Florent "Flo" Thamba 6'10 C 2018 to Baylor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fake Gregg Marshall View Post
    THIS. Any time I hear someone speak poorly of EO, I know I'm talking to a casual basketball fan.
    3G used to say that EO allowed us to take more chances on the perimeter. He had the ability to erase mistakes at the rim.

Comment

I loved Ehimen. Solid defensive player and a super person too.

I still remember an airball free throw and then Ron passing up a WIDE-OPEN 3 to give him a eventual free throw miss that set off a Louisville rally. That'll probably always be my biggest WHAT IF sports moment of my life. I will go to my grave believing that if the Shockers played Michigan on Monday in Atlanta, the national title trophy would have come to the 316. Sigh....
      78-65

Comment

EO eliminated the "pick and roll" from the opposing team. He could get so low, wide and quick. The guard had nowhere to go and the bigs weren't fast enough to gain separation.

Comment

Wichita State does not go to a Final Four without Orupke.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

I still remember an airball free throw and then Ron passing up a WIDE-OPEN 3 to give him a eventual free throw miss that set off a Louisville rally. That'll probably always be my biggest WHAT IF sports moment of my life. I will go to my grave believing that if the Shockers played Michigan on Monday in Atlanta, the national title trophy would have come to the 316. Sigh....
            I think the National Title we'll win sometime in the next 10 years will erase those "what ifs."

Bold statement, yes. However, I was made fun throughout high school (2008-11) for telling people that Wichita State would rise to the level we're at now. I would tell people that if Butler could make the Final Four, so could we. They laughed.

Now I'm predicting a title before real Gregg retires as a Shocker. I'm no @WuDrWu: but I have a solid track record if you ignore the time I said that we were wasting a scholly on some country bumpkin from Scott City 😂

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

EO also had the sexiest voice I've ever heard grace the post game show.

Comment

He had some great skills and played an important role, but you may overstate things. He had 5 more fouls to give as a BIG and we had to have those 5 fouls to beat the Zags because our other BIGS were in foul trouble and his shot blocking skills were at a higher level than Carter. We definitely needed EO. However, his free throw percentage was South of 50%, and he had hands on offense that were like ping pong paddles so sometimes he was a turnover machine. However, we were served better with EO than we would have without him. Gregg had to use him wisely so he gets a lot of credit.

Comment

agreed, and then some.

Comment

The stars aligned, but you could make this statement about many of the guys on that team

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      The stars aligned, but you could make this statement about many of the guys on that team
                      You're right. EO was very important and may have done a few things others didn't do but statistically he only averaged 2 points and 4 rebounds per game. Others who were statistically just as good or better than EO included, Armstead, Baker, Cotton, Cleanthony, Carl Hall (starters), And off the bench, FVV, Wessel, Jake White, Nick Wiggins, and Dmetrick Williams. Each of these players off the bench, hit Big 3 point shots, retrieved Big rebounds, and/ or played great defense during this historic NCAA run. This team,like all of Marshall's teams lacked star power and none averaged much more than low double figures. All of these players had strengths and weaknesses.

Comment

we need a shot blocker that can make any team, any team in the country, think twice. just like we had with orukpe and haven't had since. otherwise, final four might be out of reach. i've alluded to this many times over the last few years. no brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                          we need a shot blocker that can make any team, any team in the country, think twice. just like we had with orukpe and haven't had since. otherwise, final four might be out of reach. i've alluded to this many times over the last few years. no brainer.
                          EO served an important role for his elite shot blocking and rebounding. It's too bad that he only averaged 2.0 Pt's. and 4 rebounds because he only averaged 10 minutes because of his weaknesses. You can't rewrite history and make him the reason we were in the F4 more so than others. We've had plenty of 5s who were good shot blockers (not as good as EO) who were/are more valuable than EO. My hope is that we get a 7'0 shot blocker who can hit free throws, play the low post, and make teams double them up, rather than EO only good for setting picks. Was EO better than Shaq, or Carter, etc.? No they are better more well rounded players.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                            EO served an important role for his elite shot blocking and rebounding. It's too bad that he only averaged 2.0 Pt's. and 4 rebounds because he only averaged 10 minutes because of his weaknesses. You can't rewrite history and make him the reason we were in the F4 more so than others. We've had plenty of 5s who were good shot blockers (not as good as EO) who were/are more valuable than EO. My hope is that we get a 7'0 shot blocker who can hit free throws, play the low post, and make teams double them up, rather than EO only good for setting picks. Was EO better than Shaq, or Carter, etc.? No they are better more well rounded players.
                            nah.. no shot-blocker like that, no final four. they would have beat kentucky this year, and louisville and michigan state too, with orukpe clone, 2 pts and 4 rbs and all.

Comment

Anything on "Flo?"

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                                nah.. no shot-blocker like that, no final four. they would have beat kentucky this year, and louisville and michigan state too, with orukpe clone, 2 pts and 4 rbs and all.
                                I would have to agree. Our interior D looked like swiss cheese in November against some good competition.

Comment

Working...
                                X