No announcement yet.

DeAntoni Gordon 6'8 F 2019 a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has 3g ever had a front court player come in and “get it” his first year? I can’t recall a single one. Many times frontcourt players rely heavily on physical attributes in high school. It takes them a little to acclimate to the D1 game. Gordon looks like he could be a star, but I wouldn’t put a lot of expectations on him next season.

Comment

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, it's Shockernet where we're 'king' of "expectations". We can break-down a few minutes of video with the best... always great shooters in the posted videos. :)

• The Mad Hatter
      The Mad Hatter commented
      Editing a comment
      Markis had a nice freshman season at 7.4 ppg (4th on the team not counting Landry's average from 3 games), 3.3 rpg (5th on the team), and 27 steals (t3rd on the team) in 18.5 mpg (6th on the team).

• Topshock
      Topshock commented
      Editing a comment
      True, but the quality of recruits is continuing to improve, we hope.

• How about this? Our young man just made first-team All Alabama.

The 2018-19 ALL-USA Alabama Boys Basketball Team has been announced. Check out the selections!

Comment

• Good for DeAntoni.

We knew that he was in the Top 5 in Alabama. Evidently the 6' PG (Jr.) was #3 but I would think that an argument could be made for DG being third.

Comment

• I'm curious how high Mr. Gordon would have rose in the recruiting rankings if he hadn't committed to WSU when he was 12 (or at least that's how it feels like it has been).

Look at the stats

Trendon Watford, F, Mountain Brook, 6-9/230, Sr.
      The five-star recruit has yet to make his college decision, but finished his high school career with a championship season, during which he averaged 23 points and 11 rebounds a game.

DeAntoni Gordon, F, LeFlore Magnet (Mobile), 6-8/195, Sr.
      Ranked fourth among the state’s 2019 recruits, Gordon signed with Wichita State before recording 21.1 points and 9.5 rebound a game as a senior.

Watford is a 5* recruit ranked 27th yet averages just 2 more points and rebounds per game. Both are similar size (though Watford is heavier)

Gordon ranks in at 3* & 289th. 247 didn't even go through the effort of putting a picture up of him on his profile.

Comment

• shock
        shock commented
        Editing a comment
        Look at the rest. I’m not sure you can make that assessment from that blurb. Kobe Brown is a three star to Texas Tech and also has similar numbers.

• Shockm
        Shockm commented
        Editing a comment
        I would hope that player rankings aren’t predominantly made by numbers. If so, the rankings mean less than I originally thought. I would agree that most likely, DG’s late progress was either ignored or more likely, totally missed.

• Dark Lord
        Dark Lord commented
        Editing a comment
        AAU is where these rankings are mostly developed and not high school statistics

• I'm not 100% sure I'm right, but I believe recruiting services basically stop evaluating a player once they commit to a school. So yes, DG is probably underrated.

I know he's a match stick right now so I wish we'd have the ability to redshirt him, but since we're light on wings I don't think that's going to happen. But once he bulks up a little I think this dude could be a special player.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• rrshock
        rrshock commented
        Editing a comment
        Like or not, DG is always going to be compared to McDuffie.

• wufan
        wufan commented
        Editing a comment
        It sure seems that rankings jump/fall with offers from particular programs. With his early commitment, it’s likely that the big programs never jumped in and his ranking stagnated.

• Rocky Mountain Shock
        Rocky Mountain Shock commented
        Editing a comment
        Markis was indeed a bean pole his freshman year but playing against MVC wings. If we were in the AAC his freshman year I would have wanted him to redshirt too.

• I just hope he can jump higher and not get his shot blocked by smaller players.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• choida
        choida commented
        Editing a comment
        Fox move

• Dan
        Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        don't talk about Stutz like that

• wufan
        wufan commented
        Editing a comment
        It wasn’t the height of his jump, it was that he always ended up horizontal. If basketball doesn’t work out, he can always use the Fosbury Flop in the next Olympic Games.

• AZ I don't care what anybody says your last comment is funny. Lmao.

Comment

• My dream is for DG to be compared to Cle instead of McDuffie by the time he leaves.

Comment

• Dark Lord
          Dark Lord commented
          Editing a comment
          I have heard through the grapevine that a comparison to Early is much more accurate

• ShockAzs
          ShockAzs commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, much more Early than McDuffie. If everything is done right, I could see DG taking his skills to the next level.

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
        My dream is for DG to be compared to Cle instead of McDuffie by the time he leaves.
        My dream is for Cle to be compared to Deantoni by the time he leaves.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
          My dream is for DG to be compared to Cle instead of McDuffie by the time he leaves.
          I hear ya brother lol...

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Strangest signing of Gregg Marshall's career. So early, so committed, so talented.

You can tell immediately that he has superior bounce and leg strength to MM.

I'm going to expect him to arrive on campus at 6'6". If he shows up 6'7" or taller you can count me as excited.

T

Comment

• moshock
              moshock commented
              Editing a comment
              6'6" with the hair or without ??

• C0|dB|00ded
              C0|dB|00ded commented
              Editing a comment
              Very good question. Without.

T

• Shockm
              Shockm commented
              Editing a comment
              I think he has a Corn or callous on the bottom of his right foot which places the right side of his head to be 6’7.5” and his left side is only 6’7”.

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
            AZ I don't care what anybody says your last comment is funny. Lmao.
            Haha - yeah I love McDuff. Solid Shocker...just no hops. If he does find himself in the league...I hope he kicks it back out to a wide open shooter and not get stuffed while attempting a lay-up. Go Markis!!!!
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Dan
              Dan commented
              Editing a comment
              Markis will the wide open shooter. He will be like Kyle Korver, just camp out at the 3.

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
            How about this? Our young man just made first-team All Alabama.

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/2018-19...asketball-team
            I think there was another story that said he was selected 5A/6A player of the year too. We got some tough wing players coming in with him and Tre Wade. Oh my I am getting excited about this team. The players on this team must become a Band of Brothers to win big.

Comment

• WstateU
              WstateU commented
              Editing a comment
              I like it! "Band of Brothers" on three!

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
            Strangest signing of Gregg Marshall's career. So early, so committed, so talented.

You can tell immediately that he has superior bounce and leg strength to MM.

I'm going to expect him to arrive on campus at 6'6". If he shows up 6'7" or taller you can count me as excited.

T

It is a highlight film, but it appears that he can make one-foot and two-foot shots.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Just noticed that on Verbal Commits all four of our incoming recruits are listed as 4 star recruits.

Comment

• wufan
                wufan commented
                Editing a comment
                Old news. They all got a bump for signing with a P6 school.
            Working...
            X