Jeriah Horne pf 6-6 2016 to Nebraska to Tulsa to Colorado then back to Tulsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but any recruit who doesn't come to Wichita State just doesn't have any character and isn't willing to work hard. :rolls eyes:
    Nah...those recruits go to KU.
    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Honestly most recruits (particularly the one-and-dones) look at everything about a program, unfortunately beginning with what conference they are in. THEN they actually look at the program itself -- the coaching staff (and how likely that coaching staff will be there for their entire playing career), how much playing time is available, what players are surrounding them, and lastly, how hard they have to work. If you were 18, had a chance to play for a P5 team with an established coach that there is little chance they would leave, had an abundance of playing time available, had great talent all around you, AND could sit on your laurels and relax instead of giving 120%, would you choose a non-P5 conference team with a question mark about the coaching staff (no matter how much Marshall denies it), the playing time to be split up among one or two others, albeit having great talent around them, and you had to work your tail off? Face it, most kids are lazy or else they have an exaggerated sense of their own talents and don't think they have to work at all. Those are the kids we DON'T want.

Comment

I think 90% of college scholarship players work their asses off.
        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
          I think 90% of college scholarship players work their asses off.
          I would never call a 5* lazy but I would say that a good number of them that I've seen will start from Day 1 and never see the bench (see Selden and Alexander from KU). They just aren't hungry and when they are needed in the clutch, they don't come through.

Comment

I agree with Wufan - how do you think they became 5*s? Kids who work that hard to get to that point usually - not always - have a good work ethic and continue that.

Comment

Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post
              I agree with Wufan - how do you think they became 5*s? Kids who work that hard to get to that point usually - not always - have a good work ethic and continue that.
              5* players are usually uber talented.

I'll give you some more examples of the fine line between "hard work" and "hunger to be good".

FVV and Ron are hungry (they have talent too but it goes farther than that for them). Selby, Selden, Alexander, and even Little Wiggans are very talented and work hard, but they aren't hungry. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                5* players are usually uber talented.

I'll give you some more examples of the fine line between "hard work" and "hunger to be good".

FVV and Ron are hungry (they have talent too but it goes farther than that for them). Selby, Selden, Alexander, and even Little Wiggans are very talented and work hard, but they aren't hungry. Just my opinion.
                Maybe. I don't watch enough of them to comment on their "hunger". Very few teams play as much mistake free basketball as the Shockers. Not sure if that is drilling, discipline, or desire, but Marshall seems to have the ability to instill excellent excecution In his teams year after year. I just wouldn't label any recruit that doesn't play at WSU as lazy. Bottom line is that 95% of D-I bound high school seniors aren't recruited by WSU. 95% that are recruited by WSU will end up elsewhere, and for a variety of reasons. It does no one any good to put these kids down or act like we didn't want them after the fact. Shocker Nation is classier than that.
                Livin the dream

Comment

Transferring from Nebraska after one season. Averaged 4.5 points per game.

Comment

Why not do Hutch Juco for a year and then WSU?

Comment

We will need bigs.
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

Possible redshirt non-scholly next year and take over Brown's position at the 3?

Comment

Originally posted by SlyShock View Post
                          Possible redshirt non-scholly next year and take over Brown's position at the 3?
                          Depending on our staffs view of his skills, this could be an answer to adding to our teams experience because he would have one year experience under our system without spending a cent.

Comment

Watching him play several times this year, it will be interesting to see what our staff reevaluation of him is.

He will have to learn to play defense and practice like we do.
                            Last edited by shoxlax; March 15, 2017, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                              Watching him play several times this year, it will be interesting to see what our staff reevaluation of him is.

He will have to learn to play defense and practice like we do.
                              Have not seen him and he is now listed at 6'7", but even at that height, those are 2 pretty big items to overcome. From his stats, he seems to be able to do a number of things, but nothing that well. What do you see his pluses to be.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                                Have not seen him and he is now listed at 6'7", but even at that height, those are 2 pretty big items to overcome. From his stats, he seems to be able to do a number of things, but nothing that well. What do you see his pluses to be.
                                He can score and has decent range. Good offensive basketball IQ and if played a lot more minutes his % would probably increase.
                                By all accounts a good kid. Not overly explosive but not a bad athlete either.
                                I just don't know if the staff thinks he is a ready to play guy like we will need in 2018 but nothing would surprise me

Comment

Working...
                                X