Morris Udeze 6'8 PF/C 2018 a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
    Yeah, that's a good point. I went back and read some of the earlier stuff about Kopp and have to admit I was surprised we were no longer in the running. It may take a few more 30 win seasons before these kids wake up and understand Wichita State is a legitimate high-major college BB program.
    I don't believe that "not enough 30 win seasons" had anything to do with Kopp not having WSU on his short list. I think the commitment from Brown had everything to do with that.

It's not that Marshall can't get the good recruits, it's starting to be about his ability to get better recruits. I don't think Kopp wanted to compete with Brown for PT. Take that and put it together with Kopp's apparent preference for some great academic schools and it's easy to see why WSU didn't make his short list.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      I don't believe that "not enough 30 win seasons" had anything to do with Kopp not having WSU on his short list. I think the commitment from Brown had everything to do with that.

It's not that Marshall can't get the good recruits, it's starting to be about his ability to get better recruits. I don't think Kopp wanted to compete with Brown for PT. Take that and put it together with Kopp's apparent preference for some great academic schools and it's easy to see why WSU didn't make his short list.
      Absolutely correct! I don't know if we stopped putting as much effort into him as we once were, but with the commitment of Brown and Stevenson, Kopp certainly is less important to future success than he was prior to those commitments.

The 2018 roster currently looks like this:

Guard: Reaves, SHJ, Shamet*
      Wing guard (Kopps's position): Keyser, Stevenson
      Guard/forward: McDuffie*, Brown

We really need another true point, stretch 4, and post (for injury and foul trouble). That gives us 10-12 scholarship players depending on Shamet and McDuffie. If LS and MM leave, you probably need to backfill their spot with similar positions (which Kopp is not). So we have one "best available" offers which could be filled by a 2/3. Certainly Kopp would fit that niche, but current attention is likely going to 1s, 4's and 5's.
      Last edited by wufan; August 6, 2017, 10:55 AM.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

I don't think we know that Kopp did not want to compete with Brown for PT (but that Memphis radio interview was outstanding and could be intimidating) but we do know that Kopp recognizes the importance of academics (IMO he is more focused on academics than MBB).

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
          Absolutely correct! I don't know if we stopped putting as much effort into him as we once were, but with the commitment of Brown and Stevenson, Kopp certainly is less important to future success than he was prior to those commitments.

The 2018 roster currently looks like this:

Guard: Reaves, SHJ, Shamet*
          Wing guard (Kopps's position): Keyser, Stevenson
          Guard/forward: McDuffie*, Brown

We really need another true point, stretch 4, and post (for injury and foul trouble). That gives us 10-12 scholarship players depending on Shamet and McDuffie. If LS and MM leave, you probably need to backfill their spot with similar positions (which Kopp is not). So we have one "best available" offers which could be filled by a 2/3. Certainly Kopp would fit that niche, but current attention is likely going to 1s, 4's and 5's.
          Tyler Harris and Dimon Carrigan or Flo Thamba will do

Comment

Thread police here getting us back to Udeze (Miller Kopp has a thread of his own, in case anyone forgot)...

Some guys are won over by their first visit and never find another that matches it; others are swayed by whatever they've seen most recently. Who knows which category (or some entirely different one) Udeze falls into? If you want to be an optimist, you can certainly read the comments he had about his top ten and find Udeze's words about WSU to be more positive than any others, which would bode well -- but if you take off the yellow and black glasses you could undoubtedly find other interpretations, too.

As Joaquin Andujar would say, it all comes down to one word: you never know. And you really don't, at least until he commits, and even then not for sure until he enrolls or signs.

Comment

Will attend Monteverde academy for his senior year

Comment

Lots of positives in this article for the Shox, in my opinion. Udeze will play his senior season at Montverde Academy in Florida, as a post-grad year. Ft. Bend Travis is incorrect.

The staff's straight up nature has impressed Udeze from the start of his relationship with them. Udeze wants to take an official visit to LSU, the only program in his top-10 he currently plans to visit.

Butler, LSU, New Orleans, Ohio State, TCU and Wichita State are on the 6-8, 240-pound forward the hardest, but his top-10 also included FGCU, Iowa State, St. John's and Tulsa.

Earlier in the summer, the No. 137 overall prospect took an official visit to Wichita State and came away impressed. He has four official visits remaining.

"Loved it man it was different. Just the coaches, the players and the vibes," said the Houston Defenders big man.

As he inches closer to a decision, Udeze knows what he's looking for in a program.

"Who is coming in and out, their type of play and I want great relationship with the coaches," Udeze said.

In October, Udeze would like to have a decision so he can focus on his senior season at Ft. Bend Travis.

Comment

https://twitter.com/MorrisUdeze34/st...49187208179714

Shockers still in the final 5 for Morris

Comment

Here are quotes from Morris on each of his top five schools. http://d1vision.com/morris-udeze-top-five/

Comment

I notice when these players talk about each school, they often say that someone is calling them everyday. That sounds exhausting. But I never see that said about WSU. The program must speak for itself.
                      You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                        I notice when these players talk about each school, they often say that someone is calling them everyday. That sounds exhausting. But I never see that said about WSU. The program must speak for itself.
                        I'm sure Wichita state calls some players everyday... They build special bonds with the assistant coach that's recruiting them and I bet you anything they keep in touch everyday

Comment

Ngumeze said that Donnie Jones calls or contacts him every other day. That probably is just as good for kids. You can probably bug them too much.

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                            I'm sure Wichita state calls some players everyday... They build special bonds with the assistant coach that's recruiting them and I bet you anything they keep in touch everyday
                            I have had the opportunity to be around one of our assistant coaches at some local functions and sporting events. I will just say that the most recent time I saw him the poor guy was on his phone the entire 3 hours he was there. If you don't love your phone and love speaking with young men about hoops and life I think being an assistant and recruiting would be a drag of a job. This coach did tell me that he often goes down to the arena floor during the week and walks around in there while face timing recruits so they are constantly seeing the backdrop of where they would play. Smart move.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                              Ngumeze said that Donnie Jones calls or contacts him every other day. That probably is just as good for kids. You can probably bug them too much.
                              Yeah, a good recruiter should be able to sense when he might be too overbearing or come across as too needy. Some kids might love everyday contact and others maybe not so much. But you definitely have to keep in contact enough that they know you are still serious about their recruitment.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Working...
                                X