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
        McDuffie is 6-8, 215, rebounds, defends, and gives four fouls. He will be 220 this year. So...McDuffie can't play PF, but you want to bring in a kid similar to McDuffie to play PF...cuz we are thin in the post. Sheesh.
        McDuffie is not 215. McDuffie is a terrific skill player whose skills are wasted if he's banging in the post. Obediah Church is listed at 6'7" 217, he is bigger than McDuffie. Carl Hall is 6'8" 223, who would you believe would hold tbeir ground better in the post? More importantly, do you want one of our best skill players expending his energy getting pushed around in tbe paint? This is the "Kyle Wilson is our tallest player so now he's our center" line of thinking. Let's see what the coaches do.
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

If you don't think Shaq, Nurger, Kelly, Willis, and Mit will be enough inside for the Shocks to compete for a title this year, that's fine. But if you think a guy who's never been a starter through three college seasons and couldn't get more than 6 minutes a game on a KU team that was paper thin inside is going to be the difference maker, I'd suggest you'd be wrong.

I'd rather someone with at least two years of eligibility.

Comment

If BOBB is the former Big Old Badass Baller, then I think I understand the direction this thread has gone.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post

I would too. The nice thing about senior transfers is they can make way for new blood if recruiting is going well. I am not saying Coleby is a world beater. If Mitdgaard is ready to play tben we are set, but color me highly suspicious. That says nothing about his long term potential, just history of Freshmen big men.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                If BOBB is the former Big Old Badass Baller, then I think I understand the direction this thread has gone.
                One and the same, but it was Big Ol' Badass Baller.

Comment

I wish we could wait till this guy decides to actually transfer before spending more energy on this topic.

He may still go back to KU and all this talk is pointless.

Comment

Carl Hall is 6'8" 223.
                    I don't think Carl was 6'7" even if you counted the dreds.
                    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                    -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by calfan View Post
                      I wish we could wait till this guy decides to actually transfer before spending more energy on this topic.

He may still go back to KU and all this talk is pointless.
                      It was announced last night that he indeed is transferring.
                      78-65

Comment

I would doubt that he is considering WSU. He's looking for a team who lost their Center this year and lacks very much depth. He wants to play, not compete with 3 returning players for playing time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          Willis has a lot of things to work on. Based on 3G's past work with JUCO guys, I expect big improvements next year. That said, he definitely has skills, such as a really quick spin move, a good mid range jumper, inside rebounding, and general athletism (he's no stiff).

With all this talk about the following year, keep in mind, we could also lose McDuffie and Shamet along with our 6 seniors. That would be a huge blow to the team and makes this next recruiting class that much more important.
                          If the game slows down for him, and I don't see why it wouldn't, he can have a D. Carter/C. Hall type impact. It's not a stretch to think that's possible.

As it is he was easily our best, and quickest, offensive rebounder, ahead of Shamet even.
                          Last edited by ShockingButTrue; May 16, 2017, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I would too. The nice thing about senior transfers is they can make way for new blood if recruiting is going well. I am not saying Coleby is a world beater. If Mitdgaard is ready to play tben we are set, but color me highly suspicious. That says nothing about his long term potential, just history of Freshmen big men.
                            I'm not saying Mitdgaard is ready to play, but I also do not believe one can lump him in a category of typical Freshmen either. I have no idea how fast he can learn HCGM's system, but we saw how quickly AR picked it up and his senior HS year was much, much different than what Mitdgaard played and faced in experience. Also, most HS senior big men did not face near the talent, size, and experience that the Dane faced as a senior. I may be wrong, but I don't believe that most of the 5s that he could face this season will be bigger, stronger, and more experienced than what he faced last year.

Comment

I can't find the link now but not only was Mitdgaard on the (native) all League team but was also the newcomer of the year for his league. I have a feeling our coaches think they have found a hidden gem..

Found it.. He was named Young Player of the Year in the Danish league. I'll try to put the link on his recruiting page.
                              Last edited by Windiwu; May 16, 2017, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                Willis has a lot of things to work on. Based on 3G's past work with JUCO guys, I expect big improvements next year. That said, he definitely has skills, such as a really quick spin move, a good mid range jumper, inside rebounding, and general athletism (he's no stiff).

With all this talk about the following year, keep in mind, we could also lose McDuffie and Shamet along with our 6 seniors. That would be a huge blow to the team and makes this next recruiting class that much more important.
                                I agree. Willis has the potential to be a incredible post player next year. Unlike our recent batch of big men, he plays like one in the post.What I mean is, he doesn't change his game because of the contact. He will drop step into a layup regardless of who's down there. Occasional Shaq shies away from contact settling for fade-aways. Not so much with Willis. I can't wait to watch him.

McDuffie is not 215. McDuffie is a terrific skill player whose skills are wasted if he's banging in the post. Obediah Church is listed at 6'7" 217, he is bigger than McDuffie. Carl Hall is 6'8" 223, who would you believe would hold tbeir ground better in the post? More importantly, do you want one of our best skill players expending his energy getting pushed around in the paint? This is the "Kyle Wilson is our tallest player so now he's our center" line of thinking. Let's see what the coaches do.
                                We did really well with him at the 4 in the NCAA's. I'm with you on the fact that he clearly has the skill-set of a 3 and he doesn't fit the bill for a next-level PF. But he got the job done last year.

Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
                                If you don't think Shaq, Nurger, Kelly, Willis, and Mit will be enough inside for the Shocks to compete for a title this year, that's fine. But if you think a guy who's never been a starter through three college seasons and couldn't get more than 6 minutes a game on a KU team that was paper thin inside is going to be the difference maker, I'd suggest you'd be wrong.

Yep. I love that he is brothers with our Coleby, but we don't need his services, IMO.

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                                I'm not saying Mitdgaard is ready to play, but I also do not believe one can lump him in a category of typical Freshmen either. I have no idea how fast he can learn HCGM's system, but we saw how quickly AR picked it up and his senior HS year was much, much different than what Mitdgaard played and faced in experience. Also, most HS senior big men did not face near the talent, size, and experience that the Dane faced as a senior. I may be wrong, but I don't believe that most of the 5s that he could face this season will be bigger, stronger, and more experienced than what he faced last year.
                                Good points, but I am not convinced. None of us have great tape of him playing ball with these biggger guys. i have only seen him punk a bunch of midgets. I will stand firm on my skepticism of AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X