Which video Wu?
      Leave me alone. I’m old.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• WstateU
        WstateU commented
        Editing a comment
        I hear ya’...

• I agree the strength and ability to finish through contact appears to be one of his best attributes but I'm not sure how well that will translate to high D1.

The last guard recruit (we didn't get him) I got excited about based on his unique ability to absorb contact and finish was a guy several years back named Jared Wilson-Frame. He was a bit bigger at 6-5. He went on to have a good career at Pitt but became primarily a 3/d guy. Even at 6'5" 220 he couldn't do it at the D1 level.

I'm not saying Sherfield can't have success here finishing through contact in the lane at 6'2"...it just doesn't happen much. Fred made it work with much less size... But i can't think of any other guards who were amazing at it.

​​​​​​​
      With all that said...i really am pumped about Grant! This is like complaining about the interior color of your new Ferrari.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
        C0|dB|00ded commented
        Editing a comment
        Fred avoided a lot of the contact and ended up on his ass after the difficult drive most times. Like Shaq said: "He crafty."

Fred was 6' in shoes, had no vertical to speak of, and almost never got blocked. Think about that for a moment. Fred is not your normal short guy. He's one in a million.

T

...:cool:

• Woodrow
        Woodrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Malcolm was pretty good at it.

• Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
      I remember Notre Dame guard Demetrius Jackson 6'1", Miami U guard Angel Rodriguez 5'11", each leading their team in scoring and the reason they knocked WSU out of the NCAA tournament. This ain't the NBA, shorter guards can be very effective.
      How'd the Wahoos and Wildcats do in the dance over the last 5 years. And UConn in '14. And, oh yeah, how big were the Cardinals guards when they beat us in the semis? What about that Huskie team that was gettin' all the calls against us in '11. Remember when the mighty Phi Slamma Jamma was felled by a couple of 6'0" guards way back when (and I think that team had a pretty good 6'6" 2 guard)? S-K-I-L-L-E-D guards is the differentiating factor. GGG knows it. Grant Sherfield said it...

I hope, and believe, we can have at least some of the success those teams had. After all, the book on GGG says if you give him a point guard...
      Last edited by ShockingButTrue; April 19, 2019, 05:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
        I don't like short guards. Hopefully Sherfield doesn't suffer from the same case of height inflation that Stevenson did. Stevenson was listed as 6'3 (still is) and he's lucky to be 6'1.5" in shoes. If this guy is listed at 6'2"... :/

We now have a ton of guards well under 6'3".

Just like Marshall saying you're down 7 on the road; a guard in a top 40 program that's under 6'3" is at a significant disadvantage right out of the gate. Most will have to alter their shot moving from high school to college. Ask Frankamp how well the transition worked out for him.

T

Starting guards for this year's final four:

Kihei Clark - 5'9
        Kyle Guy - 6'2
        Davide Moretti - 6'2
        Matt Mooney - 6'3
        Cassius Winston - 6'0
        Matt McQuaid - 6'4
        Jared Harper - 5'11
        Bryce Brown - 6'3

Comment

• IndianaShocker
          IndianaShocker commented
          Editing a comment
          Meh...Jerome was UVA's PG. Kihei was a very low 3* ranked somewhere 350-400 in the 2018 class & former UC Davis commit. Seems more a reaction to losing vs UMBC, or as cold said getting mid-majored.

• Height doesn't hurt but reflecting on my long past playing days I never felt I couldn't score on or defend someone 2 or 3 inches taller. 4,5,6 inches was a different story. I doubt any of these recruits feel any differently.
        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• this is stupid

Comment

• Basketball scholarships are within your reach. Learn how to get a scholarship for basketball and how to get scouted to play college basketball today.

Now where do you think taller players skew towards, top 40 programs or bottom 40?

Final question: Has CB ever lost an argument on the Interweb? Seriously.

T

Comment

• Generally speaking, for every couple of inches in height your going to give up some speed/quickness.
            If you have some rim protectors, as I believe we do, you can afford smaller quicker guards. With that
            said, quick guards pose a problem for quite a few teams that can't match that speed and quickness
            smaller guards possess. Right now I believe GM has recruited a very nice blend of rim protectors, some
            pretty athletic guys at the 4/5 spots and guards with great potential to go along with a couple that are
            already pretty dang good. We will be even better defensively next year which is KEY. Replacing the
            shooting percentages of our departing seniors should not be a problem, in fact, I fully expect their
            replacements to do at least as well and probably better. I am wondering if they will try and adjust JB's
            shot release point a little. You seldom see high % shooters that release as high as he does. ES has
            very solid shooting fundamentals and WILL shoot a higher % of threes than SHJ did this season. I
            am very confident of that. DD also has good form. I like our returning perimeter players A LOT already.
            I am also pretty confident that the freshmen will blossom quickly giving us fantastic depth - something we
            didn't have last season. We will have a better TEAM shooting % and just as good or better on D. Love
            our centers. Keys going into next season are chemistry with so many getting notable PT and TA's
            defense. I hope practices are open cause I'd sure like to go watch.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
              C0|dB|00ded commented
              Editing a comment
              "quick guards pose a problem for quite a few teams that can't match that speed and quickness
              smaller guards possess."

lol

You just defined getting "mid-majored".

I'd prefer banking on the tall players (like every other top 40 team) instead of Cinderella runs with undersized players a la Loyola. Knuckle ball pitchers can be effective occasionally but you don't see teams filling their rosters with them.

T

• Cold's song...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post

Starting guards for this year's final four:

Kihei Clark - 5'9
              Kyle Guy - 6'2
              Davide Moretti - 6'2
              Matt Mooney - 6'3
              Cassius Winston - 6'0
              Matt McQuaid - 6'4
              Jared Harper - 5'11
              Bryce Brown - 6'3
              But what could have happened if they had been 3-4" taller? :)

This is a humorous discussion.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                WSUwatcher commented
                Editing a comment
                If they had been 3-4 inches taller, Shockm, they'd have been recruited by Todd Butler.

• Shockm
                Shockm commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s true and by some others on here who think that height is everything. I think that along with talent, heart and the will to win are just as important as height.

• Well, back to this: yay we got Grant the Great!

Seriously, with Marshall and crew pulling in better and better recruits it won't be long before we make another Final Four.

Comment

• just who is the Clod character, someone who lives in his parent's basement?
                You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

Comment

• GS went on The Drive today https://kfh.radio.com/blogs/drive/we...rant-sherfield

Comment

• pie n eye
                    pie n eye commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That’s an impressive interview for an incoming freshman. Looking forward to seeing him in action.

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
                  Funny how a program that doesn't get a coveted athlete suddenly downgrades the kid's potential when said athlete chooses another school. I saw this piece yesterday from the Twin Cities website regarding Minnesota missing out on Grant.

The Gophers men’s basketball team missed out Tuesday on recruiting target Grant Sherfield for its 2019 class. The 6-foot-2, three-star point guard from Wichita, Kan., picked Wichita State. “Glad to…

The bit that gets me chuckling is: "The Gophers men’s basketball team missed out Tuesday on recruiting target Grant Sherfield for its 2019 class. The 6-foot-2, three-star point guard from Wichita, Kan., picked Wichita State."

I did not change his ranking, just bolded it to make it stand out. LMAO.

I'm sure with a little searching there was probably an earlier article that boasted Minnesota was in the running for the 6-foot-2, FOUR-STAR point guard from Wichita!
                  Interesting thing about this story. I checked rivals and they have both GS and TE listed as 4 star recruits. So I also checked 247 sports recuit list and they have TE ranked at 118 a 4 star recuit and GS at 135 a 3 star recruit. Not sure what to make of this since Wichita Eagle said GS was a consensus 4 star recuit. Well it doesn't matter to me since I say let the players play and we watch for ourselves.

Ron Baker wasn't ranked but when I saw his high school videos I knew he was better than a lot of guys ranked in the top 100 that year.

Comment

Working...
                X